Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    What were you doing when you were 12?

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    When I was 12 it was safe to be an unsupervised kid. We lived in the woods and I'd head out the door on weekends with a hard boiled egg and a slice of cheese in my pockets. I'd hook up with friends and we'd ride bikes and fish and build forts and pick blueberries and grapes and generally mess around in the woods all day. We'd get drinks from streams or somebody's outdoor faucet. We wouldn't head home until dinnertime and most nights we'd head out again after dinner and wouldn't come home until dark. It was great and I wouldn't trade it for what the average American 12 year old does today.

ABW Ambassador
    A fellow 12 yr. old, cool. Watch out for the kids. Nowadays we're raised in homes and in school with computers and the internet. We're growing up tech savvy. We're about to wipe out you adults. Beware the kids.

I can't remember what the hell I did at 12. I think I was chasing girls, or playing some sport.

A fellow 12 yr. old, cool. Watch out for the kids. Nowadays we're raised in homes and in school with computers and the internet. We're growing up tech savvy. We're about to wipe out you adults. Beware the kids.
    I think you're missing about 18 years

http and a telephoto
    That is a well spoken 12 year old. Reminds me of my son that wrote a novel when he was 10 (pre computer days, I need to ocr it). There are some intelligent people of all ages... and so not so bright... The internet makes them all on level playing ground... age is irrelevant.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

This part made me giggle:

``If youre somebody with a very mature blog, that is several months or more old...''

I remember having a similar sense of time around that age...like a year was almost forever! LOL!

I'm not sure which jail I was in at the time........

Arrow
    climbing the rocks on the nearby hills (I still live in sight of them) and wishing I had a real BB gun.

Hmmm....

12 years old - that would be about 6th grade. I was hanging out at the mall with friends, singing in my church's childrens choir, and taking horseback riding lessons.

I too remember the nights of running around the neighborhood unsupervised until dark.

I was doing reasonably well in school, but I certainly wasn't writing at the level that he is. Hell, I don't know if do that now.

Sheri
    Last edited by Sheri; February 13th, 2007 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Geez - at least the kid probably remembers to spellcheck.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    When I was 12 it was safe to be an unsupervised kid. We lived in the woods and I'd head out the door on weekends with a hard boiled egg and a slice of cheese in my pockets. I'd hook up with friends and we'd ride bikes and fish and build forts and pick blueberries and grapes and generally mess around in the woods all day. We'd get drinks from streams or somebody's outdoor faucet. We wouldn't head home until dinnertime and most nights we'd head out again after dinner and wouldn't come home until dark. It was great and I wouldn't trade it for what the average American 12 year old does today.
    Wow, kind of mirrors what I did when I was 12. Maybe we hung out with the same crowd and never met!! It WAS safe to be unsupervised, how nice was that? We'd be fishing as much as possible in the little lake near our home, or swimming in the lake, out in the woods hunting squirrel or rabbit, catching wild game and raising them in our "jungleland" basement, camping every time we could, playing football and basketball in the yard in summer and hockey on local ponds and rinks in the winter. Man, some really great times.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Same here, we didn't have grapes and blueberries though - blackberries yes and usually a packed lunch. And it got dark at 10:30pm.

We lived at the edge of the city near some woods and then endless farmland to play in.

We had a trout stream within walking distance, and a major river 3 miles away that we cycled to. It was very nice during the summer.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Wow - great stuff here gang. You can also see a rather large span in the age groupings.

For some of us, being a 12 year old seems like ancient history. For others, it was six years ago!! It's all good.

Now if only I can remember what I was doing yesterday?
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    riding bmx bikes, dirt bikes, fishing, camping - i was a good country kid (cough)

For some of us, being a 12 year old seems like ancient history. For others, it was six years ago!! It's all good.
    Well.... actually, it was just eight years ago for me!

But, I still remember the good old times.

I got my first computer when i was 12 (1987), It was a tandy 1000 from radio shack. I started writing my own software using "Microsoft Basic", SPecfically a Lottery program to pick my lotto numbers, a baseball card inventory program and a non graphic game like zork. (anyone remember that game?)

In the 1990 I had a friend, that was experiecing with BB's (Bulletin Board Systems) aka Internet. He gave me one piece of advice, If you never learn anything else learn C++. DAMN I wish I would have listened! I never did learn it and now I am trying to learn c sharp. (todays version)

Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    I'm not sure which jail I was in at the time........
    Mack Your still in jail! Remember?

LOl

Quote Originally Posted by netnow22
    Mack Your still in jail! Remember?
    I'm really glad to hear that. I thought I died and went to hell, and this was it.

I was twelve a long while ago. Back when...... you could be gone from sunrise to sunset and nobody had to worry about you...when the neighbors parents would give you a swift backhand if you got out of line, then your parents called to thank them for doing it ....when I didn't have a care in the world and every day was just another adventure.

When I was 12, I was busy chasing girls and vice versa. I was also busy checking out shopping malls and movie houses. My father manages a first class restaurant that time so I was also busy treating friends at the resto (I can imagine the headache my bills were giving to my father whenever he receives the paycheck with all the charges I incurred for him.)

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I also was much like Rhea.

We lived on a state highway, but out in the middle of nowhere. Closest kids were about a mile away. We would get up in the morning, grab our fishing poles and bikes and meet up, then we would take off to the nearest lake (3 or 4 miles away). There was a trout stream that ran along side the dirt road that took you back to the lake. We would fish our way there and back. We built forts out of old boards and rusty nails we scrounged up way HIGH up in the trees - unsafe? Maybe. But super fun!

We would have rotten apple fights - those darn things STUNG when you got walloped with one. We climbed trees, we went sledding down huge hills out the in middle of the woods, miles from home.

We rode our bikes up and down that state highway and never had to worry about weirdos trying to nab us. We would be gone all day long, til dark, and our parents didn't worry. Then after dark we would kid in the ferns with a jar and catch fireflys galore!

Our parents would take us out to the country fair in the morning and drop us off and we would stay there til they picked us up at 10:00 at night.

And just imagine, we didn't have cell phones or pagers or any way for our parents to call and check on us.

Today, we live not far from where I did growing up. But boy things have changed. It is still miles away before you find another kid, but I will damned if I am letting my kids travel down this road by themselves, whether it be walking or on a bike. And if they took off and were gone all day I would be a wreck with worry. Heck, when they are just outside I check on them every 10 minutes or so. This road has more traffic all the time and the occasional weirdo strolls by too.

Totally different world we live in now....
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

12? Playing a lot of baseball, football, a bit of soccer, started picking up hockey... When your older brother is 4 years older than you, and all you want to do is be just like him, you do what he does.

Saturdays were spent on the high school football field playing tackle with my brother and his friends. There's nothing like growing up in Texas...

Additionally, I think I had just started to teach myself HTML, though JavaScript was still too scary for me to tackle. I blame my computer geek tendencies on my brother as well. After he learned to program in Basic at school, he came home and taught me. I think I was in 4th grade when I began writing code. I still remember my first program: you had ten guesses to figure out the randomly chosen number (1 - 100). Funny how I look back at that game now and realize that if the user is smart enough, they can always win (the program let you know if your guess was too high or too low).

Them's was good days...
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    Wow, kind of mirrors what I did when I was 12. Maybe we hung out with the same crowd and never met!! It WAS safe to be unsupervised, how nice was that? We'd be fishing as much as possible in the little lake near our home, or swimming in the lake, out in the woods hunting squirrel or rabbit, catching wild game and raising them in our "jungleland" basement, camping every time we could, playing football and basketball in the yard in summer and hockey on local ponds and rinks in the winter. Man, some really great times.
    They had ice skates back then?
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

ABW Ambassador
    At around the age of 12 in the mid/late 70's Skateboarding was what my life was all about! watch the movie called "Lords of Dogtown" & that was similar to my life back then... riding ramps, empty swimming pools & parks, lots of fun & great times of freedom and care free days..
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

We all went out in the morning and didn't come back until dark basically. I lived in the country and there was lots of stuff to do (aside from cow tipping ) Our most favorite thing to do was go caving. We went in LOTS of caves with flashlights and hardhats, and , amazingly, no adult supervision. In fact, our parents didn't even know ( or care ) where we were, as long as we were home by dark.

I feel badly for my kids because they have never known and will never know this freedom as children. They can't even play in our yard without supervision. Ugh.

Just like most people here, lots of running around. Biking was my thing actually, we had a ton of really great long hills around my house, so going for rides with other neighborhood kids was a great way to kill an afternoon.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lilly
    They had ice skates back then?
    Only way to travel during the ice age.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast