Question Does Care2 Use a BHO?
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...7&page=3&pp=25

Someone in that thread said Care2 uses the TopMoxie BHO application, according to ther privacy page. I looked on the page and didn't see anything at all about this. Did I miss something? Are they serving pop-up ads and overwriting cookies for Care2, or is this something that has since been done away with?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    at times, i have heard people say they've stopped "using" it where "using", when probing deeper, means distributing it (so they stopped downloading it, but still controls 1,000's of existing installs to steal commissions).

if in doubt, read here:
    http://www.care2.com/aboutus/privacy.html#topmoxie
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    What are the privacy standards for the Green Thumbs-Up and the TopMoxie software used to run it?

Care2 has partnered with TopMoxie to provide you with the Green Thumbs-Up. TopMoxie is the only browser companion that places complete control of privacy issues in the hands of the consumer. The service does not collect any personally identifiable information from users and therefore ensures privacy protection and end-user anonymity.

Once you download the Green Thumbs-Up, you will receive customized offers to support your cause while you shop online. TopMoxie performs partner-defined tasks based on your web activity and preferences. We do not collect any personally identifiable information. The information in the Green Thumbs-Up is encrypted and stored on your computer, so it is protected and in your possession.

Since the Green Thumbs-Up includes both a client (software) and server (network) component, Green Thumbs-Up does communicate with your computer on a regular basis. Green Thumbs-Up retrieves various offers for you from our server and stores them on your computer so that they are ready for you when you visit a web site where that offer would be appropriate. In addition, Green Thumbs-Up self-updates to ensure system compatibility.

The only data TopMoxie transfers from your computer to their servers is a log of the Green Thumbs-Up product performance which they analyze in aggregate to enhance the service. TopMoxie may also share aggregate data with Care2. There is nothing in TopMoxie service, data collection or business analysis that relates to you as an individual.

And the limited data TopMoxie does store on their servers is physically locked up and protected by a firewall for safety.

In the future, we may offer additional TopMoxie services. In each such case, you will need to proactively opt-in to the additional services. Some of these services may require personal information. You will be notified at the time you opt-in to any such services that we are collecting new information.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When you go to their privacy page, take note of this little item:
    http://www.care2.com/help/membership/privacy.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The TRUSTe program covers information that is collected through this Web site (care2.com). The TRUSTe program does not cover information that may be collected through software downloaded from the site.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Does this sound like someone to have in your program? I say hell no.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    http://www.care2.com/greenthumb/index.html

Linked to from the front page of their shopping section.

Sure looks like they are still using it. And not too hard to find. Took me less than 2 secs.

That is really annoying....

Internet Cowboy
    Spyware, pure & simple! Wrap it up to look like it saves trees, supports the troops, pays you cash back or whatever, but it is SPYWARE and should be treated as such.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    they've got college savings covered, things like "care" and "green" covered, school fundraising, giving to the needy...

but they're all for profit companiies...

think they're working on saving-babies.com, cure-cancer.com, help-an-old-lady-across-the-street.com, help-cher-get-her-ribs-implanted-back.com, no-more-clubbed-baby-harp-seals.com, sex-offenders-and-pedaphiles-need-nice-neighborhoods-too.com, tithe-via-bho-for-free.com and destroy-evil-greedy-people-that-arent-us.com...

the ones that use a cover story are worse in my mind, wolves in sheeps clothing and all that...

Thanks guys. I guess I should have done a CTR+F on that page. Too much text makes me miss things. Oh well. It is most appreciated.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Ah just what I was looking for

YEs they do, not only that they target the ORGANIC results on Google, redirect through their site, stuff the cookie with tracking WITHOUT consumer interaction and then roll back to the Merchant site.... the clever part is you do not see the LS redirect. But it happens and the cookie is updated!

That's got to be a violation of everyones T&C.

Cheers

chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread