I just noticed I was having a hard time reading abw lately and decided to turn up the browser text size from medium to large.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
    - Thomas Jefferson

ABW Ambassador
    You're not getting old, Heyder, the font size is just getting younger.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Yeah I thought it was getting younger.

- Thomas Jefferson

It's the same size as it always has been, however, if enough "complain" I can bump it up.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

If a particular website's font size is too small and you have a wheel mouse, hold the control key and move the wheel down a click or two.

I got that from a Qball post but don't tell him, his head is way too big already.

Thanks Jaybat that's much easier to do.

Haiko I wouldn't change the size unless the true old timers complain. My eyes just don't get enough sleep.

- Thomas Jefferson

Heyder,
    If I recall from a previous thread, I am a number of years older than you and the font looks fine to me. In fact, I would hate having it larger myself.

You're just straining your eyes too much in front of the computer (and TV, if you spend much time watching that), that's all. You need to give 'em a rest - look away from the screen every fifteen minutes or so and focus on something at a distance, preferably out the window if you have one near by. Also try palming for a few minutes twice a day - shut your eyes gently, cup the palms of your hands over your eyes with your elbows on the table. Make sure your palms block out all light. Relax and become aware of your breathing. Picture the color black as you breathe. Do this for a few minutes - at least a couple, up to five minutes if you can sit there that long! It's really refreshing for your eyes, gives 'em a nice rest.

When I do these, and a few other exercises, my eyesight actually improves. I tend to be a bit nearsighted, but my sight sharpens when my eyes feel relaxed - strange but true!

J

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> look away from the screen every fifteen minutes or so and focus on something at a distance, preferably out the window <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that would have been a *great* excuse in my school days [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    As a 43-year old reading-glasses wearin' type, I can say, the font is fine from where I sit (although I don't set my screen resolution at the same size I used to, but that is not specific to this forum).

Now, the web sites who make all their type the size of the copyright statement at the bottom of this page? They're just cruel.

-------
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

I had trouble when wearing my graduated bi-focal glasses so I had a special pair of computer glasses made. I set up the screen in front of my office window so the light doesn't glare on the screen. Then measure the distance from my eyes to the screen and gave that info to the optomitrist. She made the bottom half of the lens to optimize viewing the screen and the top half for distance viewing out the window. I works great. The only problem is when I get in the car and realize I forgot to switch glasses. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

You know you are getting old when you wake up one day and realize that there are no more ugly 22-year-olds... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Hi
    I had this problem and bought a bigger monitor. Simple solution.

regards John

John Dundas
    http://gph.org.uk
    johndundas@gph.org

Here's a list of good resolutions for each monitor size:
    640x480 - 14"
    800x600 - 15"
    1024x768 - 17"
    1280x960 - 19" (most people use 1280x1024 but that distorts the aspect ratio)
    1600x1200 - 21"

These resolutions should make Windows' default fonts look the same size. If you've got XP then I'd suggest turning on cleartype and using this page http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/ to tune it to your likings.

Heyder, I've been using the large fonts on ALL websites for about a year now.

One thing I hate is sites that use CSS so I can't enlarge the font. If I can't read it, I move on.

One thing I love about this new board is even the type on the message input window is larger when I have the fonts raised -- how the heck did they do that? On my own board the fonts can be enlarged to read but the message input area is still the same ol' smaller font.

One major problem though, most sites look like crap with larger font and some using layers are unreadable [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around

I am very nearsighted.

Do you diopters? My eyes are -4.50 In practical language, my focal length is 6 inches off my nose.

In common language, I can't see well.

So, I got this link request from a well-meaning person who had a really great idea for repairing vertical blinds. That fits my site like a glove so I went to check it out...

OHMYGAWD!!!TEENAGE_MUTANT_SUPER_KICK_ASS_DESIGN plus a couple twists to boot. Black background with CCCCCC grey type....flame gif's...red graphics. The Secure $$$$ pages were black and flaming...

I wrote him back and ( Believe it or not, I WAS nice ) to say I would love to link to this site but I wouldn't until I could read it.

My point is; The TARGET AUDIENCE, In this case--people who are trying to save a few dollars fixing their blinds---dictates the websiteb design.

As my Kids say DUH! NO BRAINER...

SO, who are You trying to reach? Your audience or your ego?

Doc

"I spent most of my money on
    Gambling, Whiskey and Women.
    The rest I just wasted."

Dr-Fix-It!

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread