Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Merchant Keeps Ignoring Datafeed Request
    I have sent them 3 requests now and they just ignore each one, I don't even get a response, nothing!

I see on my stats I made quite a good sale for them today, lets see if they get back to me now

Hello,

This is the 3rd and last time I will request datafeed FTP access, if you don't at least respond to my request by emailing me for the reason why you won't grant me access to download the datafeed by FTP then I will have no choice but to terminate our relationship.

{Contact Info}
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Hey Glinted,
    PM or email me with the merchant name and I'll give them a quick call. Maybe their email isn't set up right and the FTP request is getting sent to the wrong place?
    best,
    Carolyn
    ShareASale Client Services
    Y!: SAS_CTang
    e: ctang(at)shareasale.com

In the past, I've found that if I email a merchant directly -- that is, track down a real email address and use regular email instead of the contact form -- the merchant sometimes reports that the "contact form" emails are getting filtered as spam and are never seen by the merchant.

Another suggestion for SAS: Add a "requested access" field to the FTP-access screen for merchants. When I get emails, I need to manually search for each affiliate in order to enable FTP access. It would be much easier if, when I look at the FTP-access screen, I could sort by "affiliates who have requested FTP access," or at least if those requests were displayed there. (I'd also like a button to "approve all FTP datafeeds requested by affiliates," though now that I think about it, it's time to set "auto-approve" for FTP requests.)

I'll go one further: SAS, get rid of the $1-per-affiliate fee that is charged to merchants to enable FTP access. I view that fee as a "nickel-and-dime" extra charge that discourages merchants from running their program properly.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'll go one further: SAS, get rid of the $1-per-affiliate fee that is charged to merchants to enable FTP access. I view that fee as a "nickel-and-dime" extra charge
    Yes!

SAS definitely needs to get rid of that irritating FTP fee, if they're going to keep having FTP access as an allowable option!

SAS has said in the past that they want merchants to be "careful" of who they approve rather than just approving everyone. They need to rid themselves of the illusion that performance can be predicted by merchants at the time these people are applying! Rather than try to play blind-guessy-guessy, stabbing around blindly to guess who to approve, it's been much easier on the nerves and wallet to just say NO. If I wanted to blindly gamble a dollar, I'd play the lottery (note here, that I DO NOT play the lottery).

The fact that people who download the feed via the interface *without* using FTP, and Make-A-Page users, have done infinitely better than FTP access-granted affs is definitely a big factor in my negative opinion of this fee.

I'll note here that the performance-related commentary doesn't apply to other networks. Other networks often only have FTP, so if you want their feeds, that's what you get. They COULD all kill their fees, though!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Trust does make a very valid / positive point here. When you consider the countless threads about 95% of affiliate signups never activating campaigns, a merchant starts to pay attention to paying for access for 95% that don't use it. I know that (in our case) when we have reviewed sites from applicants that may not look like a fit with our program that it is a consideration.

Thanks - Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Ditto Leader
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    The point of the fee is to make merchants consider the grant rights of a powerful tool that can provide full information about their product lines, etc...

(Especially with the multitude of 3rd party datafeed systems that are out there... the use of this tool can have a definite impact on where their product info is displayed, quite quickly...)

If anyone has suggestions on how to make a merchant stop, think, and consider the grant rights - i am all ears...

We are working on currently improving the application process to allow for more information to be passed to a merchant in order to give that info which may be included in this month's "Month of the Interface" or perhaps in a future update...

Affiliates who really want to be granted access should definitely be inputting custom messages to the merchant to describe their needs... so many affiliates just leave the available fields blank or with a default message like "Ftp Access", when they could write a description of what they need and why they need it.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Brian, I don't see any way to review those messages in the merchant interface. In fact, I didn't even know affiliates could send comments...

Have you considered making it a requirement, perhaps even with a minimum number of characters to assure they actually say something?

Like Leader said, most affiliates never even place links, let alone set up automated FTP downloads of datafeeds, so might as well put a hurdle there to help prevent willy-nilly applications.

Without comments, there's just nothing there for a merchant to consider. We don't know how long the affiliate has been with SaS, if they've ever generated a commission, where and how they plan to use the feed, etc. If affiliates had to submit comments (and we could see them), it'd be a big step in the right direction.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Eathan wrote: > "I didn't even know affiliates could send comments... // Have you considered making it a requirement, perhaps even with a minimum number of characters to assure they actually say something?" <

I was surprised to see Brian's statement that some affiliates don't provide an explanation when requesting FTP access, because there is a comment field on the "ftp access" page for affiliates, which says that a minimum of 35 characters MUST be entered. This is only on the page where affiliates apply to get FTP access for a merchant who has already approved them to participate in the merchant's affiliate program, and is not part of the initial affiliate application process.

The comment is appended to the FTP-access request email that comes from ShareASale to the merchant (below is the email text that I received as the AM for QuoteProducts, in response to my application for FTP access from my personal affiliate account).

However, because of the spacing in the email, the comment appears "below the fold" (not visible without scrolling) in most email clients.

UserID: 104451 is requesting FTP Access to your Datafeed, MerchantID: 10812 - available on Shareasale.com

The affiliates info is as follows:

Apply Date for your program: 2006-08-22 00:00:00.0
    Organization: Mark J. Welch
    Approval Status on your program: Yes

Shareasale Membership Level: Full

Uses Incentives: no

Commissions Total Earned: $XXX.XX

Sales Total Generated: XX

Hits Total: XXXX

They have offered the following comment:

{My ftp-application comment appeared here}

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Mark,

I'm not clear on what you are getting at... Are you saying we should move it above the fold in the email?
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

I think it should be one of the first things a merchant/AM sees. I always make it a point to state why I would like access to a datafeed.

---------

UserID: 104451 is requesting FTP Access to your Datafeed, MerchantID: 10812 with the following comments:

application comment here

User info below.

---------

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Brian asked: > "Mark, I'm not clear on what you are getting at... Are you saying we should move it above the fold in the email?" <

There are really two suggestions to draw from this thread:
    • Move the comment field up above the fold in the email; and
    • Offer a way for merchants to "allow or require" affiliates to include a comment in the original affiliate-program application.

Instead of the version I quoted above, the "FTP application" email could look like this:

One of your affiliates has requested FTP access to your datafeed (for "QuoteProducts.com," merchant ID 10812).

The affiliate (# 104451) is "Mark J. Welch," who has "Full" status. The affiliate lists their primary website as www.MarkWelch.com (more information, including any additional sites identified by this affiliate, is available at http://www.shareasale.com/m-affdetai...?userID=104451 after you've logged in to your ShareASale merchant account). This affiliate has earned a total of $XXX.XX from your program, from XX transactions after XXXX clicks, since being accepted into your program on (date).

They have offered the following comment: {ftp-application comment here}

ABW Ambassador
    Hello Carolyn, I have sent you a PM with all the details thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn - ShareASale
    Hey Glinted,
    PM or email me with the merchant name and I'll give them a quick call. Maybe their email isn't set up right and the FTP request is getting sent to the wrong place?
    As for the fee issue, I can understand why it is there but it can get in the way as other members have pointed out. I also see it as a benefit for us as it means less affiliates will use the datafeeds so less competition. But if I had to choose if it is there or not then I would rather it not be there but I can live with it if improvements are made to the process as discussed on this thread.

Another idea is that when a merchant joins the network then they are given a clear and simple set of instructions to read which include making email accounts working.

As for custom FTP access messages, I have one saved for each site - something along the lines of:

Hello,
    I'm happy to report that we have implemented your datafeed into out {subject} related website and I would appreciate it if you can provide ftp access for our website {website url}. By having access to use FTP with your datafeed then It will make our updating process a lot more efficient.

{contact details}
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    My suggestion is for the fee is that it take a long walk off an ultra-short pier.

The idea behind it is flawed, too: It presumes that merchants can somehow "consider" something which is unknowable, namely, how (and IF!) the approvee is going to use that FTP access.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian
    (Especially with the multitude of 3rd party datafeed systems that are out there... the use of this tool can have a definite impact on where their product info is displayed, quite quickly...)
    Anyone shady enough to put it into a system the reasonable merchant wouldn't want it in, isn't going to go and say so (or show other evidence of that intent, for instance by showing the "bad" site in their app)! And if it's a *legit* 3rd-party system, they'll probably get approved anyway. A fee does nothing to stop the shady types--who are the very ones that merchants wouldn't want in their programs even if there wasn't a fee. All except the dumbest of unethical-types will try to blend in with those who are actually legit.

Charging $1, or any sum, is not going to grant the powers of divination to merchants. It's not logical or reasonable to expect otherwise. The "problem" is very fundamental: WE CANNOT SEE THE FUTURE!

And, that's only a problem because you slapped a fee on it. It's like getting a ticket for trying to guess whether it's going to rain on an overcast day. You can't tell whether it will rain or not--can't hope to--and either way, you lose!

If anyone has suggestions on how to make a merchant stop, think, and consider the grant rights - i am all ears...
    That fee isn't going to do it. Your own interface has a way to turn FTP access approval to an automatic "yes!" Obviously there are a significant number of merchants who don't want any part of piddling around with that kind of stuff. My own stats show me that it's a much better bet to pick "tails" (Deny All), but in either case, pretending to consider the unconsiderable is nothing but a waste of time and a cause of aggravation for all.

And that's just it: It's an unconsiderable! Only the putziest putz is going to put something that'll obviously result in a "no" on their app. That leaves the other 99.99% as nothing but guesswork.

Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    might as well put a hurdle there to help prevent willy-nilly applications.
    But this fee won't affect that issue one way or the other. It does nothing to deter people from making impulse applications.
    Last edited by Leader; February 16th, 2007 at 12:24 AM.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
    Mark,

I'm not clear on what you are getting at... Are you saying we should move it above the fold in the email?
    It should be in the back end when we review applications.

Like Mark, I totally missed the comments in the email, but honestly the email isn't the place we take action, so is beside the point. The only purpose it serves is to let us know we have action to take when we next login. My earlier point was that there's no information once we get in there, including any comments made by the applicant.

Would it be possible to require affiliates to at least implement a datafeed before requesting ongoing FTP access? If that happened, I think the fee could go out the window with all the pointless apps.

Leader, I think you missed where I was going with that. My point was that creating a new hurdle in the FTP application process for affiliates would help cut down on willy-nilly applications. I was not defending the fee.
    Eathan Mertz

Would it be possible to require affiliates to at least implement a datafeed before requesting ongoing FTP access
    That would be the end of my datafeed requests.

Nearly all my datafeeds are set up with automated scripts for FTP. The ones that aren't, I just haven't requested FTP access for yet. And I haven't manually updated their feeds either.

I'm not going to spend extra time to have to manually implement a feed, to turn around and try and get FTP access, then turn around and set it all up again with an automated script.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Would it be possible to require affiliates to at least implement a datafeed before requesting ongoing FTP access? If that happened, I think the fee could go out the window with all the pointless apps.
    If the datafeed is not too big, I don't see any problem with that idea, but if the datafeed have a few thousand's products, that idea may not be so good.

I usually download the datafeed and play with it first, if I see what I like, then I upload it to the site, and when I see that the merchant is updating the feed, then I may ask for FTP access after that.

But if the datafeed have more than 2k products, I may or may not touch that feed on my HD, that's the time that I would ask for FTP access before I upload any product pages.

Why would I waste many hours playing with a big datafeed on my HD, if now I can do more with it, and even faster, with the datafeed live on a test site first?

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    IMO, even with the fee, merchants should have an option to allow all FTP access applications by default. similarly to the option of allowing all affiliates who apply into a program. A merchant can the, of course, choose to discontinue FTP access for particular affiliates if required for whatever reasons.

It is important for some affiliates to have access to a merchant's datafeed without having to wait for anything more than a few hours.
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

Eathan wrote: > "Would it be possible to require affiliates to at least implement a datafeed before requesting ongoing FTP access?" <

Eathan, are you suggesting a "make-work" activity for affiliates to prove that they are serious? It's easy enough for anyone to grab a datafeed and use webmerge to pop out a garbage "thin affiliate" site -- it takes time that I won't waste any more, but it's easy. But this isn't going to provide any benefit for the merchant or the affiliate. It's a waste of time.

mobilebadgboy replied: > "That would be the end of my datafeed requests. Nearly all my datafeeds are set up with automated scripts for FTP. The ones that aren't, I just haven't requested FTP access for yet. And I haven't manually updated their feeds either. I'm not going to spend extra time to have to manually implement a feed, to turn around and try and get FTP access, then turn around and set it all up again with an automated script." <

Exactly right -- the number one problem I have when working with datafeeds is that the content gets "stale." I have just purged several dozen large "affiliate datafeed sections" from my personal affiliate sites, and will not be posting ANY new datafeed content without a "mostly automated" method of updating it. I'm not going to manually log in and check and then manually click to download each updated datafeed -- that's just ridiculous. Without an automated system, datafeeds are a waste of time; without ftp, automated systems are unlikely to work well.

AffiliateBuddha: > "IMO, even with the fee, merchants should have an option to allow all FTP access applications by default. similarly to the option of allowing all affiliates who apply into a program. A merchant can the, of course, choose to discontinue FTP access for particular affiliates if required for whatever reasons. It is important for some affiliates to have access to a merchant's datafeed without having to wait for anything more than a few hours." <

I did not realize (as a merchant AM) that there was a procedure to set up "auto-approval" of ftp access until I noticed that some of my requests (as an affiliate) were being auto-approved.

To set up "auto-approval" rules for ftp access, merchants can log in to their accounts and then go to http://www.shareasale.com/m-ftprules.cfm
    Last edited by markwelch; February 16th, 2007 at 12:09 PM.

Why the $1 FTP-access fee is a waste
    Brian, and others:

As a merchant AM, I am charged $1 each time I grant ftp access to an affiliate. The stated reason for this fee is to encourage merchants to be careful about granting ftp access only to appropriate affiliates.

The $1 fee, like the cumbersome process to approve FTP access, is an added obstacle, but it does NOT provide the right incentive.

As a merchant AM, when I get an FTP-access request from an affiliate, I have to decide whether to "just grant it" (which requires manually logging in, searching for the affiliate, and clicking and submitting, and then manually sending an email reply to inform the affiliate that ftp access has been granted) or to spend even more time reviewing the site, possibly following up with questions, etc.

My choice, every time, is to "just grant it," and not waste more time -- because my time is worth more than the $1 fee. Even if the fee were $2 or $5, I would probably still "just grant it" because my time is worth more than those fees, also.

As others have noted, it's really impossible to know which affiliates are going to perform well, and it's impossible to know which affiliates are going to use FTP access wisely (or at all).

As an affiliate, my experience is that the merchants who spend the most time screening (and often rejecting) ftp access for existing affiliates are the ones who are NOT dedicating any time to making their affiliate program work. In other words, the ftp-access fee (and process) distracts merchants from more important work.

When I was considering which affiliate-tracking-technology solution to adopt for QuoteProducts, I viewed the $1-per-affiliate ftp-access fee as a "nickel-and-dime extra fee" by SAS (I probably thought of it as a "hidden fee" at the time), and thus a reason to be wary that SAS might later impose fees that would restrict customers' choices of optimal affiliate marketing solutions.

My understanding is that SAS does not view the $1 fee as a significant "source of revenue," and that there is no particular extra cost incurred by SAS when a merchant grants FTP access. (If there are costs for FTP that are greater than for "click-to-download," let us know and work out an appropriate fee structure.)

Drop the $1 fee.

Encourage merchants to automatically grant FTP access.

Enable FTP access for all affiliates, period.
    Last edited by markwelch; February 16th, 2007 at 12:11 PM.

Affiliate Manager
    I dont really see a problem with the $1 fee. It does make you take a look at the affiliates site before approving them for feed access. Often times I find that the affiliates site is nothing more then some spammy page that I may not want to grant access to. I can definetly see some of the major merchants viewing it that way.

sthbodyjewelry wrote: > "I dont really see a problem with the $1 fee. It does make you take a look at the affiliates site before approving them for feed access. Often times I find that the affiliates site is nothing more then some spammy page that I may not want to grant access to. I can definetly see some of the major merchants viewing it that way." <

I don't understand why you'd accept a "spammy page" as an affiliate in the first place?

What is actually triggering your rejection of ftp access to the affiliate?
    • The $1 fee and/or the extra time to approve & notify;
    • Regret that you ever approved the affiliate site at all;
    • Disbelief that the affiliate will use ftp access wisely or at all?

I think reason #1 is an artificial barrier; reason #2 implies that you should disable auto-approval of affiliates; and reason #3 is questionable because someone who knows enough to request FTP access is probably smarter than their "spammy page" would otherwise suggest.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    sthbodyjewelry wrote: > "I dont really see a problem with the $1 fee. It does make you take a look at the affiliates site before approving them for feed access. Often times I find that the affiliates site is nothing more then some spammy page that I may not want to grant access to. I can definetly see some of the major merchants viewing it that way." <

I don't understand why you'd accept a "spammy page" as an affiliate in the first place?

What is actually triggering your rejection of ftp access to the affiliate?
    • The $1 fee and/or the extra time to approve & notify;
    • Regret that you ever approved the affiliate site at all;
    • Disbelief that the affiliate will use ftp access wisely or at all?

I think reason #1 is an artificial barrier; reason #2 implies that you should disable auto-approval of affiliates; and reason #3 is questionable because someone who knows enough to request FTP access is probably smarter than their "spammy page" would otherwise suggest.
    I think #3 is the major reason. Since we are giving access to company content we want to make sure they are doing the right things with it. We do auto accept our affiliates and review our list weekly. If there is an affiliate we think is doing something against our terms of service or we find shady we contact them to touch base. If an issue isnt resolved we terminate from our program.

Trust me the $1/affiliate doesn't make or break us. We have not been cheap with our affiliate program. We offer great commissions, are using a third party network and have been participating in paid affiliate recruitment.

> "Since we are giving access to company content we want to make sure they are doing the right things with it." <

The same company content is provided to all affiliates without FTP access, so I don't accept this as a meaningful argument.

As you note, you auto-approve affiliates (so they immediately have access to your entire datafeed).

Of course, FTP access provides easier, faster access to the datafeed, and to updates, so there is a marginal increase in the risk of abuse -- but if you're really worried about someone misusing your data, you'd need to screen them before allowing them to be an affiliate at all.

I don't question your right to screen affiliates, nor to remove affiliates whom you believe will misuse or misrepresent your company or products. What I don't understand is why "request for FTP access" should be the trigger for any new or different scrutiny?

I also wonder if the "FTP access approval" process may be misunderstood by some merchants -- who may thus believe (wrongly) that affiliates can't access datafeeds without FTP approval?

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    Eathan, are you suggesting a "make-work" activity for affiliates to prove that they are serious?
    Not a "make-work" activity, just brainstorming ways to get more info and make the FTP decision easier. Personally, I'd rather just see the fee eliminated...

I have a feed with < 100 products. Once a month we add a couple new ones, but it'll never be some mega-feed. It's more for affiliates who actually want to mess with descriptions, etc, who want to personalize the data. FTP, I believe, is more for big feeds with lots of changes (price changes, out of stock, product deletions, etc), so I wasn't sure what to make of FTP requests at first.

Then there's this silly fee. I log in, check out the affiliates requesting access and the only info I see is that they've never sent a click, that their membership level is "limited" and that they have a mall site or two. As mentioned, comments don't appear. So, it's really a blind guess - do I spend a buck or not?

All I'm looking for is more information, or some means of knowing that the affiliate at least has plans for the feed.

Quote Originally Posted by mobilebadboy
    That would be the end of my datafeed requests. Nearly all my datafeeds are set up with automated scripts for FTP. The ones that aren't, I just haven't requested FTP access for yet. And I haven't manually updated their feeds either. I'm not going to spend extra time to have to manually implement a feed, to turn around and try and get FTP access, then turn around and set it all up again with an automated script.
    Not what I was hoping for obviously, but I hope you can see why the thought struck me. Again, just brainstorming.

On what you said though, forgive me if I don't understand the implementation, but IF it was a requirement, couldn't you upload a new feed to your own server and point the FTP request there until approved, then swap out the URL in the script once access was given?

Sorry if my technical understanding misses the mark, I was just under the assumption that what I was suggesting wasn't as much work as it sounds like it might be...
    Eathan Mertz

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast