More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Is php THAT hard?
    I am trying to learn this language. Man, it is trying! Is it as difficult as it is seeming right now? It makes HTML look like child's play.

I am happy to have created a database and imported a column of the data onto a web page. Also, did a little with a function and creating my own formula. So I am making progress.

I will keep plugging away. For me, I have to really immerse myself in something before it all clicks.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. This is not meant to be a post asking a specific programming question but rather making a general comment. Move to the database area if you feel the need.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I feel your pain! The way I deal with it is to edit code and CSS from open source content managment systems- choosing parts that are designed to perform a similar function to what I need- and learn to understand what it does. I learn faster that way, build sites faster, and don't have to code from scratch. You'll find that some of the most successful coders (like they guys who started Kazaa and torrent based video distribution) did exactly the same thing when creating these highly successful web technologies.

If you think php is bad, how do feel about AJAX and building web appications generally? LOL, I thought php was amazing; now it seems it is old hat

I learned what little bit I know by rearranging the sidebar in a Wordpress theme and then going to their site and reading all about the Loop in their codex. And then the son who programs for a living gave me a 2 volume set PHP anthology and said it was the only thing I needed to have as a reference.

It still looks mostly foreign to me unless I do what Kruder says - take something that does the task and understand what calls it made to get it done.

Well you probably need to think of it a little differently that HTML, because HTML is not a language. HTML is a standard used to define how things are laid out. You will use PHP to generate HTML. Same with any other language - it will dynamically generate HTML so you do not have to write it all yourself.

If you ever get stuck or have any specific questions I am sure I (as well as many other people can help). WHen you post a PHP question PM the thread and I will get right on it .
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601

If you ever get stuck or have any specific questions I am sure I (as well as many other people can help). WHen you post a PHP question PM the thread and I will get right on it .
    I will need to learn a bit more before I can even get to the point where I can ask some questions but I am sure I will be asking some questions down the line. Thanks for the offer!
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    I am trying to learn this language. Man, it is trying! Is it as difficult as it is seeming right now? It makes HTML look like child's play.

I am happy to have created a database and imported a column of the data onto a web page. Also, did a little with a function and creating my own formula. So I am making progress.

I will keep plugging away. For me, I have to really immerse myself in something before it all clicks.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. This is not meant to be a post asking a specific programming question but rather making a general comment. Move to the database area if you feel the need.
    I'm in the exact same situation as you are...I'm finding it very frustrating to learn. I bought the book "PHP & MySql for Dummies (which I feel like at the moment). It hasn't clicked yet but I haven't given up...I'll just keep reading/studying until it all starts to make sense. At least you were able to import a column...I haven't gotten that far yet. Good Luck!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Depend on no one but yourself...[/FONT] :winking:

Learning PHP can be a challenge. For me, it was easier to learn just what I wanted to do, instead of learning PHP in general.

For example, I wanted to show a recordset first so I found some tutorials and practiced with them. I use Dreamweaver and there's a nice tool you can get for free call Phakt (www.interaktonline.com) which is an extension to Dreamweaver and makes accessing a database and displaying results so much easier.

Maybe try to learn how to do one thing at a time as opposed to trying to learn it all. Have fun.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

PHP is one of the easier programming languages, so you've made the right decision there. A lot of it is logic and problem solving. Fortunately there are abundant PHP resources all over the net. When I have a complicated PHP question I just join the #php channel on IRC's Undernet or Efnet. There's always somebody there to answer my question at all hours of the day. Also if you have any questions feel free to drop by the ABW chat and I'll help you out.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

PHP was a breeze to learn... Trust me, I only how to program with html just a little. I used dreamweaver to help me create my webpages. But once I started learning php, it was nothing. PHP is not a hard language to learn. it is straight forward and to the point.

To learn any program language can be hard for some people. Remember will learning a new porogram it will take patients and hardwork..

"PHP and MySQL Web Development" by Welling & Thomson. I have the second edition, but there is a newer one out. I'm no geneass and it worked for me. Learn what you need and keep it for reference.

Larry Ulman's MySQL Second edition Visiual Quickstart is great for learning more on MySQL.

---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

ABW Ambassador
    I agree with the members who mentioned a long the lines of "learning as you need to".

I always find it much easier to learn something when you have to.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Quote Originally Posted by glinted
    I agree with the members who mentioned a long the lines of "learning as you need to".

I always find it much easier to learn something when you have to.
    I agree, you do not have to learn everything, just the basics. The rest will come to you. It is like riding a bike. Once you learn to paddle. Balancing yourself comes natural.

if you need help some try reading this.

Learning a new programming language like PHP depends on your knowledge of the Internet and your interest in PHP. The best learning techniques to learn PHP are hands on, reading books, researching others script and asking questions.

Start by reading through online tutorials, documentation and other PHP programmers examples. Tutorials will give you an idea of how PHP works and help you increase your knowledge by providing you with definitions and examples of PHP programming. Browsing through other programmer's examples allow you to see different techniques and the power of PHP.

Join a programming forum like; http://www.webdeveloper.com, http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/, or http://www.phpforum.com. Forums provide unlimited resources to beginners learning PHP. Giving them access to tutorials, examples, and most importunately, experience programmers who can answer questions when needed.

Hands on is another way to learn PHP, allowing you to manipulate and understand how PHP works. Creating your own scripts is a great way to increase your knowledge when learning to program. This method of learning enables you to research and use trial and error to increase knowledge of PHP.

Once you have learned the basic of PHP, increase your knowledge and confidence by creating small scripts for your own preference. Small scripts like; login scripts, passwords protect, and using cookies are commonly known programming scripts that will help you become a more successful programmer.

In this article I have provided you with the basic of learning PHP. Learning PHP is easy if you are interested and patients. Remember it takes time, you cannot learn PHP overnight.

Karlmon Earle is an online marketer for uwantads?com and LogoAuction.net

Affiliate Manager
    Ive tried to learn some PHP, MySQL but find it very frustrating. I'll leave the programming to the programmers.

Thanks for all the comments and resources! PHP is coming along OK. I am studying and trying this whenever I get the chance. I was able to set up a mock site loading products, descriptions, and URLs from a mysql database table. Was not able to update the table by importing a database spreadsheet successfully, but I will wait on that task til I get my database on the server that I will use for my actual site.

PHP actually is kind of nice because of its flexibility. I have done a little javascript, pascal, and fortran and it seems PHP is probably easier to use. Getting the table data from the mysql - that's the challenge for me.

I will just keep plugging away. It's like putting together a 1000 piece puzzle - very intimidating at the beginning, but as all the pieces get put in place it becomes easier and easier.

Here is a big developer productivity that will help you in the future.

If you want to reuse your code for other future sites learn how to put everything in a settings file or settings section. For your database work than means things like your server name, db password, db username, etc. should not be hard coded in your connection strings.
    ---
    ---

I learnt with the Welling & Thomson book - 1st edition, and can recommend it too. It says it's for intermediate to advancedl level, but a beginner shouldn't find it difficult.

If you can't do it in PHP, I don't know if it can be done! That said, I'm not sure how you can be proficient in PHP without being proficient in HTML. After all, PHP generates the HTML that is sent to the browser. How can you write quality code on the server end without knowing what to send back to the browser?

I also agree that the best way to learn the language is to figure out what you want to do, and then learn how to do it. I got into the language when I wanted to maintain a database of information that compares web hosting plans. I overheard "MySQL" which is best interacted with from PHP. So I picked up PHP to interact with MySQL, neither of which I had known.

And now, people actually PAY me to write code for them...Suckers...
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread