Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    What I Love About My Mobile Broadband Card
    I bought a Sprint broadband card in December and can't understand how I lived without it before. If you are an affiliate manager or active affiliate and always on the go like I am, this is a Must Have tool. I take my laptop everywhere (kids sporting events, car repair waiting rooms, even sitting in the car waiting to pick up kids from school) and I always have instant access. Speed seems just slightly slower to my wireless connection at home and I've really encountered no problems since I got it.

I highly recommend one.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

So it connects to/thru your cell phone line, or how does it work?

G.

Actually, it is a seperate cell phone line. The problem with using my pocket pc as a connection for my laptop was that I could not recieve calls at the same time I'm connected to the internet. This has proved to be a great solution for me.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Pretend you're talking to me and tell exactly what you have to do please.

Don' forget that I'm the one who twittered "onn". That was after I finally figured out how to send a text.

Would this work anywhere that a cell phone would?

Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    Actually, it is a seperate cell phone line. The problem with using my pocket pc as a connection for my laptop was that I could not recieve calls at the same time I'm connected to the internet.
    Interesting. I know they can split landline connections to get you a regular phone line + an ADSL-type connection to the Internet, but wasn't sure if you can do that with a cell connection. Apparently, this is not it... Still sounds very cool, Ron. I envy you, man...

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore61103
    I can't see why not.

Geno

Okay, now I'm on the pocket pc at my daughters swim meet. Love this technology, but hate this tiny keyboard. Yes, same as a cell phone and my reception has been great except at my hotel room at summit.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

http and a telephoto
    The rooms at Bally's had sucky reception... I had to go in the halls to talk, lol, not a great idea.... Same at Circus Circus last week...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore61103
    Pretend you're talking to me and tell exactly what you have to do please.

Don' forget that I'm the one who twittered "onn". That was after I finally figured out how to send a text.

This is a card that slides into the side of your laptop and works just like a wireless card on your home wireless network, but instead you are connected to your cell phone provider. It is indeed a seperate phone account/line/number.

My Sprint one works great, but it could be we have better than average connection in my town. Has anyone else used these cards with Sprint or other providers and had any problems? Might be good info for others to hear who are considering these.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I have a Verizon broadband card. I got it because I was moving across the country and needed internet access where ever I happened to be. It has been a great tool for me at home when my internet goes down for whatever reason and on the go as a high speed tool that works anywhere you can get a cell signal.

Since I've been in California I've been traveling around the state a lot and I use Google Maps as my navigation system in the car since I have Internet on the go. Very nice tool to have.

And at $60/mth....not a bad deal considering its a relatively new service.

Outsourced Program Manager DaveAMWSO's Avatar
    I'm out here in Thailand, and the mobile service out here is pretty advanced. I have my little Sony Ericsson phone which is EDGE capable. Edge is a service for higher speed (115 kbps) over GSM networks. In the States GSM is what Cingular and T-Mobile use. Verizon using a competing standard, CDMA. I digress....

Anyway, most of the rest of the world uses GSM, so the higher speed service is called Edge. So I have a little USB cable that connects my phone to my laptop, and I can jump online anytime through my phone. Even through I'm connected through my mobile to the internet, I can still make and receive calls. And with the USB cable, my laptop actually charges my phone! So I'm online, talking on the phone, and my phone is getting charged all at the same time.

I tell ya, nothing beats kicking back on a little bungalow on the beach and taking care of a little work....or sipping on some coffee outside in a cafe in the nice tropical warm weather and reading everyone posting about all the freezing snow they're getting

Oh yeah...and the cost...well it ranges from about 50 hours for $5 or unlimted through the month for about $27.
    [B]Dave Oliver[/B] - AMWSO Affiliate Program Management Team
    [URL=http://www.amwso.com]www.amwso.com[/URL] | dave [at] amwso.com | AIM: DaveOliPM | Twitter: [URL=https://twitter.com/daveolipm]@daveolipm[/URL] |
    Programs: [URL=http://www.amwso.com/artoftea.php] Art of Tea[/URL] | [URL=http://www.amwso.net/affiliatet/eachbuyer-affiliate-program/]Eachbuyer[/URL] | [URL=https://www.facebook.com/amwso]AMWSO FB[/URL]

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveAMWSO
    I'm out here in Thailand, and the mobile service out here is pretty advanced.
    yeah, Japan - Asia and UK is far more advance than US. Hands down. People were using GSM in SE Asia and it took another 2-3 years before US started to look into getting it into the market

I had looked at the option of using my pocket PC as a modem connection for my laptop, but was told by Sprint that I could not do that and use the cell phone capabilities so I opted for two seperate systems and have been most pleased.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    bapple for $60 do you have unlimited access to the internet? Are there any hidden charges? Was there a separate charge for the card?

I'm looking into this now.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Lily
    bapple for $60 do you have unlimited access to the internet? Are there any hidden charges? Was there a separate charge for the card?

I'm looking into this now.
    Just like with cell phones, you can usually find a free card from some provider when you sign a service contract. Of course, they also sell higher end cards for a premium that you can buy at the time you sign up. Verizon limits use to 5 gb downloaded / month, while Sprint advertises as unlimited access. I haven't done a lot of research on either, but there's a bit of a heads up.
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

I paid $200 for a card from Dell because at the time Verizon didn't offer an express card and I needed one right away. All they offered were PC cards. They are basically the same thing, but the express card is just a newer technology. Some newer Dell laptops have the verizon card built into the laptop so you don't even need to buy a card at all and you never have to worry about remembering to bring it with you. The PC cards are about $60, but they may give you a discount when you sign up.

As for extra charges, I have not experienced anything like that. $60/mth for access anywhere unless you happen to be in like Northern Montana and then it will use other towers and you may incur a charge, but for the most part its free and fairly quick. Obviously, the closer you are to a major city, the faster it works. Verizon advertises unlimited internet access, but I'm sure there are certain stipulations that limit upload and download amounts per day.

all dell laptops starting with the ones released next month sometime will have built in multi-provider cards.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    all dell laptops starting with the ones released next month sometime will have built in multi-provider cards.
    I'm curious to hear if the signal acquisition is as good with the internal cards as my external that has a mini antenna.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I doubt there is much difference. That small piece of plastic does nothing anyway. I get the same signal with it up or down.

I agree for the most part but I've had some instances while traveling on the edge of a signal area where I thought it made a difference with the antenna up.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Sounds very cool! I'm hoping the Apple iPhone will put me into the world of true wireless Internet connectivity.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Ron, got a new mobile broadband card (sprint merlin ex720) for my laptop the other day - with Sprint coverage. I agree with you - can't see how I lived without this technology earlier. This beats local wi-fi hands down. Their coverage isn't half bad either, as I'm in the boonies right now, but have close to broadband speed for upload and download. Crazy.

I'm about to hit the road and do some travelling in the states for a little while, and take my work with me. International broadband access is next on the list when I leave here..

Did I miss anybody telling what the cost of the Sprint card is? Flat rate or by the minute?

40 dollars for 40MB
    60 dollars for Unlimited

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    I have the Verizon card for a year, $59 mo no extra costs, works great used it from Key West to upstate NY, it's nice when driving watching the weather especially the tornandos
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

I've been thinking about doing that, and dropping my landline phone and going totally cellular. My concern is that my DSL internet access that I have now can be shared by my laptop and my desktop. I don't think that would work with the mobile broadband, would it?

I hate to pay twice for internet access.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast