Are you using the ordb.org DNSBL?
    I've been having problems getting emails from one of my affiliate managers, but I was having a hard time figuring out why. Today, I finally dug into it and figured out that my mail server was taking a long time to respond, causing a timeout for some senders. I dug further and figured out that it was the ordb.org DNSBL. They shut it down in December. I removed it and everything works fine now.

For those who aren't familiar with DNSBLs, basically they are just DNS-based spammer blacklists. Various services track spam sources and provide these blacklists (usually as a free service). If you configure your mail server (or some mail clients), they will lookup the sender's IP address in the database and if they are listed it will reject any email they try to send.

Just thought I would pass it along, in case anyone else still has their mail server configured to use ordb.org or are having timeout problems.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks for posting this. I had been having sporadic email receiving problems, and this is likely the culprit.

I'm now using two RBLs:
    sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org
    bl.spamcop.net

While I was pulling ordb.org, I went ahead and pulled spamcop.net, too. I love the idea and how much spam they catch, but I get some false positives from them. It's not a large percent, but it's too much for me.

The ones I'm still using are:

smtp.dnsbl.sorbs.net
    rhsbl.sorts.net
    dnsbl.njabl.org
    sbl.spamhaus.org
    cbl.abuseat.org
    dnsbl.ahbl.org
    chinanet.blackholes.us
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I think I'll pull that one too.
    I had recently noticed a dramatic reduction in spam, but also an increase in false positives.

Hi Michael & Bayview,

Thanks for the notice.

If you're looking to reduce your dns load, I highly recommend zen.spamhaus.org, which is the combination of SBL, XBL, and PBL (Spamhaus Block List, Exploits Block List, and Policy Block List, respectively) in a single list. It replaces two of the rbl's on both of your existing lists. I have zero false positives from Zen, so it's definitely on my "approved" list:

http://www.spamhaus.org/zen/

We also use SpamAssassin to add scores for about a dozen other DNSRBLs, but Zen is the only one that we use to block at the SMTP level because it's just that reliable.

We used to run a free webmail service, so I have the unfortunate (but useful) experience of dealing with this on a large scale.

Good luck.

-Dale
    Dale LaFountain, CIO, <a style="color:#c23015; font-weight:bold; text-decoration:underline;" href="http://www.tfaw.com/">Things From Another World</a> - More Comics. More Toys. More Stuff. More FUN!
    14% base comm / up to 21.5% w/perf incent / 90 return days / parasite free / HUGE datafeed / <a style="color:#c23015; font-weight:bold; text-decoration:underline;" href="http://www.tfaw.com/Help/Affiliate-Information___168?qt=abw">[b]Join[/b]</a>

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread