golencan datafeed
    What is the value in going with Goldencan? as a merchant I have a datafeed available on SAS but it seems several merchants use Goldencan instead of the SAS datafeed option. I have looked at Goldencan's site and their datafeed options but still don't understand why a merchant would use Goldencan when SAS has a datafeed option.

Moved the thread --- I'm sure Asif doesn't have a problem with this being discussed in the GC section and more actual GC members can provide input.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by rcampbell
    What is the value in going with Goldencan? as a merchant I have a datafeed available on SAS but it seems several merchants use Goldencan instead of the SAS datafeed option. I have looked at Goldencan's site and their datafeed options but still don't understand why a merchant would use Goldencan when SAS has a datafeed option.
    I'm not a programmer. This is one way I can make a whole dynamic site (or just a portion like one category) out of a datafeed in such a way that the search engines can find it and it will refresh soon after the merchant provides a refreshed copy to GoldenCAN.

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    I'm not a programmer. This is one way I can make a whole dynamic site (or just a portion like one category) out of a datafeed in such a way that the search engines can find it and it will refresh soon after the merchant provides a refreshed copy to GoldenCAN.

This is the best reason. A lot of us are not proficient with datafeeds. GC gives us another tool to work with without investing a lot of time in a learning curve.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

I'm not a merchant, but I would think that if a merchant that have a datafeed available, also provides a good tool like GoldenCan for the affiliates that want to use GoldenCan, maybe that merchant would have the chance of making more money, because then all of those products on the datafeed will be promoted to many more people on the net.

I don't know how much it will cost the merchant in order to have the GoldenCan tool available, but I know that some merchants may have to pay something to GoldenCan in order to give the affiliates the tool with all the clicks going to the affiliates. As for the one on were the affiliates have to give the 4th click to GoldenCan, I don't now if that one is free to the merchants, or if the merchant still have to pay some small monthly fee for it. I guess that Asif is the only one who can answer about that.

-------------------

As an affiliate:

I first used WebMerge to learn how to use datafeeds, then after I tried GoldenCan once, I started to use GoldenCan for some merchants.

Now that I have learned PHP and MySQL, I use what I have learned to do most of my datafeed sites. But I still use WebMerge, and I still use GoldenCan on sites that for now, I can't or I won't use PHP.

Now that I have many options, and now that I can roll my own tool to work with practically any datafeed, I really don't worry too much about any new, or old datafeed tool that any one of my merchants may have available for datafeeds but, I do remember the past, so I know that any extra tools that a merchant provides for the affiliates that want to use their datafeed, not only benefits the affiliates, but the merchant too.

Here are some of the reason I can see for using GoldenCan:

An affiliate:
    ...may not know how to use a datafeed.
    ...is afraid that they may mess up their working website, if they start uploading new scripts to it.
    ...don't have the time to learn PHP, or any other programming language.
    ...don't want to add thousand's of static pages to their site.
    ...may not want to waste time dealing with datafeed updates.
    ...don't want to add about a dozen dynamic pages to display thousand's of products, because it can be done with just one line of code.
    ...may have a lot of targeted visitors and would like to showcase a table with updated products, but may not want to deal with the task of handling any datafeed themselves.

...etc, etc.

The way I see it, if other merchants provide the GoldenCan tool to their affiliates, whether the merchant pays for the 4th click, or the affiliate lose the 4th click to GoldenCan is not the point. The point is, that if you are selling the same products that other merchants are selling, but they provide the tool and you don't, well, depending on your prices other factors, you may lose some affiliates to your competitions, or maybe not.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    mr sal hit it on the head.
    It is easy for affiliates to use, just pull code and plug it on the site. No Php or aspx programming req

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    The point is, that if you are selling the same products that other merchants are selling, but they provide the tool and you don't, well, depending on your prices other factors, you may lose some affiliates to your competitions, or maybe not.
    That is the probably one of the most important points and reason for merchants to partner with GC, either FREE version or 4th click version.

I agree with everything above - and Mr Sal did hit it exactly right. I advise every merchant that I want to seriously promote to use Goldencan and participate in all the available options - coupon, search, get data, etc.

Why?

When I find the time to look for new merchants to add, it's because one of 2 things happened:

1. They show up on Asif's Goldencan list or
    2. I've met them, liked them, trusted them and decided to try and convince them to use Goldencan.

Goldencan makes it easier for me to make sales. When I see that a SAS merchant has a datafeed, I immediately check Asif's list to see if they are serious about helping me make money.

makes sense. Goldencan seems like a great tool for affiliates. Thanks for clarifying that. Do affiliates have any concerns with the 4th click option available on Goldencan?

Lightbulb
    makes sense. Goldencan seems like a great tool for affiliates. Thanks for clarifying that. Do affiliates have any concerns with the 4th click option available on Goldencan?
    only that I think we're all hoping for 4th-click merchants to gain enough ROI and respect for the method to eventually subsidize their involvement.

I don't think anyone (even Asif) would recommend a merchant going with GoldenCAN instead of a SAS datafeed. It's in addition to the network datafeed. GoldenCAN appeals to a much wider group of people, who either don't have the technical skills or choose not to take the time to keep on top of datafeeds. By inserting a single line of JavaScript on a page, they're able to tap into a merchant's datafeed and keep everything up to date automatically.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    No concerns at all. Asif is one of the best. To reiterate what's already been said, GoldenCAN is a great tool for affiliates that don't have programming experience (like me!).

Re: 4th click. I choose from the free ones first, 4th click ones if I really need the merchant or the product or the category.

The cost of providing it for free should be compared to spending bucks to advertise in media that you can't measure - newspapers, radio, TV all cost money and you can only guess at the effectivenes. Providing tools for the publishers who are willing to promote and get paid only for performance is just a line item expense.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I don't think anyone (even Asif) would recommend a merchant going with GoldenCAN instead of a SAS datafeed. It's in addition to the network datafeed.
    This is right on. Actually, the merchant only has to manage one datafeed, the network datafeed. Then, GoldenCAN signs up as an affiliate and gets the datafeed directly and adds it to their system, so it's seamless.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread