Question River Fishing (Angling) Tips
    Getting ready to explore the great English river Thames for late Winter - Spring fishing (mostly angling unless anyone else has better ideas). Any advice from experience would be much appreciated... Doesn't have to be the English fishing experience. Any river fishing tips would help.

Many thanks in advance,

Geno

What species?
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

If there are any floating plants (camaloti here) that are going down stream try casting a float near by so your bait appears to be part of the natural flow of the river. When trying this you may need a few different depths till you get it right so a rig that allows you to change the depth on the fly is best.

If fishing the bottom make sure your using a sinker that is not going to "roll" down stream to the first snag.

Try to find the channels in the river, but don't forget sometimes the fish are biting close to shore! Try a few different baits and ask around people will ussually like to brag if they are catching anything.

all this to be taken with a grain of salt....i just got back from fishing this weekend and all i got was a sun burn :-)

Best of Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lilly
    What species?
    Whatever bites, man...

Seriously though, I think this time of the year is a good time for pike and perch. May also catch dace and/or roach.

Geno

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    The Thames is probably not a good river for fly fishing, especially this time of year. I'd imagine the fish are holled up in the deeper pools early morning, and then if the sun makes a good appearance, around 10 am - 11 am some will move into shallower / warmer water.

I don't know the water temp of the Thames this time of year so I am assuming it will be cold water (45 - 55 degrees) If you do fly fish and you want to have a ball going after pike, try a 6" long black and red maribou leach streamer pattern with lightly weighted head and a strip of flash on the underside. Works GREAT on pike everywhere here in N. America, and I suspect it would there also.

My best advice though would be to drop into a local fishing shop, turn on some of that charm, talk to a few guides or experienced fishermen in the shop and see what they say.

Have fun and remember to share pics with us when you get back.

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Alan, thank you for your post, and for sharing how you pike-fish in N. America. Surely an interesting piece of info to remember...

Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    My best advice though would be to drop into a local fishing shop, turn on some of that charm, talk to a few guides or experienced fishermen in the shop and see what they say.
    This was exactly my plan (I've already planned a trip to a shop for this coming Thursday before going to the river on Friday-Saturday). Great minds think alike, huh?

Have fun and remember to share pics with us when you get back.
    Don't even doubt it! Let's only hope I will not be the only one in the pictures...

Geno

This was exactly my plan (I've already planned a trip to a shop for this coming Thursday before going to the river on Friday-Saturday). Great minds think alike, huh?

Is it that obvious??

Don't even doubt it! Let's only hope I will not be the only one in the pictures...

If you bomb, remember there is always a fish market or dock nearby where you can "Rent a Pike" - heard that's a growing industry. Maybe you could put something together with them for a new AFF program. A coupon site would be a natural for that one. Tie it in with Hertz, Avis, Hotels dot com etc etc.

Either way - have a ball Geno. It's cool that you enjoy fishing - great way to spend a day (or a life).

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

If you bomb, remember there is always a fish market or dock nearby where you can "Rent a Pike" - heard that's a growing industry. Maybe you could put something together with them for a new AFF program. A coupon site would be a natural for that one. Tie it in with Hertz, Avis, Hotels dot com etc etc.

I used to drift wet flies on a noodle rod with 8lb test and a small cork float.This TORE UP the salmon and steelhead. Steelhead are smart though - it was essential to make sure the fly had a natural drift. In order to do that, I raised the rod tip to make sure the line didn't touch the water before it hit the cork. This prevented the bait from being caught in a weird cross-current drift as the current pulled on the line. (I'm not much of a fly fisherman, so Alan's methods woulda been lost on me.)

I'd chuck it 2-3 feet in front of a gravel hole, drift 2-3 feet after the end of the hole, pick up and repeat.

The real fun was fighting a 20 lb fish on 8lb line. In the large creeks/small streams I was fishing, I had to remember to keep my legs together. Otherwise, they'd run between my legs and make me break my rod (happened twice), flip myself over and flood my waders trying to fight them (also happened twice), or spit the hook when the line went slack (happened lots).
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

Internet Cowboy
    Find current, then find a point that protrudes out into the river where the current is. Fish the downstream side of the point. Fish will be hiding on the downstream side of the point looking for bait to get push by from the current.
    Fish it from all angles, fish from the downstream side, the upstream side and any other possible angle. Sometimes they like it from one direction over another. Check and see when the major and minor feed time for the day is, see any almanac. This is more of a freshwater calculation becuase in saltwater the feeds are often prompted by the tides.
    If all else fails, go to Punta Gorda and have Alan take you to the dock.

Scooter wrote: "Sometimes they like it from one direction over another"

Scoot, we ARE talking about fishing - right???

Alan, you're baaaad....

Scoot, thank you for your insight!!

Geno

Geno, shame on you...
    I was referring to fish preferring that the bait come downstream instead of upstream!! hehe

A lot depends on the water... Do you know what it's like in the places you're going? I've never seen the Thames, except for pix of it being deep and sluggish in London.

Are we looking at shallow, faster water (headwaters), or slower deeper water?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    Are we looking at shallow, faster water (headwaters), or slower deeper water?
    Shallower and faster (well, not sure that it is much faster than in London, but definitely fast and shallower than in London), Kevin. I will be fishing in Oxford. This is the first half (or even one-third) of the river; some 150 miles away from London against the current...

Geno

Geno, BTW, if you are using spinning gear, you can still use the 6" leach pattern I mentioned in previous post. It is a killer on Pike. There are several variations, some with maribou and some tied with a strip of rabbit fur. To give you an idea of what they look like try this:

http://www.alaskaflyfishingonline.co...epredator.html

Cast it 45 degrees upstream toward the shore line. Allow the current to begin to swing it. This emulates a small bait fish or leach entering the current. Retrieve it by reeling continually, at varied speeds and while reeling "jig" it with small jerking motion to make it rise a little and fall. The strikes you get on these streamers is vicious and it's a ball.

The local shop you visit before you hit the river should have similar patterns. Pike will eat big fish so don't be afraid to go 6" or even 8" on the pattern. If the water is clear, use white and chartruse variations. If the water is unclear (as I believe the Thames is for the most part) use the black body with the red maribou and flash strip (foil strip with spectrum colors like the tinsel you put on Christmas trees). Enjoy

Hi Geno,

I would advise float fishing for barbel/chubb. Definately go with luncheon meat as bait as it just never fails for me. (I am about 100 miles north of you)

Alternatively, for barbel use a swim-feeder on the bottom.

Bit cold thit time of year for me, so good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Doesn't have to be the English fishing experience. Any river fishing tips would help.
    Yikes - I missed that bit about any river fishing.

If I were going out fishing for little s in a strange river, fast or slow, wide or narrow, my fall back is always a jar of earth worms - if regulations allow. It should be easy to dig them up over there or buy them from the tackle shop.

Four great tips to catch earth worms fast :
    1. Best is to go to the local dump and search between the trash and the soil, over there you might get those very red worms (I forget what they call them, "brandling worms" or something...No, not "branding worms") anyways they are the best and the most wriggly.

2. Dig them in the yard

3. Get a bucket of soapy water and through it over the lawn, and the worms should all dart to the surface - big ones too!! But you'll need to wash the soap off,

4. Go out in the dark at night time with a flash light and find them on the lawn.

I'm not sure how well the above works in frosty winter conditions, but keep it in mind for another time.

Unless fishing for pike, I would use 3lb or less breaking strain line and a smallish hook - say 1 cm in length and a small sliding weight for ground fishing.

It really depends on what you're fishing for. Good luck and have fun!!

Get a bucket of soapy water and through it over the lawn, and the worms should all dart to the surface - big ones too!! But you'll need to wash the soap off,

Mr Jones, how the heck are you!! With the advice above I assume you are a landscaper, or own a Chem Lawn franchise and you are trying to create new business there in Ft. Collins? If I still used worms, given a choice between soaping spots in my lawn and spending $2.50 to buy a dozen at the store - I'll part with $2.50 LOL

Not that I am a big fan of worms, but this one is just cruel, man:

Quote Originally Posted by mr_jones
    3. Get a bucket of soapy water and through it over the lawn, and the worms should all dart to the surface - big ones too!! But you'll need to wash the soap off
    ...and the part that totally kills me is having to then wash every worm to get the soap off.

[just teasing, mr_jones]

Seriously though, worms can be excellent. I remember catching a good size perch (among smaller ones) in central Finland last summer using a regular worm for bait...

Geno

One thing is for sure......

You'd have the cleanest lawn in the neighborhood!!

If I still used worms, given a choice between soaping spots in my lawn and spending $2.50 to buy a dozen at the store - I'll part with $2.50 LOL
    LOL.

Oh, it rains like heck over there Alan - no one will ever notice the soapy spots.

But that's like going to the store and buying fishing instead of catching them!! Where's the adversity and adventure in that??

THen when Geno catches something he can awe, mystify and impress the guys in the pub afterwards.

Guess, he could always tell them he uses only the best bred imported Siberian dancing worms, which of course he sells for $2.50 a piece!

But that's like going to the store and buying fishing instead of catching them!! Where's the adversity and adventure in that??
    I agree.

THen when Geno catches something he can awe, mystify and impress the guys in the pub afterwards.

Guess, he could always tell them he uses only the best bred imported Siberian dancing worms, which of course he sells for $2.50 a piece!
    There you go (two-in-one: a business idea and a selling point)!!

Geno

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread