Blogs
    To start out again ABW has been such an awesome resource for me as I venture into affiliate marketing. I am working on launching a blog on our website. I want to make sure I have all the steps covered to make sure the launch goes smoothly.
    1-Get host provider
    2-Get blogging software
    3-Create sub domain

I know I am missing some steps and info, your knowledgeable help would be greatly appreciated.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Here's what I can think of right away:

First, numbers 1 and 3: A subdomain, but on a new hosting provider?? I would think that you couldn't put a subdomain (yourblog.YOURdomain.com) at a different host than the main dom is: I'm sure I couldn't just set up, say, leader.yahoo.com somewhere and have it actually resolve to anything...

Or are you thinking of a "blog host" like Wordpress' free hosting option? Two problems with that: 1) Wordpress, and possibly others, have restrictions right out of Castro's Cuba for their hosting: No monetization of the blog, or promoting stuff! That alone makes their hosting option less than worthless, IMO. 2) there's the yourblog.THEIRdomain.com domain. Who needs their clunker domain when you can put the subdomain on your own dom, and run the software in your own place without restriction?

Then there's the software part. You'll want to customize the template, set up your options/preferences, etc...it's pretty easy (popular blog software usually has several fans who offer free templates that actually look good), but something to keep in mind. It's not 100% plug-n-play unless you actually like the lame & overused default look.

SPAMMERS:
    Install a CAPTCHA! And any other hurdles you can think of to jam up spambots! Once automated blogspambots find you, you'll get literally thousands of spam replies and robo-generated pings. I've cleared them out of my database by the 20,000s (literally)!

MODERATION: You'll need it right from the start. First, to delete spam. And, to put out flames and otherwise maintain the atmosphere you want.

If you won't be there to babysit it all the time and decide to send all incoming comments/pings to the mod queue, put some kind of a note on that posts will appear "within XX hours" so people know the blog isn't broken or abandoned.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

http and a telephoto
    Wordpress has good spam blocking plugins. I use it on my domains, and would recommend the non-hosted version. Like Leader pointed out, why would you think you need separate hosting?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Like Leader pointed out, why would you think you need separate hosting?
    Not necessarily a horrible idea, for IP reasons (backlinks).

However, with just one site backlinking in that way, that effect won't be dramatic.

Wordpress is a great solution though, and it's spam blocking capabilities are good.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Wordpress is a great solution though, and it's spam blocking capabilities are good.
    Maybe the newer versions of WP are better than mine, cuz mine usually get oodles of spam.

Leader: you should install the Akismet spam plugin, it usually comes with Wordpress. Stops spam in its tracks.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

good stuff guys thanks. Especially Leader, good info. So...if I don't need a seperate hosting provider do I just contact my current provider and provide the sub domain we want?

I have read some old threads and it seems wordpress is the preferred option. Do I just install Wordpress on our server and then set the preferences?

Subdomain might not even be what you want...www.yourdomain.com/blog/ might be fine too.

As for wordpress, head over to http://www.wordpress.org and download the package. You put up the files, create a table in your database, edit the configuration, and you're up and running in 5 minutes flat (they call it the 5 minute install). It's seriously easy.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    wordpress , I tried it early last year had it for 3 months running but kept getting spam, new version plugin takes care of everything.

Now wordpress is even better more features and we're inplementing again soon.

http and a telephoto
    Akismet rocks. If spam gets through, you mark it as spam and it remembers it next time. I set my comments to be moderated, at least to get Akismet trained so no spammers get free links
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    "Leader: you should install the Akismet spam plugin, it usually comes with Wordpress. Stops spam in its tracks."

There was actually a recent discussion about that:

http://www.jangro.com/a/2007/02/01/buh-bye-askimet/

I like the math plugin better.

For me, the less steps it takes for users to comment the better. So akismet seems like a better option for me...

CAPTCHA's and the like are just annoying IMO.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

ABW Ambassador
    What would be more annoying is flagging legit users/posts as spam. If I made a most somewhere and it was blocked because some plugin thought it was spam, I would never post there again. For the blog owner, you might have lost a great comment/future commenter.

4 + 3 =

Not hard.

Like the Jangro blog I linked too, most of the time you have to fill in some information like your name (at least) maybe an email address etc. On his blog before I post I get this:

Please add 0 and 4. sorry, this is to make sure you're a real person

4, easy. Just another option to consider.

I guess for now my sites don't get so much spam that I can't take a look at what Akismet caught every week or so and make sure there were no false positives. But if it ever gets too much to handle this might be a decent solution.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

very good info. Thanks everybody. I have installed wordpress(what a cool FREE piece of software) and am moving forward. I will keep you updated on how it works out.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Wordpress has good spam blocking plugins. I use it on my domains, and would recommend the non-hosted version. Like Leader pointed out, why would you think you need separate hosting?
    I agree the plugin is called Akismet and it does a really great job protecting your blog from SPAM.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread