A Little Information
    I've been sitting here wondering about something since reading the coupon article in the latest Revenue magazine a few days ago -- link/code stealing. Since I have zero ties to the coupon world I'm needing a little clarification.

In my head, if ABC merchant gives you an exclusive coupon then it should be tied to you, correct? So if someone takes the link or coupon code and puts it up on their site, what good is that serving them?

Or am I missing something? Which I'm sure I am.

Just needing a little late night education while I take coding breaks.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilebadboy
    In my head, if ABC merchant gives you an exclusive coupon then it should be tied to you, correct? So if someone takes the link or coupon code and puts it up on their site, what good is that serving them?
    It depends on the merchant. Some merchants are able to give you an exclusive code that will ALWAYS track back to you. Others can give you an exclusive code, but can't guarantee that it will track back. I definitely prefer working with the former.

I'm guessing some of it has to do with the shopping cart that is being used, while some of it is attributed to the merchant and their willingness to make sure the correct affiliate earns the sale.

Michael

I guess I need to read that article. Not sure if I have the latest issue though?
    Here's my issue which seems similar:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=85606

Very few merchants offer truly exclusive coupons, but the number is growing.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Just wondering. I keep seeing people say "my exclusive coupon"... That's what raised the question in my head. I guess they mean exclusive to a handful of affiliates, not just them.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

ABW Ambassador
    Usually it just means the code is their site name or something very similar. It's the only site that is supposed to be posting it. But some lazy couponers just grab them off of other sites. Most affiliate managers don't enforce it.

ABW Ambassador
    I have two merchants offer me exclusive coupon codes. Those codes are slightly different with other general codes like "SHOPSAVE", "WINTER", "FF3344". The codes they sent to me have part of my site name on them. I assume they are exclusive just for me.

Should I wish sb grab those codes so I can get the credit?

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread