Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Snickers pulls superbowl commercial
    Just read this article about the Snickers commercial that aired during Superbowl being pulled in response to complaints. When I saw the commercial I thought nothing of it other than it was funny. Guess maybe they'd object to the scene from Planes, Trains and Automobiles where John Candy and Steve Martin wake up and realize that Candy's "other hand" is not between two pillows!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6446946?MSNHPHMA
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Talking
    Just goes to show you that you can always manage to offend someone. I understand that there are feminist groups boycotting (or would that be girlcotting) Snickers because they have nuts.
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    That was a funny commercial, kind of stupid. If they were going to drop it, they should have done so because it was ignorant, not because someone got their knickers wedged up their hiney.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

I didn't find it offensive, but I didn't find it funny either. To each their own I suppose. You gotta' love the "let's never say anything that might ever make anyone uncomfortable" environment we live in. Not that I don't think that one should be respectful of others, but it seems that people are living a little too uptight these days.

I think people need to do a better job of picking their battles.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Not only Snickers but now Prince getting his share.

Was Prince's pose phallic?

Prince's acclaimed performance included a guitar solo during the "Purple Rain" segment of his medley in which his shadow was projected onto a large, flowing beige sheet. As the 48-year-old rock star let rip, the silhouette cast by his figure and his guitar (shaped like the singer's symbol) had phallic connotations for some. Controversy raised over Prince performance

I heard on the radio today that there was another alternate ending where the two mechanics drink gasoline to be "manly". How is that "manly"? I suppose that is why I don't understand guys. Speaking of offending Super Bowl commercials, the National Restaurant Association was upset about the K-Fed commerical.

I wasn't offended by the Snickers ad. I just didn't think it was funny. Everyone in the room watching it with me just kind of looked at each other and said "well, that one was stupid".

I also noticed the Prince thing, as did everyone watching with me. Again, personally, I wasn't offended, but I also didn't think it was really something appropriate for a show that kids were watching. You'd think after the "wardrobe malfunction", they'd be a little more sensitive to these types of issues.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

The snickers commercial was horrible and not even remotely funny, although i will say the drinking gasoline would have been far more manly than ripping out chest hair.

The thing I think is funny about this whole thing is that many people think straight guys got this pulled since it was two guys kissing. The fact is that straight men have no ability to get this pulled even if they wanted to. The commercial was pulled because gay and lesbian groups found it demeaning (Although I can't really follow their logic)....

Overall I think the main reason it was pulled was because it wasn't good and NO ONE liked it..easier to get something pulled when no one is on its side.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I think some people are using the pretext of offense at the Super Bowl commercials and half-time show to draw attention to themselves and their organizations. I find it difficult to believe that so many people are so outraged.

Next Super Bowl one of my web sites is going to become hugely offended by the half-time show. I'll get my web site name in all the papers. People will think I'm a jerk but hey...it's free advertising. I'm a marketing genius, I am.

Forgive me for being English and therefore ignorant to US commercials, but I noticed whilst on a US proxy (was SEO'ing) that there was a link to "The latest superbowl commercial" on the Google homepage - that wasn't it, was it?!
    [URL=http://www.freshgadgets.co.uk]Fresh gadgets[/URL]

Harvey- You don't really explain the commercial much there, but if there were two guy mechanics having a lady and the tramp moment with a snickers over an engine block, and then ripping out their chest hair then you found it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Next Super Bowl one of my web sites is going to become hugely offended by the half-time show. I'll get my web site name in all the papers. People will think I'm a jerk but hey...it's free advertising. I'm a marketing genius, I am.
    Pure genius, Rhea. Perhaps next time I shall make it a point to be offended too and tell everyone about it on my websites! I'll also have some press releases at the ready.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Online Marketing Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by Maim133

The thing I think is funny about this whole thing is that many people think straight guys got this pulled since it was two guys kissing. The fact is that straight men have no ability to get this pulled even if they wanted to. The commercial was pulled because gay and lesbian groups found it demeaning (Although I can't really follow their logic)....
    Maim, for some reason your post is agitating me. Although you might not be able to follow their logic, there is a big issue with it because of alot of the things going on politically right now.

It signifies that it is digusting to be gay, or that gay men are not manly, etc... It helps to further stereotypes of the gay community and also helps to strengthen political poise on certain issues in certain communities. I know that sounds a bit ridiculous, but it is true.

Also there are plenty of gay groups, and I believe the gay guy they were interviewing on CNN lastnight, which have all come out (no punn intended) and said that the uprising is just stupid, it is a commercial and don't look too much into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maim133

Overall I think the main reason it was pulled was because it wasn't good and NO ONE liked it..easier to get something pulled when no one is on its side.
    I also disagree on this comment. I absolutely loved it and was cracking up when I watched it. I thought it was funny as heck. I would have much preferred to see them drink gasoline then torch themselves for having to react with soo much insanity, but hey that is just me.

The commercial was great and it got a good chuckle out of me.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Internet Cowboy
    I think the Snickers commercial is HILARIOUS!!! Straight, gay, bi, small farm animals or any other preference, anyone who is offended by that ad needs to check themselves in for some self esteem improvement exercises.
    As for Prince's performance, gimme a frickin break on the phalic guitar. Prince has played that guitar for 20 years and it just now becomes a pecker? Geeeeeeeze! Some in this country need to realize that the very core of everything artistic is the difference(s) between women and men. This goes back to ancient Greece and I'm bettin' it ain't gonna change.
    As performers go, Prince is a stud! Like him or not, you have to give it to him. He has endured the years and still rocks like he did in the 80s. He is a great guitar player and has an awesome voice, not to mention writing LOTS of hit songs for himself and others.

Online Marketing Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    I think the Snickers commercial is HILARIOUS!!! Straight, gay, bi, small farm animals or any other preference, anyone who is offended by that ad needs to check themselves in for some self esteem improvement exercises.
    As for Prince's performance, gimme a frickin break on the phalic guitar. Prince has played that guitar for 20 years and it just now becomes a pecker? Geeeeeeeze! Some in this country need to realize that the very core of everything artistic is the difference(s) between women and men. This goes back to ancient Greece and I'm bettin' it ain't gonna change.
    As performers go, Prince is a stud! Like him or not, you have to give it to him. He has endured the years and still rocks like he did in the 80s. He is a great guitar player and has an awesome voice, not to mention writing LOTS of hit songs for himself and others.

Very well said =0)
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    I think some people are using the pretext of offense at the Super Bowl commercials and half-time show to draw attention to themselves and their organizations.
    Exactly. The more controversial something is, the more people talk about it. If you can get a commercial banned, everyone will want to see it. If it doesn't get enough attention, just "pull the commercial because people are offended" and you'll draw some extra attention.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

http and a telephoto
    I thoroughly enjoyed the Prince performance, I though Purple Rain was outstanding and the silhouette portion was pure genius. I didn't see anything offensive about it at all. Some people have brains on phallic overload and see things where they aren't.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I liked was the "one finger" ad for e trade - thought it was brilliant.

And yeah Scoot, Prince ROCKS!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    lol, people complaining about Prince and phallic symbols. I wish we can pick a state we're not using like one of the Dakotas and just move them all there.

Yeah I saw the Prince thing and even commented on the "image" that it portrayed. I just find it ridiculous to get all freaked out by it. Aren't there more important things to get uptight about than that? {sigh}

As for Prince, I was never really a fan back in the day, but have to give him props for still being an amazing performer. I thought he did an awesome job.

Chris Rock does a routine about Michael Jackson, where he talks about how back in the day everyone used to debate who was better, Michael or Prince?

..... Prince won.

Sheri

People have to find SOMETHING to complain about. I am working on doing my part as well so they have more to complain about.

Ah, the free publicity.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I thought the snickers commercial was really funny and it didn't strike me as a gay issue at all, that is why I think all the hullabaloo about it is silly.

My other favorite was the Oprah & Letterman skit!
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

a super bowl ad that millions see and do nothing about buying the product is a waste of money. Get someone offended and the viral marketing campaign it creates is genious. I havent had a snickers bar lately and the ad will not make me go out and buy one so the ad failed with me.

They should have bought an adwords ad with the money and only used the content part of the network. At least they would have got people to the website. Oh wait the campaign was made to shock people and get them talking so the ad in the mind of snickers probably worked.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

At least with a Superbowl ad 40% of your traffic would not be fraudulent.

Many companies have been very successful with superbowl ads. Example is the lock company that doesn't do ANY advertising throughout the year, and then bought just one superbowl ad a year and it kept them in business and boosted them. Though I don't think they do it anymore since it so much more expensive.

I have also read how it really does boost a smaller company to the forefront. Though seems like this year they were nearly all big company ads. I guess at 2.6 million per ad not many small companies are willing to take the risk anymore.

Speaking of the best commercials, I like the Doritos one(Live the Flavor) (made by individuals, not the company) with them crashing the car and she falls over. I thought that we pretty creative and sure didn't cost them much to produce it (since they didn't). It was fairly funny, but none were really great.

YouTube still has most of the commercials:

http://youtube.com/superbowl

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast