Non-PHP script to import datafeed to database
    I'm having some coding trouble, and thought I'd search for any publicly-shared scripts to import and store text datafeeds into a database.

Alas, everything seems to be written in PHP, and I'm a Windows guy who would prefer not to learn an entirely new programming language.

I'm not looking for anything fancy: just something that can read in an SAS datafeed text file, and store it into a "Raw Datafeed" SQL table (I'm using SQL Server right now, but I might switch to MySQL).

There are certainly a LOT of entrepreneurs out there selling datafeed scripts, but thus far I have not found any that don't use PHP.

Affiliate Manager
    Navicat is pretty good... I used to use it when I just started out with datafeeds. You can get a 30-day free trial to try it out for a while.

http://www.navicat.com

Thanks, Chet - I have used Navicat before, but I don't think it will do what I need.

Mark,

That is the tradeoff to not using PHP. It's just so prevalent and well supported that you'll have a harder time finding niche open source software in another language. Might consider hiring a developer and have something custom built in your language of choice.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Much of the difficulty I'm having comes from the fact that there is a wide variety of information posted on the Internet which is either incorrect or out-of-date or doesn't explain what variant of language is being used.

I had not expected that Microsoft's VB, VBA, VBscript, ASP.NET, VB.NET, etc. would be so inconsistent, nor that the documentation would be so complex and yet incomplete. To "read text from a file," there are a dozen or more different commands, but I can't get any of them to work.

I learned to program in BASIC and Pascal in the early 1980's, and I've been using HTML and ASP/VBscript, but today I'm confirming that my skills are completely out of date, and I will need to hire someone to help me.

ABW Ambassador
    Mark, there are some open source shopping cart programs out there that use asp. If os_commerce can be adapted to use for affiliate sites, why couldn't an asp cart also be modified?

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22op...rt&btnG=Search

Possibly a developer can do an adaptation, since they did the original code.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread