I think I need help from the real fishermen here...
    Man, do I stink. 2 hours on Lake Mead yesterday. My chum slick had fish STACKED UP underneath the ol' fish finder...I mean DOZENS of them, between 15'-24' in about 55' of water.

Did I boat any fish? Nope. Did I get a strike? Nope. Did I still enjoy the 75 degree weather, sunny afternoon and a cooler full of beer? Sure did!

I was targeting (hybrid) striper using frozen anchovy, shrimp, squid, earthworms and shiners, on a leader w/ light weight (just drifting through the slick). I didn't break out the artificials for two reasons: 1. Harder to drink beer that way. 2. See #1. I also broke out the wax worms and power pellets in case there were crappie or other pan fish down there.

Has anyone fished for the (freshwater hybrid) striper? Can you PLEASE advise? This is 4 trips in a row with 0 fish! In fact, I've NEVER caught one on Lake Mead!!!!!

Thanks!
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lilly
    using frozen anchovy, shrimp, squid, earthworms and shiners, on a leader w/ light weight
    Hell, you don't need any weight if you put all of that bait on your line at one time..

I haven't targeted Wipers really. We tried a bit on Lake Nockamixon in PA, but not for very long...

You were sure you were drifting the bait at the right depth?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    I haven't targeted Wipers really. We tried a bit on Lake Nockamixon in PA, but not for very long...

You were sure you were drifting the bait at the right depth?
    Yes. I thought that was the problem at first, so I hand stripped it down to the right depth. That didn't work, so I let the bait hit bottom then S-L-O-W-L-Y jigged it up. Nuttin.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lilly
    That didn't work, so I let the bait hit bottom then S-L-O-W-L-Y jigged it up. Nuttin.
    Still better than workin. I'd rather be out catching nuttin right now.

Were you using large pieces? Sounds like a hearty mix you're using that can both fill up the fish too quickly (so they aren't hungry and stop biting) and sink to the bottom which could mess with your depth if the fish drift below the slick and hit the goods as they sink. Also, with the crowd it sounds like you gathered, it's possible you lured in other bait fish and THAT'S what your stripers were feeding on.

Next time you might try throwing your mix in a blender (don't let the missus see you) to get more sent than substance in the water.

Is that helpful?

Quote Originally Posted by BG4512
    Were you using large pieces? Sounds like a hearty mix you're using that can both fill up the fish too quickly (so they aren't hungry and stop biting) and sink to the bottom which could mess with your depth if the fish drift below the slick and hit the goods as they sink. Also, with the crowd it sounds like you gathered, it's possible you lured in other bait fish and THAT'S what your stripers were feeding on.

Next time you might try throwing your mix in a blender (don't let the missus see you) to get more sent than substance in the water.

Is that helpful?
    OH...sorry I was unclear. The mix I listed was the bait on the hook. My homemade chum recipe was:

1 handful anchovies (frozen)
    1/2 catfish fillet (on sale @ Smith's)
    1 can SPAM
    1/2 container chicken livers.
    1 handful squid.

Blend until smooth and then add 1 can whole corn. Freeze overnight.

Then I used a nifty little chum bag and just kinda let it drift out there.

P.S. Peforming the above made me sick to my stomach.
    P.P.S. Still better than work!
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

http and a telephoto
    I almost went to Lake Mead yesterday, I could have laughed at you from the shore Or envied you, depending on if I could tell it was you out there!!!!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

1 handful anchovies (frozen)
    1/2 catfish fillet (on sale @ Smith's)
    1 can SPAM
    1/2 container chicken livers.
    1 handful squid.
    Man I'm thinking that your chum would make a good meal for me.

Seriously Now: I think I remember that guide boats in Tennessee lakes would go after stripe hybrids. They would use a shad trawl and scoop up live shad and keep them aireated(sp). They fished at night in the summer when I saw them and had excellent electronics.

Searched "tennessee striper guides" and found lots. We were at Tims Ford Lake.
    http://www.fishing-boating.com/livebait/
    http://www.fishingtn.com/

Ah yes. I see... Nice Chum mix (reminds me of Bass-o-matic!!)

In that case I would think it might have been the crowd that drew in some live bait fish that were slightly more enticing than what was on your hook.

Did you say you were out in the afternoon? Dusk and Dawn is usually feeding time. You may have left a few late-comers a gift though

Either way (say it with me now...) BEATS WORKIN'!

Quote Originally Posted by BG4512
    Ah yes. I see... Nice Chum mix (reminds me of Bass-o-matic!!)

In that case I would think it might have been the crowd that drew in some live bait fish that were slightly more enticing than what was on your hook.

Did you say you were out in the afternoon? Dusk and Dawn is usually feeding time. You may have left a few late-comers a gift though

Either way (say it with me now...) BEATS WORKIN'!
    Thats a probable explanation, as there were a lot of small fish and some hawgs in each of the slicks. Guess I gotta find me a spot to net some live bait.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Joe- Joe - Joe, what are we going to do with you? The problem had nothing to do with depth, jigging, getting jiggy, drinking cold beer or any other happenstance. The problem was in your "chum".

SPAM!!! The Can Spam act of 2004 was clear on the use of . You should have taken note!!

On a serious note though, if you are not using "live" bait, such as small shiners, shad etc., discipline yourself to using hardware that emulates a moving baitfish and if needed, use downriggers to get you to depth. You can put the beer down for 15 minutes at a time while you work to the fish, and then sip between releases.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Bites like Crazy at the River
    It was like heaven.

I got my limit yesterday with no trouble in Bullhead City.

Caught it with my hands and no bait.

Now top that Joe!

Went and caught a real nice Safeway Salmon.

Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    Joe- Joe - Joe, what are we going to do with you? The problem had nothing to do with depth, jigging, getting jiggy, drinking cold beer or any other happenstance. The problem was in your "chum".

SPAM!!! The Can Spam act of 2004 was clear on the use of . You should have taken note!!

On a serious note though, if you are not using "live" bait, such as small shiners, shad etc., discipline yourself to using hardware that emulates a moving baitfish and if needed, use downriggers to get you to depth. You can put the beer down for 15 minutes at a time while you work to the fish, and then sip between releases.
    Oh fish yoda, how will I do that and maintain the integrity of my nifty chum slick? If I break out the downrigger I have to troll, right?
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Joey - I know this is not easy to hear, but sometimes you have to choose your result and do what it takes to reach it. Sorry
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    Joey - I know this is not easy to hear, but sometimes you have to choose your result and do what it takes to reach it. Sorry
    Or I could tie a chum bag off to the bottom of the downrigger ball.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread