Do you announce your aff. pgm launch to your customers?
    My subject says it all. Should you put out a mailing to your customer list of the launch of your affiliate program in the hopes that they become affiliates?

xo,
    P
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

ABW Ambassador
    No.

Internet Cowboy
    I can't imagine that you should share your marketing efforts with your customer base. If you see some of your customers who look like they might operate a web site that is a different story. Anyone with a webmaster@ or a domain that you can tell is their's is fair game I'd say.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Aaak, no!
    How anticonversionary: That'd be like saying, "Hey, guess what, we're charging enough to pay X% commission!"
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I have seen some of our competitors do it.. Dunno about the success of it

probably not the best idea. I see how it may get some affiliates, but announcing it through ABW, or some other way could be better... Or you could put a link on your website saying something about 'earning money from your website' or something like that to try to get some folks. I know some merchants who do that, but as an affiliate, I prefer stores to just promote their affiliate programs within the affiliate channels, rather than trying to make every tom, dick & harry into an affiliate marketer.

I think you are dealing with apples and oranges. Customers are customers and affiliates are web designers and marketers. My suggestion is to sell your customers on the products and specials. Then, let the affiliates find you some new customers.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I've seen with my own eyes that a customer base can simultaneously serve as an extremely effective sales force. However, to make this work, you really need to look at affiliate marketing in a different way.

Affiliate Manager
    You are opening a new can of worms when advertising your affiliate program to your customers. 99% probably never heard of terms like html, php, mysql, etc.... The next thing you know you or your affiliate manager is getting calls from people that want to "open a web store" and quit their day job tommorrow but yet have no clue on how to make a website.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I can see where in general this question would be met with a certain amount of resistance from potential "professional" affiliates, but I don't think it is a black or white issue.

In general, I can see a potential where an affiliate may view it as a conflict or a stumbling block in that it has the potential to interfere with sales. Whether it does or not, how a potential affiliate "perceives" the policy could impact his/her decision. That could negatively impact your affiliate recruitment efforts on forums - where 1,000 affiliates sign up and then a small percentage of them actually go live with your program!! LOL. In some regards, it would resemble a "redirect" in that customers are recruited at the expense of future commissions? (note the question mark gang)

The thought also crosses my mind that it depends on other variables like the products or services being sold, and how you track affiliate sales and future commissions. Example: an affiliate drives a sale to you, and then the customer gets an email from you inviting them to become an affiliate. If future purchases made by the new affiliate are not credited to the original affiliate because the customer / affiliate saves money by ordering direct and pocketing the commission, that's a conflict.

If it's a web site owner, I agree with Scooter that it could be fair game. I also see Chet's point that if you get moms and pops who wanting an online store joining you, it would be a support nightmare.

Many merchants have an "affiliate program" or "partner with us" or "make money with us" link somewhere on their sites, so the issue already exists to some extent. But in those cases I doubt more than one out of 1,000 consumers know what it is, or bothers to click it. On the otherhand targeting customers with a recruitment email might be viewed differently by some.

Best Of Luck
    Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    I think you are dealing with apples and oranges. Customers are customers and affiliates are web designers and marketers. My suggestion is to sell your customers on the products and specials. Then, let the affiliates find you some new customers.
    Disagree. It all depends on the customer base you have. One of my managed program AsiaJam is doing very well promoting their affiliate program to their own customers and forum members.

Here's an example of what a customer (not a web designer or webmaster) said about the AsiaJam program:

Quote Originally Posted by trashy*pearls View Post
    ^___^ I love the affiliate program!! It's all to benefit Asiajam which is such a good thing!
    AsiaJam customers are people who are fashionistas and have deep passions about the Asian culture and would promote the site happily to see it grow.

I can also see how some programs may not be suitable. For example, if you're running your affiliate program from a network that would not accept bloggers or individuals as affiliates, then it's not a great idea at all because most of your customers would be rejected in the sign up process anyways.

Affiliate Manager
    We did announce ours to customers since many of our customers have some sort of web presense either through myspace, other social sites or websites. Honestly it didnt result in a huge affiliate increase.

Quote Originally Posted by bizzer
    Disagree. It all depends on the customer base you have. One of my managed program AsiaJam is doing very well promoting their affiliate program to their own customers and forum members.
    Sorry, I happen to know what Patricks product base is so I thought it was not applicable here. In some cases it might well be.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Aaak, no!
    How anticonversionary: That'd be like saying, "Hey, guess what, we're charging enough to pay X% commission!"
    I don't even mention the affiliate program anywhere on my site for that reason.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread