Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Info for Adwords Advertisers
    Google AdWords Adds Quality Score, Budget Analysis & New Algorithm:

http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/012405.html

For those of you interested...

edit: by the way, to get down to the matter, they are implementing two new changes that focus on transparency and quality of your ads/keywords. If you go directly here, you can see these changes that they plan on making:

http://adwords.blogspot.com/2007/02/...e-updates.html

Eh, with the way they are talking, it looks like another big quality update is just around the corner, and we can expect CPCs to go up and down during that process. I hope they leave my sites alone this time...they done enough damage earlier.

I'm not seeing the "quality score" today, but I am definitely seeing a change: many of the minimum-bid rates for search terms popped up to $1.00 (and some to $5 or more). Most of these are on search terms that had minimum bid rates of $0.10 to $0.20 a couple of days ago. That made a bunch of keywords fall from "active" to "inactive" status in my accounts, since I don't chase this nonsense.

However, bid rates for UPC codes as keywords (which are very, very, very rarely searched) seem to have dropped. It looks like a large number of these went from "inactive" to "active" in my accounts.

As MoneyBusiness mentioned, when we see these kinds of dramatic changes, they usually bounce around for several days (or weeks, when they first started with these changes last year), so it's wise to just watch for a while before changing your bid rates.

I'm not seeing the new feature or minimum bid changes yet either.

I hope the score "poor", "great", etc. is more than a simple correlation of minimum bid. Maybe it correlates to relative minimum bid, which would be helpful.

The example in the link shows quality score 10c = "Great", hmmm, I shoot for less than 5 cents on first attempts, but of course I have many 10c min bids in my account too. Depends on how hard I want to work it really.

Maybe there's markets where a 10c min bid is great, I dunno!

Anybody know if a 2c minimum bid indicates a 2x quality improvement on a 4 cent minimum bid? Another way of asking would be is there a geometric (multiplication) or arithmetic (addition) improvement? There's a huge difference between them. It's like saying is (quality of) ad 'A' twice as good as ad 'B' or is it only 2 cents better than ad 'B'.

Knowing Google it's probably a changing quadratic equation on a sliding scale, or worse!!
    Brain starting to hurt now

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Lookin fine on my end. No bumped words or bids. Just put up a couple more ad groups three days ago, and them seem fine too - so hopefully I am doing it right.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Online Marketing Consultant
    Nothing changed here, good post though, thanks!
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Affiliate Manager
    I actually think the updates will be a good thing. There is too much hidden info in the current system. Your ads just get disabled and they diont tell you more then a vague reason. Now at least you will be able to see what the quality score of your landing page is so you can adjust before you get disabled.

Yeah, I don't think the changes are support to take affect for another few days (I checked for those special column headers,but they aren't there yet).

I will update as soon as I see a difference (it better be good!).

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    Yeah, I don't think the changes are support to take affect for another few days (I checked for those special column headers,but they aren't there yet).

I will update as soon as I see a difference (it better be good!).
    I checked the headers too and see nothing. On the clickz report it did say that those headers would be viewable today.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    It's been rolled out already, you have to go to keyword tab, click on customize columns, see the "Show Quality Score" choice, click it.

From their newsletter then sent out already:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    So, what does this mean for you? As a result of this update, you may notice that the minimum bids increase for some of your keywords and decrease for others. To better understand the impact of this change, we suggest that you implement the Quality Score column. This will allow you to better monitor whether your minimum bids increase or decrease based on our changes. If you find that the minimum bids for any of your keywords increase, making your keyword inactive for search, please consider optimizing your campaign instead of raising your maximum CPC to the minimum bid. We recommend changes such as choosing a keyword that is more specific to the product or service that you offer or editing your ad text to make it more relevant to the keyword before you simply raise your minimum bid. By improving your quality we hope to provide the highest quality ads to our users while also providing you with the highest quality leads to maintain great ROI.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The change sticks across the entire campaign if you change it anywhere within any of the ad groups within a campaign. Apparently, if you run multiple campaigns, it needs to be clicked to "show" somewhere in each campaign.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    It's been rolled out already, you have to go to keyword tab, click on customize columns, see the "Show Quality Score" choice, click it.

From their newsletter then sent out already:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    So, what does this mean for you? As a result of this update, you may notice that the minimum bids increase for some of your keywords and decrease for others. To better understand the impact of this change, we suggest that you implement the Quality Score column. This will allow you to better monitor whether your minimum bids increase or decrease based on our changes. If you find that the minimum bids for any of your keywords increase, making your keyword inactive for search, please consider optimizing your campaign instead of raising your maximum CPC to the minimum bid. We recommend changes such as choosing a keyword that is more specific to the product or service that you offer or editing your ad text to make it more relevant to the keyword before you simply raise your minimum bid. By improving your quality we hope to provide the highest quality ads to our users while also providing you with the highest quality leads to maintain great ROI.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Your right, I now have access in my account. Time to do some tweaking.

I really like being able to see the quality score - hopefully take a bit of guess work out of it. I'm pleased to see almost all "Great" - I am finally getting the hang of this.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    However, bid rates for UPC codes as keywords (which are very, very, very rarely searched) seem to have dropped. It looks like a large number of these went from "inactive" to "active" in my accounts.
    I have never even thought of bidding on UPC codes before this. You learn something new everyday.

new client i have, am finishing building out his ppc... 4,000+ keywords, 100's of ads, several dozen main ad groups... only 7 keywords marked as "Ok", all other marked as "Great". Of those 7 Ok's, 5 have min bid of $0.06 or less (I'm bidding 5x over that). Two Ok's are at 0.15 (Google doesn't understand the keywords meaning because it's unusual, but I've picked people out of SAS last clicked link using it this way, so I grabbed it) and I'm bidding over 3x that. Inspected all I do this afternoon and it's smooth sailing similar to this relatively new campaign everywhere. No "Poor" rankings anywhere and my min bids are sick low. Happy about that.

Nicely done DNuts!! You make me

Mine all say "great".

Great for who? Me or Google?

Internet Cowboy
    Mostly Great and OK here. Minimum bid doesn't change much from Great to OK though. I have a few domains they don't like but overall pretty cool.

ABW Ambassador
    So far so good. I hope I don't see any $10 - $15 per pid nonsense.

All greats, few oks, and poors for the inactive campaigns right now. Curious as to what's planning to happen soon, with everything marked "Great" - might make Google start changing things around again... nooooo

ABW Ambassador
    Ah nice:

"It's been rolled out already, you have to go to keyword tab, click on customize columns, see the "Show Quality Score" choice, click it."

I have some Great at 2 and 3 cents Few months ago it was $10.

Bidding on UPCs as keywords
    bizzer wrote: > "I have never even thought of bidding on UPC codes before this. You learn something new every day." <

Oops.

Maybe that was a trade secret I shouldn't have shared. But while I'm at it, let me share a little bit more insight on this topic.

As I noted, the volume is very, very low for UPC -- even lower than for ISBN, which is already pretty low volume.

I have had entire whole AdWords accounts (25 campaigns x 100 ad groups) where I'd have 2,500 UPCs as keywords (one per product ad group), but all those terms combined would see only a dozen searches per day, and only a few clicks per week TOTAL, perhaps driving one sale per month. (Of course, the UPC is just one keyword of many under each ad group.)

For most product categories, the ROI on those rare UPC-search clicks can be nice if you have low prices, and horribly negative if you aren't price-competitive, lack inventory, or can't promise rapid shipment.

Apart from your competitors, the people who search for UPCs are (a) searching for the best price, or (b) can't find the item in stock anywhere, or (c) can't find a merchant who can delivery quickly enough. This makes it a challenge to do "affiliate-side" PPC bidding based on UPCs: if you can't pause an ad when the item "falls out of stock" at your merchant, you'll see a spike in searches and clicks at the "worst time," just when the item is NOT available.

Another warning: beware of using "content bids" for ad groups that include UPC keywords (or SKUs or product names, for that matter), because your ad may end up appearing on (and subsidizing) other affiliates' "thin affiliate" sites, where the ROI is rarely positive, even with 1-cent bids.

ABW Ambassador
    "Curious as to what's planning to happen soon, with everything marked "Great" - might make Google start changing things around again... nooooo"

Yeah, if I see my 2, 3 cent+ bids that are labeled as Great go up to $10, I'll

> "Curious as to what's planning to happen soon, with everything marked "Great" - might make Google start changing things around again." <

Yes, now that Donuts told us how to add the quality score, I am seeing about 90% "Great" and 10% "OK" quality scores -- I've actually been trying to find any other value in any of my accounts (and my clients'), without success.

Outsourced Program Manager
    Great thread, thanks for sharing guys. I've always wondered how I was doing with my quality score. It's nice to know. I'll tell you though, I always figured it would be a little more involved than Great, OK, Poor. I guess the man behind the curtain isn't always as spectacular once you see him.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast