Newbies,

One of the most annoying of my several thousand mistakes is to link my e-mail "Comments and Suggestions" to my Outlook Express account.

A fact of life in the internet business is spam and virus e-mail.

Outlook is a sieve for spam and viruses.

Today, I received seven virus e-emails, twelve spams and one legitimate letter.

I see other sites that use forms for their mail. I am considering doing the same.

BUT My advice to someone who is writing a site from scratch would be to link the "suggestions or Comments" to a separate page. That way, you can change configurations if the need requires without re-writing your entire site.

(As I am about to do!)

If you need direct E-Mail link, consider directing it to a public mail like Yahoo Mail.

Take it or Leave it.

Doc

"I spent most of my money on
    Gambling, Whiskey and Women.
    The rest I just wasted."

Dr-Fix-It!

Whats up doc, I agree 100%. I never use email addresses on web pages. Too much of a pain and IMO not as professional as online forms.

One more point, some users dont have outlook set up to do their email. If they click on your email address, they will be unable to send email anyway. So the way I see it, online forms are more convenient for you the webmaster, and for your users as well. thank you for reading my 2 cents

Sal @ PHATBargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    Or, you can go the route of not including a way for people to contact you. I have one email address per site and it's on the sites' "privacy policy" page (and the only ones who read those are spiders and merchants).

I've not found it to be detrimental to sales, but I tend to treat my site like the yellow pages, not a boutique. YMMV.

I have one email account from 1998 that was on every page of my content site (and, btw, this is not an Outlook issue -- I don't use outlook). I can't get rid of it because I (so very foolishly) used it in way too many places that I've now lost track of, but which I know I would miss at some point. That box gets hundreds of emails every day and 95% (literally) are spam or virii.

I WISH Doc had been around to give me this advice in 1998.

-------
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

AffJus posted a great solution in another thread:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AffJus:
    I get about 300-500 spams a day. They all come from email harvesters crawling the pages I have built for myself and clients. One of their "tricks" is to harvest the email address and then "subscribe" me to 500 "opt in" (BS!) lists. I can't do much about the email address I already have out there, but I can stop new ones from being harvested using this site tool I found:

http://www.siteup.com/encoder.html

What they do is convert your email addres to high ascii code that displays properly, but the harvesters can't read it. It's about 96% effective. Some companies actually do read your page to get your email and so you'll still get a few, but the automated idiots are shut down. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried this on my site, where I post a lot of email addresses for people to write in and ask questions, etc., and I've seen a marked decrease in the amount of spam I'm receiving.

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Don't be too quick in thinking that using a form will stop the problem. One of the most common email form scripts out there is formmail, and there are security risks. See Here

Matt's archive has put out a newer version which supposedly addresses this issue, but if you are (or your server) is using formmail, check the version. Someone posted somewhere here that the new version can be compromised too, although I don't know if this is true or not. But you will still need to make sure you set up the script correclty

Man, I hate spam and the sleazes that make so much extra work for us honest folks.

I found that about 80% of the spam I was getting was coming from hotmail or yahoo mail so I set my mail server to reject those domains. I figure if someone wants to email me on my business website they can use a real account. I made sure to let visitors know that I don not accept email from those domains... It has worked well so far. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Core

"Somebody's got some 'splanin to do!" - Rex [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BLFH:
    Don't be too quick in thinking that using a form will stop the problem. One of the most common email form scripts out there is formmail, and there are security risks. http://packetstormsecurity.nl/adviso.../BWL-00-06.txt

Matt's archive has put out a newer version which supposedly addresses this issue, but if you are (or your server) is using formmail, check the version. Someone posted somewhere here that the new version can be compromised too, although I don't know if this is true or not. But you will still need to make sure you http://www.scriptarchive.com/readme/...tml#setting_up

Man, I hate spam and the sleazes that make so much extra work for us honest folks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't confuse two issues.

1. issue is harvesters pulling your email address off your page. That could be a link "click here to email me" or buried in a form. Eithe way, a harvester will get it. UNLESS you use the Siteup freebie encoder. It will stop a harvester.

2. The flaw in matt's form mail script. That's a completely different issue. That's someone using your server to send their spam. It has nothing to do with how much spam you get. It's just a pain in your bandwidth bill and of course you get nasty emails from pissed offpeople, cause they trace back the spam to your server. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] But ver. 1.9 if setup correctly will stop that.

http://SearchToSale.com - Turns your search box into money.

ABW Ambassador
    one way to *help* with the formmail problem is to rename the file and put it in a funky named directory under your cgi-bin. Every new site I build gets multiple calls for cgi-bin/formail.pl -- while you're still in danger if people are hand searching and find your script, it's a lot less danger than it getting picked up by BadSpiders.

But using a form *will* aid in spam problems to your inbox... you just have to make sure it doesn't create more problems than it fixes.

-------
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> AffJus posted a great solution in another thread:

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by AffJus:
    I get about 300-500 spams a day. They all come from email harvesters crawling the pages I have built for myself and clients. One of their "tricks" is to harvest the email address and then "subscribe" me to 500 "opt in" (BS!) lists. I can't do much about the email address I already have out there, but I can stop new ones from being harvested using this site tool I found:

http://www.siteup.com/encoder.html

What they do is convert your email addres to high ascii code that displays properly, but the harvesters can't read it. It's about 96% effective. Some companies actually do read your page to get your email and so you'll still get a few, but the automated idiots are shut down.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried this on my site, where I post a lot of email addresses for people to write in and ask questions, etc., and I've seen a marked decrease in the amount of spam I'm receiving. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for this information - I'm one of those who gets hundreds per day, Anything that decreases that, is most welcome! Thank you [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Bev

Well,

I did it.I finally rewrote my whole site (both pages) to direct mail to a page with a single link.

Whew!!!

Doc

"I spent most of my money on
    Gambling, Whiskey and Women.
    The rest I just wasted."

Dr-Fix-It!

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread