Don't get arrested flying kites
    It's a good thing that here in the US, you can fly a kite anyday of the year. Not so true in Pakistan.

More than 500 people are reported to have been arrested in the Pakistani city of Lahore for flying kites. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4800004.stm

Thank God for our good life.

No Kite and Wind affiliates have ever arrested for promoting kites!
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

Sounded ridiculous at first but upon further reading, the whole ban is to prevent injuries from some not so upright kite fliers...I can see the logic in it now.

I think I heard about this on NPR a while back - some kind of competition the kids have with kites. Of course, in good government fashion, they ban it all, instead of going after the offenders.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I can't remember the name of the book anymore but it was a very good story and well written about a man who grew up in Afghanistan before and during the Russian invasion. Kite fighting is/was a huge sport there. The kites have cutting edges on the strings, the goal being to disable your opponents kite by shredding it or cutting it free of its string. Injuries are apparently common to kite flyers as well as kites.

I think I know what you're talking about. It's called "Kite Runner". It's one that I've been wanting to read for a while now, but haven't got around to it.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Yup, that's it, "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini. I recommend it.

100s die/injure every year due to kite flying here. Most of the Victims are bike riders. In the competition, when ones string (known as "Dor") gets cut, he loose. Then some times the string (which is very sharp and is capable of cutting through human flesh easily) hangs on the road and if a biker is going from there, he can be in serious trouble i.e. the sharp sting mostly cuts the throats, and if biker is coming fast, his head can also be separated from his body & it happened many times.

Quote Originally Posted by nabeelk
    100s die/injure every year due to kite flying here. Most of the Victims are bike riders. In the competition, when ones string (known as "Dor") gets cut, he loose. Then some times the string (which is very sharp and is capable of cutting through human flesh easily) hangs on the road and if a biker is going from there, he can be in serious trouble i.e. the sharp sting mostly cuts the throats, and if biker is coming fast, his head can also be separated from his body & it happened many times.
    I knew it could be somewhat of a problem, but that sounds horrific!

Uh-Oh! I may be having second thoughts about being a KiteAndWind affiliate. Seems there is danger lurking in just about everything we do...

PS...bring on the Spring.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote: Injuries are apparently common to kite flyers as well as kites.

This is so true. I once tripped on my beer while running to get my kite airborne. Luckily, I was not injured, but I could have easily cut my toe on the pop top.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    Quote: Injuries are apparently common to kite flyers as well as kites.

This is so true. I once tripped on my beer while running to get my kite airborne. Luckily, I was not injured, but I could have easily cut my toe on the pop top.
    Ah, didn't that also happen to that singer, Jimmy Buffet? "...cut his heel, had to cruise on back home...to Margaritaville."

Sounds like a good excuse to me. Beer, tequila, lime - got most of the major food groups right in there. Safer and healthier to WATCH someone else fly those kites.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    This is not an issue in US.

Seeing that if you ride a motobike / moto cycle and if you are doing 50mph and some kid runs his kite line across the road before flying the kite... imagine the deep cut that the bike ride will experience

And thousands of people die every day worldwide while driving their cars, or while sleeping. BAN driving and sleeping!

The problem arises as the lines are coated with glued on broken glass to help one kite cut through the string of another kite, it's altogether different to what we think of as kite flying!

Quote Originally Posted by nabeelk

Given this statistics, it gives some sense to what this legislation was all about. This illustrates how a simple past time can be harmful thanks to human imagination and adventurism.

US have lots of open spaces. Not a good idea when there are a lot of people around. I used to fly a lot of kites when I was younger and some of the kite strings uses glass bits to strengthen them and they can cut up a person good.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward
    The problem arises as the lines are coated with glued on broken glass to help one kite cut through the string of another kite, it's altogether different to what we think of as kite flying!
    Yup.. that is true and I can attest to that. Imagine cutting yourself with that... Ouch!

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread