Here is an email I just received from Best Buy;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> As the one year anniversary of one of the most tragic days in
    American History approaches, we would like to request that you
    remove all Best Buy advertising from your site on Wednesday,
    September 11th.

We have discussed this in depth with key partners in the advertising
    industry and they have made the recommendation to
    pull all ads, especially from content sites. They have also
    stated that running ads may cause negative comments to be
    directed at both the publisher and the advertiser.

We understand that this decision may reduce sales from your
    company as well as ours, but given the circumstances, we would
    rather err on the side of respect. For those of you who have
    been personally impacted by this tragedy, please know that our
    thoughts are with you and your family on this day. Thank you in
    advance for your cooperation, and please contact us immediately
    if you have questions or concerns.

Regards,

The BestBuy.com Affiliate Team <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, I have no problem trying to comply with a merchants request but I'm sorry this email should have been sent days ago instead of at 8:52 PM the night before. I will pay my respects in my own way and observe 9/11, the family and victoms. If Best Buy and other merchants who want me to remove their links want to donate the profits from the links thats ok too. But to me this is an unreasonable request in such short notice for some affiliates. What about the affiliates who have hundreds of their links on their site. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

This isn't about money to me it's just about the timing. I could care less about the comishes!

Affiliate Programs That Kick Major Butt

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'd ignore the email. It's perfectly plausible that you wouldn't have even read it, with it being sent at that hour. People who keep "company hours" wouldn't even get it until tomorrow.

And they are well aware of that fact.

I'd say they just want to be able to *say* they asked for all advertising to be removed, while doing all they can to see that no substantial amount of advertising goes anywhere!

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Another thing they haven't taken into consideration is cached pages - nothing anyone can do about that.

J

ABW Ambassador
    Have to agree with Leader... because if it's anything other than a CYA, it's an absolutely assinine email.

Think they're paying someone to go around and rip all their ads out of the magazines that are already on the stands?

-------
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

Yeah, I just posted the same thing over at BeFree (where I got my BestBuy link). They sent this out at 7:50 tonight. What were they thinking? We just sit by our computers waiting for merchants to tell us to jump??? Sound like someone in the advertising department paniced!

Ron
    7 Days A Week Marketing

"Keep your hands out of my cookie jar!"

I don't get it. What effect would pulling ads have? Are they saying that people are going to be upset because you're running ads on the one year anniversary of America's worst terrorist attack?

I don't understand why they think pulling ads would do any good. If anything, not seeing ads would be more cause for concern.

If they really wanted to send a message or make a statement, maybe they should have told you to remember the ones who died by being extra kind to a co-worker, smile at a stranger, tell your family and friends that you love them, do what you can to help others who might be stressed out because of the anniversary, and do whatever you can do to make this world a better place - no matter how small of an effect it might have.

I think pulling ads is the least of our worries as we remember the events of last year.

Andy

The person responsible for this at BeFree may well know that it is to late to pull the links, and what trouble that could cause - in which case he may be thoughtful after all.

A agree about honoring the moment tomorrow.

Fred

In an effort to watch your cholesterol, you eat Spam Lite.

Well, I sent the person at BeFree an email asking them to respect us as well.

Ron
    7 Days A Week Marketing

As a NYer, I say continue but with honor, make this day "extra special" to you and yours. Honor the fallen by going on.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Haiko,

I totally agree. I just think the BeFree or BestBuy person should have thought of this earlier. Why put all of their affiliates in a panic.

By the way, here in Omaha (and I imagine around the nation), there is a real sense of american pride. All the school kids are wearing red, white and blue. Everyone in town is driving with their lights on in rememberance. Schools, churches, local groups are all doing something special. It's just sad that it took a such a costly (lives) tragedy to bring this country toghether again.

Ron
    7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    If best buy was serious about this as a show of respect, they would close bestbuy.com and all their stores.

Chet

It's pretty unreasonable to change all your banners for a day, I don't think any visitors would expect that, they'd expect you to change the front page maybe *if* you're a daily updated site, but not for a static site.

Why not do something more constructive with your time and donate today's earnings to one of the many worthy charities connected with 9/11?

dynamoo.com - geeky stuff for umm geeks.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Reminds me of a POP under Ad. Never too late to get in a last minute pitch on a popular item ..signifying nothing but desperation. Closing their stores for this day and put up a full page display commerating the tragedy would MEAN they live by their shallow corporate words.

WebMaster Mike

Bit strange if you ask me. And pulling ads isn't very American. Its like asking an English person to not drink tea all day. Its not a question of money, but of culture.

Wonder what they did thats got bestbuy.com all panicking about their corporate image? Sure as hell its over compensation for something. First in the market with flags, were we?

Puzzled of Islington.

Hey everyone,
    Just thought I'd throw my two cents in here as well. Their request doesn't make much sense to me either. Even if it had been sent a week or two earlier, it still wouldn't make sense though. I don't think that it is inappropriate to be in business today, and I'm not sure why they feel that links should be removed.
    We are carrying on with business as usual. If we had been planning one of our monthly emails, I think I would have recommended that we delay it for a day or so though, but we sent one last week, so that wasn't an issue.
    On a personal note, I live 4 blocks north of the WTC site, and it was very strange leaving the building this morning. The neighborhood had pretty much returned to as normal as it could be, but this morning was very different. The police were back in full force on the street corners and side streets, and a few hundred people were walking down one of the streets towards the site, just as I was getting on the subway to come to work.
    I may walk down to the site this evening to pay my respects. I hope today will help us all heal a little more.
    Michael

Michael
    973-621-6211 x 5040
    michael(at)barenecessities.com

Osama wanted to disrupt American lives and American business. Why would we want to comply with that?

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ABW Ambassador
    &gt;&gt;Osama wanted to disrupt American lives and American business. Why would we want to comply with that?&lt;&lt;

Because we also disrupt our lives out of respect for those that we lost. We stop, we pause, we close the doors -- out of respect. It is not everyone's choice, but it is some peoples -- and it's not giving in to the terrorists, it's taking a moment. It's not forgetting.

(none of which is to say that I've changed my mind about the assinity of best buy's email)

-------
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

I received the following email this morning from Best Buy. Had we received an email like this instead it would have been better. Their orginal one never said anything about being voluntary. Please note they did not respond to my issues of the short notice that they gave us.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Dear Ron,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our recent request to take down BestBuy.com affiliate links for the anniversary of September 11. Please be
    aware that this is completely voluntary as we realize that it may not be practical in some cases for you to comply. We understand that everyone will be dealing with and remembering the events of one year ago in their own way
    and this was simply a gesture we felt would be an appropriate way to pay our respects to those effected by this terrible tragedy.

We thank you for your response and look forward to continuing to work with you.

Best Regards,

The BestBuy.com Affiliate Team <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ron
    7 Days A Week Marketing

This is just weird. I checked my email just this morning and obviously, I can't drop everything and remove all of their links. I dont understand the reasoning behind this either. They want us to remove our links to them, but when i go to their page, there is not a single mention of 9/11.

As a NYCer, this day is not about disrupting your lives. Its about going on living while taking the time to remember.

Sal @ PHATBargains.com

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread