how come more merchants don't offer xml feeds for their associate/affilite/partner programs?

The only programs I know of that offer web services are Amazon's and several of the ppc search engines. If people know of others, please share.

Partner programs seem like one of the best potential applications for web services. Tight integration with site, customize a web store, meta-search across multiple merchants, etc.

Is the lack of these feeds do to low tech on the part of merchants, on the part of affiliates, or something else?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Is the lack of these feeds do to low tech on the part of merchants <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. Many can barely design a decent relational database or even a decent website, let alone an xml feed.

{

"Laziness, Impatience, Hubris. Pick any three" ~ YAPC 19100

ABW Ambassador
    Let me offer one other perspective: who is paying for the development and maintenance of the feed?

However small you think the cost/labor intensity may be, somebody has to pay for it and somebody has to provide the labor.

Personally, I'd have to see significant interest from high-performing affiliates before I would devote time or money to it... particularly if my web team, as many are these days, was stretched incredibly thin.

-------
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

Ah so Cedric is a merchant...

I've long had my suspicions but never bothered to just ask.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
    - Thomas Jefferson

ABW Ambassador
    lol, no, Cedric is not a merchant. Cedric don't work for peanuts, doncha know.

Cedric just spent a lot of time in Corporate America... and the last five years before starting affiliate marketing, Cedric managed a web team... and a budget. Everything has to be paid for, everything has to show an ROI, everything has to go on a schedule, and everything has to have adequate labor alloted.

And NOTHING is as simple, cheap, or easy as the requestors think it is. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

-------
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread