Affiliate Manager
    Letter to non-performing affiliates
    I am about to send out a letter to our less active affiliates in an effort to motivate and help them increase their productivity. What should the theme of this letter be? I have looked over some examples and have yet to find a good communication from a merchant to its affiliates. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by bfree74
    What should the theme of this letter be?
    "Theme" as the overall topic/tone/appeal, or "theme" as the subject of your message?

If the former, then motivate, motivate and then motivate them again!! Make them an offer they wouldn't be able to turn away from. Grab their attention. Make it time-sensitive (yet not too unrealistic to achieve). Make is sweet...

Geno

I am about to send out a letter to our less active affiliates in an effort to motivate and help them increase their productivity. What should the theme of this letter be? I have looked over some examples and have yet to find a good communication from a merchant to its affiliates. Any suggestions?
    Get up and get your arse to work or YOUR FIRED. j/k

I wouldn't do a mass mail with this idea, they may take you up on it all at once. I would send them an inquiry and ask if there is anything that you could do to help them.

Or, if you were going to do the mass mail thing, design a few web pages with tips and tricks, helpful suggestions, recent changes, how to increase traffic, etc and mass mail the links to the suggestions.

If that doesn't work, cash usually does. Don't have a highest performer bonus. Do something like take the bottom 10%. Out of them, the most improved either in % or $$ or sales or all of those and dole out some cash. Don't just pay #1, pay slots 1-5 so at least everyone has a chance and will try.

Call it the "Zero to Hero" awards.

Affiliate Manager
    I was planning on sending out individualized emails to the affiliates, I figured that would work better. Any other incentive based programs that might raise activity

Affiliate Manager
    It should definetly have a positive tone. I would think a bonus for their first sale this month or an increased bonus for hitting a monthly goal may motivate them. I am new to this too but that seems to make sense to me.

Whatever you do don't mention dropping them, don't be negative at all. Throw in a bonus if you can too!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

I had a merchant recently offer a bonus of $250 for top performers in the last quarter of 2006, as well as another $100 bonus for selling one item that exceeds a particular amount for the month of Feb. Needless to say, I jumped on the bandwagon and promoted hard, and won an extra $350. That (money) is the only kind of motivation I need, and will probably do the same for your affiliates as well.

web dev with whiskers tn-morgen's Avatar
    Motivate Affiliates?
    I suggest asking if there is anything that would help. I had one merchant ask that question & I asked for special graphics. They provided & sales went up!

Each website has a special flavor, and if you can address that flavor in your offers, the consumer is more likely to click. If you can offer something other merchants don't for that website, then that's your selling point. Hopefully, your affiliates know what they are doing and use the correct offers for their websites.

For ad campaigns using keyword search, I have no ideas since I use my website.

Special offers that I can promote to my readers as having something that other merchants don't have, coupons and shipping deals, limited time sales, stuff like that all seems to do well, but the affiliate/webmaster may have other stuff going on that keeps them from jumping on an offer right away.

I'd say give 2 separate chances & then drop them.

I'd rather receive an email to the effect that you were trying to help me promote you and could you offer special help with banners or promotionals than a produce or else statement.

Quote Originally Posted by ADesertRose
    I'd rather receive an email to the effect that you were trying to help me promote you and could you offer special help with banners or promotionals than a produce or else statement.
    IMHO, "produce, or else" should never be an option. And the words on special help to affiliates are worth gold. In actual fact, any merchant that is serious about their program should be offering the special help on an on-going basis (not as something special, but as a given). But yes, an e-mail that contains both a motivation to produce, and a reminder of special help available would be a healthy balance in this case.

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    IMHO, "produce, or else" should never be an option. And the words on special help to affiliates are worth gold. In actual fact, any merchant that is serious about their program should be offering the special help on an on-going basis (not as something special, but as a given). But yes, an e-mail that contains both a motivation to produce, and a reminder of special help available would be a healthy balance in this case.

Geno
    I wish all merchants were this way, Geno. I always run into non-responsive ones, or some where I feel they are annoyed with having to answer questions. Having merchants actually check in with you, well, that is a real rarity (dosn't happen to offen to me).

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    I wish all merchants were this way, Geno. I always run into non-responsive ones, or some where I feel they are annoyed with having to answer questions.
    We need to put together a tool/mechanism of sending them all to the Merchant Best Practices Forum. Lack of basic merchant & affiliate manager education is the root of this evil.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    Having merchants actually check in with you, well, that is a real rarity (dosn't happen to offen to me).
    There are plenty of excellent AMs that manage ShareASale programs, and hang around this forum. Work more with them then.

Geno

Ohhh ok, let me see what I can do.. I do know one things for sure: the programs that I excel in, well, it's amazing how much communication you get when money is the real motivator.

What should the theme of this letter be?
    Something like "Work harder, ye lazy bastards!" should do the trick...
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread