Help I am losing my commissions
    hope this is the right area, I have noticed the last couple months my commissions are way down and only getting worse, I know of many purchases members/subscribers have made from various merchants that I am not getting credited for including some I made myself. My hits are higher than last year too. I have contacted the merchants directly and waiting to hear back but Is there a possibility my links are being hijacked? and if so how do I find out and what do I do?
    Ive always known a small percentage of my leads were gonna get lost or something but this is out of control.
    Thanks for any help you can give me
    Beth
    Piemomma

Going to the merchant and possibly the network seems to be the best recourse. I may be wrong, but I don't think you'll ever be able to find out who or what is hijacking your links, only the merchant and the network has those stats. I'd search this forum for your merchants to see if they are scummy or if they have big parasites in their program.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Questions:

If I click on one of my affiliate links and buy something from the merchant on the same visit it would be impossible for someone to steel my commission, right??

Is there a list of Parasite Sites? I am assuming that a Parasite site puts their affiliate cookies on the visitorís workstation for several merchants over writing my cookies?

If I click on one of my affiliate links and buy something from the merchant on the same visit it would be impossible for someone to steel my commission, right??
    Maybe. If your computer has spyware/adware on it this might not be the case. Catch up on the latest at http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Online Marketing Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by kse
    Questions:

No it isn't impossible. A good example was used i this situation at Affiliate Summit where when someone went to one site and registered, the site was using I believe an adware program where they were also donating money to charity. The person filled out the forms etc... and then went to another site and clicked an affiliate link for the same merchant from the same company and when they did that, a pop-up came up asking if they wanted to still donate to that charity enabling them to overwrite your cookie and steal the commission.

The second way your cookie can be stolen after they get to the site is when the person is in the shopping cart. If the person abandons it, other companies are hired to contact these people and then try to finalize the sale. They also replace the cookie so that they can get their part of the sale. There are a few out there which do have commission sharing, but they are far and few between. You might want to look at the merchants and see if there is any of this going on.

I'm sure these are only two of many ways that your cookie can be re-written lastminute.

On a side note though, some parasites will keep links or logos of programs on their site even though they do not work. It is very hard for some of us to get in contact with them so we can have it removed, so if you do find a merchant who you did well for and they are also listed on parasites sites, with working links, contact the AM and talk to him/her about it before announcing that the program allows parasites etc....

Most of the time the AMs will look into it and get a resolution for you. It might be what you want to hear or what you do not want to hear, but regardless; when you report this to the AM it then becomes the merchants responsibility to contact the parasite and find out what is going on. Hopefully they boot the parasite asap from the program.

But I can tell you from speaking with other AMs who I will not mention, some of them prefer to have parasites because they keep the programs up nice and high even though they hurt and steal from the company and the other affiliates. If this is the case, move on to a different merchant who cares for you as the affiliate.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Thanks for the replies, its very upsetting but there is always one more challenge around the corner for us.
    I tried using htaccess which I had used years before for redirects, well I messed up something when I ftp'd and now it wont work...Now I have a migraine..lol
    I can't win, hoping hubby can figure it out when he gets home.
    What about tinyurl? I have used them for a long time in my newsletter but I am wondering does that open me up to be hijacked easier or do you feel tinyurl is safe and keeps your cookies and tracking in line?
    Gonna go check on my baby goats now, they dont need redirecting, cloaking or programming...just love and food..lol

Piemomma

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread