Duplicate Google AdSense 1099s
    I picked up my mail from my "old" address today, and found not one but two 1099s from Google Inc. There's no date (sent prepaid first class, so no meter date nor postmark), and neither version has the "corrected" box checked.

At first, I worried that this might create a problem with the IRS, but I confirmed that both 1099s reflect the same amount (and the same account number).

As usual, of all my 1099s, the only one that actually matches my current records is the one from Amazon.com, so I'll need to spend some time reconciling all these numbers. In the past, it usually turns out that I've recorded a check deposit incorrectly, and everything balances after I fix those.

I got 2 - 1099's from google as well a few days apart.
    Both are exactly the same.

ABW Ambassador
    Same here, got 2 of them exactly the same.

Sounds like google scewed the pooch

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Um guys, unless I misunderstand IRS code, you are supposed to get TWO copies of the 1099. We just sent 1099's to indy affiliates today, and I helped stuff the envelopes, two copies to each affiliate.

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

ABW Ambassador
    Google sent out 2 x 2

CJ 1 x 2

Shareasale 1 x 1

Performics 1 x 1

1 x 1 = Copy B for recipient, 1 copy
    1 x 2 = Copy B for recipient, 2 copy
    2 x 2 = Copy B for recipient, 2 copys with 2 copys

The second is usually for state when required.

Bingo Trust!! We have a winner
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

http and a telephoto
    They sent it out in two separate mailings, which they did not do in years past. As long as they didn't report it twice to the IRS, all is well. If they double reported, well that could be a problem!!!!!!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

We sent out 1099's to indys last year in two mailings and had several that thought we had mistakenly reported double payments too - so this year both went in one envelope. Ellen and I were busy stuffing and licking envelopes in her 4Runner this afternoon. She had run out of windowed envelopes - so off to Staples, and then stuff and seal. Talk about a mobile accounting department!!

I wonder how many 4Runners Google has to use to stuff and seal on the run like that?

Unhappy
    Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    Um guys, unless I misunderstand IRS code, you are supposed to get TWO copies of the 1099. We just sent 1099's to indy affiliates today, and I helped stuff the envelopes, two copies to each affiliate.

Alan
    Are you sure about this? All of my other merchants only sent me one 1099. Google Adsense was the only one that sent me two. (exactly the same, separate envelopes, arrived the same day in my box)

Yeah, as someone who has been getting 1099's for about 35 years, all my 'copies' are always in the same mailing. but YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by gamiziuk
    Are you sure about this?:
    Yep. A quick call to a CPA can eliminate any confusion you may have.

ABW Ambassador
    Something else odd google did. If you have multiple accounts, they combined the earnings into one 1099. Not a big deal as technically it is the same entity, it was just nice to have the two numbers always seperated.

Chet

I'm not sure what the IRS rules are, but logically it seems that there should only be 1099 per entity (or per taxpayer ID number) -- so Google's consolidation approach makes sense. (I only have one personal AdSense account at Google, so I haven't dealt with this issue.)

In some years, I receive two different 1099s from a merchant, usually because I did fee-based consulting work in addition to affiliate earnings.

I would expect that this is one of the ten-zillion factors that, when combined together, could potentially trigger an audit -- because if someone gets two 1099s, especially if one of them is under $1,000, then the IRS might suspect that the person may have created multiple accounts in order to circumvent 1099 reporting, and thus might have under-reported income).

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    I would expect that this is one of the ten-zillion factors that, when combined together, could potentially trigger an audit -- because if someone gets two 1099s, especially if one of them is under $1,000, then the IRS might suspect that the person may have created multiple accounts in order to circumvent 1099 reporting, and thus might have under-reported income).
    I believe you are correct Mark. Our accountant mentioned that to us last year.

Alan

ABW Ambassador
    It is just odd, because previously they had sent 2.

I would imagine that they either streamlined it, or perhaps their accounting team felt that it could possbibly be a flag that could trigger an audit and perhaps they want to help publishers avoid the possibility? But it is convenient to see separate earnings reports from 1099 partners.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread