15 years and counting
    Lawsuit against three affiliate advertisers (Feb 2007)
    The suit brings charges against three companies and their officers for sending anonymous “Net Send” messages to consumers:
    Washington State Attorney General, February 07, 2007
    Secure Links Networks LLC, NJC Softwares LCC & FixWinReg
    http://www.atg.wa.gov/pressrelease.aspx?&id=12328

“Affiliate marketing is proliferating on the Internet because it’s a cheap form of advertising for product sellers,” said Assistant Attorney General Katherine Tassi.

“Internet advertisers and product sellers can no longer treat the Web as the Wild West where anything goes,” McKenna said.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    bundled, unremovable toolbar
    crazy illegal install tactics
    say no to install and you get it anyhow
    fake cleaning tool that actually installs shitware
    bad guys were competing, but working together to maximize installs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The lawsuit filed today in King County Superior Court is Washington’s fifth case under the state’s Computer Spyware Act passed in 2005. The suit brings charges against three companies and their officers:

Secure Links Networks LLC and CEO Manuel Corona, Jr., of Brea;
    NJC Softwares LCC and company officer Rudy O. Corella, of Lake Elsinore; and
    FixWinReg and president HoanVinh V. Nguyenphuoc, of Redondo Beach.

Washington’s suit lays out seven causes of action that include sending Net Send messages that:

Feign the discovery of critical errors on a computer;
    Prevent a computer user from declining the installation of software;
    Modify computer settings;
    Intentionally misrepresent the necessity of new software for security purposes; and
    Mislead consumers into believing that registry-cleaner software has performed indicated repairs.

The state is seeking injunctive provisions. If found liable, each defendant could be fined up to $100,000 per violation of the Computer Spyware Act and $2,000 per violation under the Consumer Protection Act. They may also be required to pay compensation to affected consumers.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

another quote says:
    "Neither are product sellers; they can be held liable for the illegal advertising of their affiliates."

Sounds like reason enough for merchants to sign up for Kellie's AFP service and to also give merchants solid ground for vocally and publically objecting to their "trusted network" trying to get them involved with crappy affiliates.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Zeus, good article you found!

15 years and counting
    They are not fast to move. The "Net Send Message" is nothing new but I'm glad to see them going after people taking advantage of naive Internet users and giving a bad image of ecommerce and affiliate marketing. And other warning for adware pushers.

Those who maliciously install adware are nothing but .

'Washington State Attorney General Rob McKenna said, “Affiliate marketers are able to remain anonymous in many cases, but they’re not out of reach of the Attorney General’s Office. Neither are product sellers; they can be held liable for the illegal advertising of their affiliates.”'

This should serve as lesson for Affiliates who uses unconventional and illegal ways of marketing their products/programs. The message here is clear: Affiliates- you are not above the law!

Angry
    Quote Originally Posted by cbsturg
    Those who maliciously install adware are nothing but .
    I HATE ADWARE!

Even bigger players are installing adwares nowadays. I use Yahoo Messenger and one day it pops up saying that there are some security fixes and asked to click to install an upgrade. Guess what? It installs the Yahoo bar, set my homepage, and did other things that i forgot about. I think it might even have removed my google bar.

what surprises me is the number of people who fall for those "error message" banners. ive seen people clicking on them in internet cafes and people who use my computer.

i think they should be banned as well. the bottom line is they are deceptive...no matter how effective it is.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread