YSM FRAUD on Partner Networks
    I am absolutely LIVID! I just did a search for my domain name on AltaVista and one of my YSM ads came up for totally unrelated keywords.

In other words, typed "myDomain.com" into AltaVista and my ad for the keyword "Green Widgets" showed.

HOW CAN YSM ALLOW THIS KIND OF CRAP?

If you are talking about Yahoo, their targeting has always been questionable and off, and nowhere near as good as googles (unfortunately).

Yeah, Yahoo, and I have Content Match Turned off. Its fraud, plain and simple. I am only running two test adgroups for search to see how their new system works. I don't have my domain name in my keywords. They are showing my most expensive keyword for my own domain name. e.g. the keyword "XBOX 360" for "domain.com".

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    yahoo's roi for advertisers continues the slide into the abyss.

turn Y content off (you said you did, i'm speaking to others).

turn advanced match off and leave it off forever.

experiment with lower bids that keep you out of spots 1 thru 3, you'll be targeted for fraud less often cuz it pays so much less.

make smaller, more focued groupings of keywords at Y.

spend more of your time at MSN and G, the roi is much higher.

don't ever let their reps work on your account - they target like jethro's double barreled sawed-off.

set your budget tight, tight, tight - spikes at Y are common and they're almost always bunk clicks. you'll still have a crap day or two or three - clipping the spike doesn't avoid it, it just keeps it from digging through your pocket, up your spine and into your kidneys.

and if you go through either the upgrade-to-panama process or importing-your-google-info into panama, turn your account off before, during and after the process so you can take a few days to review everything before flipping the switch back on.

did i mention... turn advanced match off and leave it off forever... :-)

Thanks Donuts. I just looked at the online help for Advanced Match. Wow, what BS. I never would have guessed. I mean, what is the point of defining keywords if they do crap like this:

"Advanced match type ads are displayed for a broader range of searches related to your keywords, titles, descriptions and/or web content. By default, all ads are set to the advanced match type."

I'm wondering if the new Panama will fix these kinds of things. Anyone with experience used it?
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Quote Originally Posted by MINDsprinter
    I'm wondering if the new Panama will fix these kinds of things. Anyone with experience used it?
    This is Panama that we are talking about, unfortunately....

True, its been delayed forever. But I read a news story the other day that it was finally getting rolled out. Anyone notice anything new?
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Is there a way to import a spreadsheet of keywords with destination URLs and keyword specific bids in Panama? I asked about this for the current system and they said it's not supported. Also, does Yahoo support dynamic keyword insertion for the ad content?

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    did i mention... turn advanced match off and leave it off forever...
    and, oh yeah, i remembered one other thing, turn off advanced match...

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    and, oh yeah, i remembered one other thing, turn off advanced match...

:-)
    I did that the second I read your first post.

Online Marketing Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    Is there a way to import a spreadsheet of keywords with destination URLs and keyword specific bids in Panama? I asked about this for the current system and they said it's not supported. Also, does Yahoo support dynamic keyword insertion for the ad content?

- Scott

yes and Yes to both. We recently finished the migration to the new interface and they do accept spreadsheets and they do have dynamic keyword insertion.

One thing they have also added is dynamic keyword insertion to the ad text as well. BTW if you are just starting your migration get ready for a headache! It can be very very very torubling!

One thing if you do not want to have to re-create all of your campaigns that they are also offering to migrate is the use of your google campaign. They have a conversion tool which translates your google adwords campaign into Yahoo Search format.

Good:
    saves you time because you can just upload the new campaign if your old one was erased.

You do not have to worry about the new system automatically moving keywords and grouping odd combinations of keywords together and you will not have to worry about the new system redirecting your keywords and ads to the incorrect landing pages.

Bad:
    Google campaigns and yahoo campaigns should be different. not only are your ads going to be different due to character counts and spaces, but the traffic if you pay attention responds differently so you should be careful with it.

When converting to the new system, it will erase or delete some or all of your negative keywords, be cautious.

Some of your ads will end up with quotation marks on them. You will need to manually go through and remove them or there is a very good chance your ads will be disaproved or not upload correctly.

In google, you have two lines and if you do not make complete sentences, your yahoo ad might not make sense when it is thrown onto one line.

All of your ads will need to be re-reviewed and submitted to editorial. (we all know the headache that creates)

there are a few other bad points, however oddly enough it worked out very positively for my campaigns to just use our google campaign and then amke adjustments.

Scott, send me an e-mail for the uploader spreadsheet template if you want it.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread