ABW Ambassador
    I read this and I'm thinking, did it mean "We Remember to put our URL with tracking info at the bottom of this email"? It just seems crass, lame, and an attempt to capitalize on, well you know. I guess having the nice tracking URL at the bottom makes it more insensitive, to me, for some reason. Not that I have a problem with anyone pushing patriotic etc items on their sites in the name of sales; for some reason this particular e-mail just rubbed me the wrong way. And I don't mean to pick on the particular merchant who sent it, as its one of probably 100,000 that went out in similar fashion, but, it just happens to be the one that I just read. Am I just crazy?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Subject: We remember.

As we look back on the past year may we always remember
    the wondrous resilience of the human spirit.

Find strength in our capacity for kindness,
    even as we face great adversity.

And take solace in the fact
    that hope endures.

We remember.
    CCCCCCC XXXXXX
    `http://xx.xxx.xxx.com/869698.3869.6.7171.9
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[decided to just remove the references to the merchant, since, there is no reason to imply anything bad about them, and their AM probably had nothing to do with the email. Like I said it wasn't meant to be something against any merchant in particular anyway.]

Yup, I definitely see what you mean.

It's a tricky thing.. as a result of last September it seems to me (as a foreign observer) that there has been a huge upswing in American patriotism.. this is a social change and to be honest people who are selling flags, pins and other Americana are probably having a field day.

To that extent, some merchants are riding the back of this social trend which I guess is fine, but there's a thin line between that and trying to exploit things for profit.

I guess that private enterprise can always stand to gain from wars and disasters. To what extent is this acceptable in a free market economy? Sounds like an exam question.

dynamoo.com - geeky stuff for umm geeks.

Is it possible it was just an automatic signature line his software puts in and he didn't think of it?

Now if you want crass, I saw a spam a few days ago selling a watch with the date stuck on "11" and the dial stuck at 08:15 or was it 08:45? (it had a second working dial).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jaybat:
    Now if you want crass, I saw a spam a few days ago selling a watch with the date stuck on "11" and the dial stuck at 08:15 or was it 08:45? (it had a second working dial).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's so crass it's almost sick; it literally makes me nauseous thinking about it. Happily the only Sept 11 Commemorative Spam I've gotten so far has been to buy a commemorative coin.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Subject: We remember.

As we look back on the past year may we always remember
    the wondrous resilience of the human spirit.

Find strength in our capacity for kindness,
    even as we face great adversity.

And take solace in the fact
    that hope endures.

We remember.
    CCCCCCC XXXXXX
    `http://xx.xxx.xxx.com/869698.3869.6.7171.9
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe it was just their email tagline; however, if their intention was sincere I'd have thought they'd say something like "our hearts and minds are with those that lost loved ones ..." Then again it could be sincere; few people are good at this type of letter.

I think this is the sort of thing (or perception of it) the company mentioned in an earlier thread - that had lost people at WTC - was trying to prevent when they asked affiliates not to use intrusive marketing practices to market their services on 9/11.

{

"Laziness, Impatience, Hubris. Pick any three" ~ YAPC 19100

Well.. we'll see what happens tomorrow. No doubt some lowlife spammer will try and capitalise on it or some scumbag virus writer will release something even if there *isn't* a terrorist attack.

And then we have Dubya's speech on the 12th where people think he's gonna declare war on Iraq on something.

I think the week's going downhill from here on in.

dynamoo.com - geeky stuff for umm geeks.

Outsourced Program Manager
    That is word for word what Coldwater Creek sent out on the 8th of this month. Can you tell me who you received that from. We sent it out and had not tracking or promotion in it in any way. I would definitely like to see who sent that.

Thank you and God bless.

Jamie Birch
    Affiliate and Partner Programs Manager
    Coldwater Creek
    jbirch@thecreek.com
    208-265-3958

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, I was referring to the coldwater creek e-mail, just happened to be that one, but I was referring to all of the ones of this nature received in general.

The only tracking I refer to is:
    We remember.
    Coldwater Creek
    http://mx.thecreek.coldwatercreek.co...XX.YYY.ZZ.AAAA
    Those numbers at the end are for some purpose.. like someone else said though, probably just a standard signature.

I was pretty dissapointed to receive yet another 9/11 email from A Best Web as well. Like I needed another? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img]

We all remember, we all feel the pain, etc. Another email doesn't really help.. 2c

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread