Trying again
    I asked this question once, and no one answered, so here it is again:

If I have accounts with both Amazon USA and Amazon UK, and someone from the UK clicks my Amazon US link, but buys from Amazon UK, do I get a commission?

never experience this before, better send an email to amazon associates department.

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by Americannj
    If I have accounts with both Amazon USA and Amazon UK, and someone from the UK clicks my Amazon US link, but buys from Amazon UK, do I get a commission?
    somehow I have my doubts. I remember the problem with orders between the US and Canadian links.

probably better to just work on good traffic and not worry about it. making the sites more country-centric will probably help.

Very clear: You will ONLY be paid if someone buys from the site that your link sent them to. Amazon does not "link" your affiliate accounts in any way, because they operate the sites as completely separate entities. (I understand why Amazon has partitioned these divisions so completely -- to deal with both US and EU taxes and regulations.)

If a customer clicks on your link to Amazon.com and buy from amazon.co.uk, you don't get any commission. If someone clicks on your link to amazon.co.uk and end up buying from Amazon.com, you get no commission. If they click on your link to amazon.ca and buy from amazon.com, you get no commission; if they click on your link to amazon.com and buy from amazon.ca, you get no commission.

I experimented with adding .ca and .uk links to my site, and generated very low levels of clicks -- most Canadian and UK visitors still clicked on the Amazon.com links. I had only a handful of amazon.ca or amazon.co.uk sales, and I'll never even get paid the meager amounts I earned, since I removed the non-US links in September.

The system is flawed, in my opinion, but I doubt my "losses" to this cross-pattern are greater than 3% of earnings.

Hi Mark and Herb:
    Thanks for the comments. But I wonder why you think your losses are less than 3% Marc? Herb why you think it is best not to worry about it?

The web is called world wide for a reason. All of my websites get traffic from everywhere, don't yours? Nearly 50% of my traffic is from outside of the USA, so I expect that losses could be around 25%. So, why shouldn't Amazon be paying commission on every sale that a website generates? It seems like it is a disadvantage to affilate with a company that has international websites like Amazon, unless commissions are paid for every sale generated.

I would appreciate it if Gene Kavner would comment.

I'm not sure I understand what you're describing: a customer follows your link to amazon.com and then somehow moves over to amazon.co.uk or whatever to make their purchase. How do they move over?

Buying from Amazon in Europe
    Hi Mike:

It is a bit complicated to explain, but really very simple.

If I am in Germany and log onto Amazon.com, at the top of the page, I see (below an Icon of a German flag and written in German)...Shopping in Germany? Visit Amazon.de

If I click that, I am moved to Amazon Germany website. Of course I will buy my products from Amazon Germany, as it will be shipped from Germany. Same happens if I are in the UK, France, etc.

This means that if a European resident clicks on your Amazon.com link and buys from a European Amazon website, you get no commission.

Now, Amazon's response is that you can accounts in Germany, UK and the rest of the world. But then you have to have links for every individual market and ask people to click the correct link....that is not going to work. Others say, develop your website for a particular market...also not realistic.

Result: Amazon gets a ton of traffic to its European websites for FREE! Is that fair?

Ah, I understand now.

A previous poster explained Amazon's reasoning, though the effect on you is indeed not good.

Now, if Amazon can tell that a user is coming from a specific country, then maybe you can, too. That way, you could do that branching before the user ever gets to amazon.com and instead send them to the relevant country site.

?
    I dont think that Amazon has any reason for it, other than: why should they pay for something that they can get for free?

This will last until a competitor comes round who will offer payment for all of worldwide traffic. Then, I am sure, Amazon will do so as well.

But I can not imagine how I can set up a system to detect where my visitor is coming from, then offer them the Amazon link for their country....sounds too advanced for me.

Here's the previous explanation I was referring to about Amazon's good reason, in addition to the unfortunate effect it has on you:
    Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    Amazon does not "link" your affiliate accounts in any way, because they operate the sites as completely separate entities. (I understand why Amazon has partitioned these divisions so completely -- to deal with both US and EU taxes and regulations.)
    I wouldn't give up. Try a search for identifying IP by country, etc., and you might come up with something that you could either implement yourself or get someone to do for you (or buy a ready solution, if there is one). If Amazon is doing it, you can, too!

"In addition to the unfortunate effect it has on you"

On me? Doesn't this have an unfortunate effect on every Amazon affiliate? I am surprised that Mark Welsh says "I doubt my "losses" to this cross-pattern are greater than 3% of earnings."...I have several websites and they all get lots of European traffic. Europeans buy stuff too. I suspect losses are huge and am surprised that most people here don't seem to be very concerned about this.

Well, not every Amazon affiliate, but of course, you're correct that it affects those affiliates whose sites are .com but have significant traffic coming from the other countries where Amazon does business.

Now, how to solve the problem? I have no idea what solution might be out there, but I could imagine identifying the country by IP and then using a .htaccess redirect to the relevant Amazon link, or via PHP.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread