I just got an email from a well-known credit card company asking that their affiliates refrain from using email, pop-ups and pop-unders to market their program between 10 September and 12 September, in observance of 9-11

I think the no email part is a good idea, but the pop-ups/unders doesn't make sense to me, since visitors would have to be visting your site for those to appear.

ABW Ambassador
    I must have missed the point here somewhere. How does not sending marketing email or using popups/unders have any relationship with September 11th at all.

I can just about see that there will probably be a great deal more use of email on that day than on a normal day and people will want to have fast personal contact, but this request does not seem to be referring to that at all.

I'm in all in favour of taking some time out that day to think about things that are a little more important than SEO or affiliate marketing, but this kind of crassness really makes me quesy

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

If they intend to advertise the fact they asked people to refrain from advertising on those dates, I'd say they are truely crass indeed.

Otherwise, I'd go along with what they ask - will it cost you that much to drop their ads for those days?

I think the entent of 9/11 were to knock down our commerce. I think on 9/11 this year we should all go and spend money.

Seriously, I don't think we should shut down things - then we would be doing exactly what these terrorist wanted (for at least one day).

Silent reflection, prayers and other things are much more appropriate.

Ron
    7 Days A Week Marketing

"Keep your hands out of my cookie jar!"

The specific language in the email was

"Out of respect for the victims and those who will be mourning during this time period, please suspend all intrusive marketing related to [merchant_name] from September 10th to September 12th.

Please note that intrusive marketing includes email, pop-ups and pop-unders."

This is a company who was directly affected by the World Trade Center tragedy and in fact lost a number of people to it. While it doesn't make a great deal of sense asking to suspend popups/unders, I don't think it is meant to exploit the tragedy, and sounds like a primarily emotional request.

{

Stuff that makes me go, "huh?"

7-days hit the nail on the head. The intention was to disrupt our lives and we need to show them it does not! Quite prayer and reflection and remebering is what is needed.

Lets also not forget that this is a global community and American has had a long time without dealing with what the rest of the world deals with on a regular basis. They had there shot and it was big, but any loss of life do to terrorism is too big!

I hope everyone finds themselves well and comfortable on Sept. 11th and we continue to go about our daily lives with the knowledge that the people who have lost there lives due to terrorism did not leave behind a scared and frightened world, but a world that is standing together to abolish this insanity.

Just my 2.

Craig

Huh?

I don’t understand. What is wrong with general marketing of any kind that would interfere with a person taking a moment to reflect on 9-11…or, for that matter, on any Sunday, or for that matter, Christmas, or for that matter Easter, or for THAT Matter, Memorial day when we honor ALL who have fallen in the defense of our country.

Will Texaco shut down its pumps? I doubt it.

Will WalMart Refuse to accept money at their registers? I doubt it
    In my opinion, The 9-11 Attacks on the World Trade Center, The Pentagon and the Thwarted Attack (on God Knows What) deserve a remembrance. I think it should be a day designated as is Pearl Harbor Day - a day to remember and reflect.
    But, Stopping general commerce for even a second would be tantamount to capitulation to those that performed that heinous crime.
    That is what the WORLD TRADE CENTER was all about !!!
    TRADE !
    My 2 cents
    Doc

"I spent most of my money on
    Gambling, Whiskey and Women.
    The rest I just wasted."

Dr-Fix-It!

HUH? Who is asking to stop general commerce or refrain from marketing?

No one is asking anyone to stop general commerce or "refrain from marketing". In fact the title of this thread is mis-leading as the merchant did NOT in fact, ask that.

To quote again what the merchant said
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Out of respect for the victims and those who will be mourning during this time period, please suspend all intrusive marketing related to (merchant_name) from September 10th to September 12th.

Please note that intrusive marketing includes email, pop-ups and pop-unders. You do not need to remove banners or text links from your website.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't necessarily agree about the pop-ups and pop-unders, but then again I don't use them. If I were working for a company that lost as many people as this company did at WTC, I'd probably want to do something even if it didn't make sense. The email was actually signed by the Affiliate managment team and was perhaps their own request. In any event it's not an attempt at exploitation and it really isn't fair to rip them a new one because of their request.

This really is much ado about little. It was only a request - if you don't want to honor it, don't.

{

Oh, now , we ar on to something!!!!

Merchants think POP-UP's and POP-UNDER's are INTRUSIVE and ( Somehow ) disrespectful of the dead.

I agree. To Boot, they are also intrusive and disrespectful of the living.

Doc

The rest I just wasted."

Dr-Fix-It!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Merchants think POP-UP's and POP-UNDER's are INTRUSIVE and ( Somehow ) disrespectful of the dead.

I agree. To Boot, they are also intrusive and disrespectful of the living.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'll get no arguement there Doc. Well, not from me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] but it might be time to put on the asbestos suit.

{

Outsourced Program Manager
    I think what the merchant is doing is that they themselves have chosen not to do any marketing of thier own via email or pop-up or pop-under, and they wish to not be included in any of those marketing tools that day. I don't think it goes much more beyond that.

Jamie Birch
    Affiliate and Partner Programs Manager
    Coldwater Creek
    jbirch@thecreek.com
    208-265-3958

So the point remains that the MERCHANT thinks these kind of ads are disrspectful...

Right?

Doc

The rest I just wasted."

Dr-Fix-It!

[very bad typo...]

Had they really wanted to insist, wouldn't it have been just as easy to send an email saying no leads/clicks/whatever would be honored during that period?

If that's the way they want to observe, I wouldn't argue with them (or anybody else).

Do it or don't.

Respct their wishes or don't.

ABW Ambassador
    &gt;&gt;wouldn't it have been just as easy to send an email saying no leads/clicks/whatever would be honored during that period?&lt;&lt;

I'm pretty sure that THAT would be a violation of their contract.

I think whatever decisions are made about 9-11 are highly personal and I can't fault an individual or a business for whatever they deem appropriate.

"The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes." -- Holly, from Red Dwarf

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'm not an affiliate of MerchantWhoever.com but here's my 2c anyway:

Actually the Wall St. Journal was saying that most companies have pulled their TV ads for that day, so Doc was onto something in his post referring to trade/advertising in general. The companies do not want to be seen as "crass marketers". For most of them, I would think that it is strictly a matter of how they expect public perception to be.

About not doing email ads or popups/unders, I suppose it's not too much to ask...although if it was a major project to change the pops I myself would probably ignore that part. It does seem to be an emotional response on their part but these are extenuating circumstances...

As for anyplace actually closing, I would doubt it except perhaps for some of the companies that actually lost people in the WTC. Even some of them will probably stay open, especially the brokerages, since huge fortunes can be lost by inaction even for a few minutes let alone an entire day!

Cedric--Well I'd have a BIG problem with it if some place decided that stealing my commissions (no leads/clicks counted) on that day was "appropriate"!! That'd be the end of that affiliation...

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

ABW Ambassador
    &gt;&gt;Cedric--Well I'd have a BIG problem with it if some place decided that stealing my commissions (no leads/clicks counted) on that day was "appropriate"!!&lt;&lt;

Sorry my message was confusing. Part I was "I don't think anyone can say they're not going to pay leads on a particular day, it's a violation of the TOS."

Part II was not to suggest that "appropriate" included a violation of TOS, just that if merchants didn't want "intrusive" marketing or if they wanted to have a moment of silence or other such, I don't think it's inappropriate... or, at least I don't think there's much wiggle room for anyone determing what's appropriate/inappropriate for someone else on that day...

Except that violating your TOS would be inappropriate... IMO.

-------
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

ABW Ambassador
    I read the message simply as a request from a company that does not want to be part or in any way associated with the great American spamathon that will take place on 9/11. Theres probably a thousand plus marketers out there right now, planning their 9/11 spam filled with half baked crusty ideas of the apocalyps bundled neatly with a media message to buy inkjet cartridges or to stock up at overstock. I wouldn't want to be a part of it either. Maybe I won't bother turning on the computer that and simply bounce all emails. I am down to less than 1 in 500 messages being legitimate.

Missoula - Short Stories

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi

I think people are missing the point in a lot of places... what people should be saying No to is the marketing of products aimed at playing off the Patriotism of people, i.e. Jewelry such as Braveheart pins, Flag Tennis shoes, etc etc, items specically designed and marketed to profit from the terrible event even though they are marketed as "show your a patriot" and such calls to action.... this should be a definite NO... as for normal marketing... life must and does go on and no terrorist should be allowed to alter how we do business or spend our money.

Cheers

Chris

Frankly I don't care at all about 9/11/2001 but it sure is annoying the hell out of me. A year later and people are still saying "that's what the terrorists wanted" and "then the terrorists will have won." All I have to say is that they got part of what they wanted, they have won, and that everyone needs to stfu about it and act like it never happened.

"For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction."

If only our Prime Minister had gotten that email! He will pop up in our faces the whole day!

Mr. Bondevik has taken it upon himself to fly to the US on 9/11. In a spectacular press event (locally), he is going to show the Norwegian voters that he is brave enough to fly 'over there' on Sept. 11. There isn't exactly a fat chance there are any terrorists on board when the Prime Minister flies! What a bozo!

I get sick of what politicians do to get attention. Using this event as a lubricator for a political career is just too much.

--

In Norway, we have a couple of official ad-free days, during christmas and easter. On those days we can only have free ads from non-profit or charity organizations. I think it's a way of showing respect. And a great way for smaller organizations to get heard.

--

I fail to see how the pop ups/unders makes any difference. But it is the merchant's wish. If this were an important merchant for me, I would have complied. No problem. We need to be flexible in this business.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> As for anyplace actually closing, I would doubt it except perhaps for some of the companies that actually lost people in the WTC. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The company sending the email did lose people on Sept 11 - their offices were at the World Trade Center and it's quite a well known fact that they lost people. The names of their dead are still listed on the CNN site.

I agree with Yintercept. There is no doubt in my mind that there are dozens of do-anything-to-make-a-buck affiliate spammers that will try to find a way to exploit that fact into some excuse to send out a "special 911" spam or pop-up exhorting the recipient to show their patriotism and honor their dead by signing up for the merchant's credit card.

As for the company themselves being able to close on the 11, the laws may have changed since I worked in banking, but I think Fed banking laws prohibit them from doing so.

{

"Laziness, Impatience, Hubris. Pick any three" ~ YAPC 19100

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    9/11 will stand as a day of rememberance here in the US for all those innocents who were wiped out by a cowardly act of terrorism. Like Christians having a day of quiet reflection on Good Friday, our country needs to pause in a silent prayer that our leaders have the strenght of convistion to never allow this to happen again.

Commerce and going about our daily activities on 9/11 shows we cannot be brought to our knees, except for praying for those who lost their lives, by terrorist acts. Be vigilant on 9/11 since those with a terrorist adjenda will not take the day off. They write their history and demands in the blood of innocents and will rot in hell for their efforts. Hopefully those in the Mosques worldwide will also pause to reflect on the impact of 9/11 on their faith and teachings.

WebMaster Mike

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread