Interviewing for AffMan Pos - Have a Question
    I recently left a position in the online poker world as an Affiliate Program Director, and am interviewing with a very established company outside of the gaming industry, I have a couple questions that I hope I can get some help with.

A lot of my success came from industry knowledge, and since I am switching industries I do not have the same grasp as I once did. What they are looking for is more analysis and less hands on work. Can anyone give me some information on what tools/matrix's I could use to analyze their current data to forecast up coming months? Also what sort of financial models I could research preinterview.

Thank you in advance guys, great forum and look forward to being a full time member.

Outsourced Program Manager salvo's Avatar

Thank you for the help, I don't think I explained it quite well enough.

What sort of metrics do you guys use to study performance, and forecast future results?

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonB

What sort of metrics do you guys use to study performance, and forecast future results?
    I use my bank statements.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonB

BrandonB, I think it really ends up depending on the merchant. I've worked in a few different industries with a few different merchants and a couple different networks - expectations were different in every case. Sorry I can't offer any help and sorry about what happened to your industry...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    BrandonB, I think it really ends up depending on the merchant. I've worked in a few different industries with a few different merchants and a couple different networks - expectations were different in every case. Sorry I can't offer any help and sorry about what happened to your industry...
    I really appreciate the help and yes its been a bit rough. Everything happens for a reason!

Would anyone be able to give me a list, or link me to a wide array of possible metric's that I could do an overview on? Basically they want me to be more of an analyst for their large company. I just need to brush up on these things.

thanks again

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Smile
    Hi Brandon,

I apologize if I don't understand your question correctly because I'd think that as someone who had previous affiliate marketing management experience you already know this but it sounds like you're asking for what units of measurement you should be using to gauge program performance.

If I am correct, the following are a good start to help you begin to get a sense of how the program is doing if looked at from a year over year and month over month stand

-Clicks
    -Gross Revenue
    -Conversion Rate
    -EPC (Earnings per 100 Clicks)
    -Orders
    -Average Order Value
    -# of Affiliates Joined to the program
    -# & % of Active Affiliates (as defined by sending traffic/hits)
    -# & % of Producing Affiliates (as defined by producing sales)

Next analyze their current objectives, and methods used to achieve those objectives. Are they doing all they can be? What are they missing? What's working for them and what isn't? How are they promoting their program, what methods are used for recruitment, what are they doing to activate new partners, what are they doing to keep them active, optimize those relationships etc?

Once you've done all that and then some you should be able to forecast a reasonable amount of growth within a reasonable amount of time and outline how you plan to achieve that growth.

That should give you a good start to analyzing the program.

Finally, you may want to think about attending industry symposiums such as Affiliate Summit, or Andy Rodriguez seminar series - you can learn a lot from both.

I hope this answers your question and once again I apologize if I have misunderstood your inquiry.

Good luck!

Best regards,

Online Marketing Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by e-Gazer

-Clicks
    -Gross Revenue
    -Conversion Rate
    -EPC (Earnings per 100 Clicks)
    -Orders
    -Average Order Value
    -# of Affiliates Joined to the program
    -# & % of Active Affiliates (as defined by sending traffic/hits)
    -# & % of Producing Affiliates (as defined by producing sales)

Ms. Gazer hehehe gave you some good advice, and just to add on a bit, some other metrics you may want to think about are:

percentage increase in actual liquid growth. (The amount the program earned in cash for the company) Sale - costs - markups = percentage increase in actual liquid growth (roughly)

Lowering impressions and increasing clicks to gain EPC.

# & % of affiliates you have reactivated

Growth rates against your competitors, if you have direct ones

# & % increase or decrease in coupon and contest activity (depending on industry)

Also remember, that coupons aren't always the best metric either because they lower the cost of items sold and decrease your liquid cash flow. But then again, they also attract some affiliates. On the bad side they also help to include fraud. Ehh this should be a different thread.

% decrease in dirt from your network. (cleaning out parasites which take away from your SEO efforts directly, steal from other affiliates, etc...)

Hope this helps and ads to the info Ms. gazer gave ya.

(P.S. be confident during your interview, affiliates and marketing departments need to see confidence in their employee's and their employees products, otherwise affiliates are not going to be as inclined to push them and management will be hiesitent to let you out at symposiums to represent and recruit for them.)

You also might want to speak to Loxly in addition to the symposiums and Andy R.'s program. They are all very good ways to learn and grow.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread