Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dire animal situation in Las Vegas
    Hey everyone,

We have an urgent pet situation here in Las Vegas - one of our main shelters has just gone from low kill to high kill. This is due to an outbreak of parvovirus and some other nasty stuff which is due to mismanagement of the facility. The name of the facility is Lied Animal Foundation.

Anyway, it's a really horrible situation and they've killed over a thousand animals this week alone - including the healthy ones. Once an animal is admitted (stray OR owner surrender) the clock starts ticking and animal has 72 hours left to live. It's a mess.

With a tremendous amount of last minute help from Loxly (TY so much Loxly, you're great), I've created a site which I hope will drive some donations to Southern Nevada SPCA. This organization is doing their best to absorb the overflow from Lied.

The site is www.thebloggydoggy.com. (One day I hope to turn it into my first affiliate site, but that will have to wait until these animals are safe!) If you'd be willing to forward the site to those you know or donate whatever you can, even $5, the entire Las Vegas companion animal community would thank you from the bottom of our collective heart. Thanks so much!

I'm off to pick up old spinach from Whole Foods. There are 260 stranded rabbits at SPCA that need a snack!

-Joe

P.S. I've rescued a two strays, one from Lied and one from SPCA and they've changed my life. They're both pictured on the site.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

UPDATE:

My bouvier, Ernie, will be getting his therapy dog certification in the next two months and I'd like to make the following commitment: To anyone who donates at least $50 to this cause, Ernie and I will spend a session at the Vegas-area non-profit of your choice, in your honor. This will include a certificate of appreciation and a commemorative photo (if the facility allows photos).

I'll email a list of facilities just as soon as Ernie completes testing.

SPCA's paypal link doesn't have any kind of tracking set up so this will be on the honor system. Just email me with your payment amount and I will arrange the session for late spring/early summer.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

http and a telephoto
    Joe contacted me about this this morning and being the animal lover I am, and former avian rescuer, I had to help. And I am pledging to go with Joe and Ernie to capture the sessions on film. A portion of the revenue from my sites that are linked to from The Bloggy Doggy will be going to the SPCA.

(Calling my daughter and asking her to give my cats an extra hug each tonight)

Thats so sad all those animals having to be put down. Just pisses me off these people who bolt on their responsibility as owners. I bet the problem is high in this town with all the people who migrate out of here ect.

I've sent in a donation via the paypal option on the site your blog links to. My Gizzmo (my avatar) was purring beside me ... maybe he understood it was to help other cats that are not so spoilt as mine are.

Sue.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    OMG this is so freaking sad.

Do you know about www.dogster.com? If you start a profile for your dog/s there I can help you get the word out to the members of Dogster. (Both our dogs have profiles there.)

Dogster is very easy to use and get a profile up and running quickly. They have a sister site for cats which is http://www.catster.com/.

Quote Originally Posted by dsteitz
    Thats so sad all those animals having to be put down. Just pisses me off these people who bolt on their responsibility as owners. I bet the problem is high in this town with all the people who migrate out of here ect.
    There's also a big dog fighting problem out here, unfortunately. Lots of dogs bred as fighters or bait....
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

Quote Originally Posted by Staril
    I've sent in a donation via the paypal option on the site your blog links to. My Gizzmo (my avatar) was purring beside me ... maybe he understood it was to help other cats that are not so spoilt as mine are.

Sue.
    Thanks Sue!
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea

Do you know about www.dogster.com? If you start a profile for your dog/s there I can help you get the word out to the members of Dogster. (Both our dogs have profiles there.)

Dogster is very easy to use and get a profile up and running quickly. They have a sister site for cats which is http://www.catster.com/.
    Rhea I will take you up on that this weekend. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

Quote Originally Posted by dsteitz
    My wife and I have been spending countless hours helping my brother-in-law's horse rescue ranch here in Colorado. It's sad here, too. Due the the past few years of drought the price of hay has gone up dramatically.

Lots of people are selling off their horses at auctions because they can't afford to feed them. Many good horses are being sold by the pound. That means they are headed for the dog food factories. To further complicate the situation the recent blizzards have caused lots of livestock feed to be shipped to the most affected areas making hay even more scarce. So, I contibuted half of my '06 AM earnings and we bought a single axle semi with 48 foot trailer to haul hay in from Montana.

We bring the horses back to good health and sell them at cost plus the price of the feed. My wife bought me an awsome horse for Christmas that has the US government freeze brand. Since it is illegal to slaughter wild mustangs with this brand he would have been shipped to Mexico illegally.
    ~Ernie

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Joe, I posted a notice in the Dogster forums about the situation at Lied with a link to the Nevada SPCA web site. I've asked for someone with a Catster account to cross-post the message in the Catster forums. (I can't do it coz I don't have a cat so I don't have a Catster account.)

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Shelte.../thread/383764

Let me know when you get your dogs added to Dogster and we can have our dogs be pup pals.

Thanks for letting us all know about the situation at Lied.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Joe - I'm in for a donation. As you know, in 1986 I introduced toll free / data based pet ID tags with an 800 recovery service. Approximately 20,000,000 animals are euthanized every year and that's not including 6+ million who are killed annually as a result of being away from home. Through the ID tag / recovery service we were able to recover more than 165,000 pets and reunite them with their owners. I loved that business, but after 18 years it was time to move on. But animals are still one of my favorite things in life, so count me in.

Let's please ALL get behind this with donations of any amount and Joe, thanks for starting the effort!!

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    Joe - I'm in for a donation. As you know, in 1986 I introduced toll free / data based pet ID tags with an 800 recovery service. Approximately 20,000,000 animals are euthanized every year and that's not including 6+ million who are killed annually as a result of being away from home. Through the ID tag / recovery service we were able to recover more than 165,000 pets and reunite them with their owners. I loved that business, but after 18 years it was time to move on. But animals are still one of my favorite things in life, so count me in.

Let's please ALL get behind this with donations of any amount and Joe, thanks for starting the effort!!

Alan
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

ABW Ambassador
    This is now a Top Story on cnn.com.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/16/she....ap/index.html

Sad.

My $100 have just been PayPal-ed to Nevada SPCA.

Thank you, Joe. You have a kind heart.

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Sad.

My $100 have just been PayPal-ed to Nevada SPCA.

Thank you, Joe. You have a kind heart.

Geno
    Ernie says thanks. Look how happy you just made him!
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

Any time...

[I am not sure you know this, but my own dog, Teddy (the cutest Bull Terrier in the whole world) died around half a year ago. Big loss. Many memories. Anyway... I love dogs.]

Popped link on my blog... Will donate ASAP.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    Popped link on my blog... Will donate ASAP.
    Thanks Noth!!!!
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

http and a telephoto
    We are setting up an affiliate section on thebloggydoggy this where the commissions will go to the SPCA, so if you are on SAS and have animal products (Joe wants to feature dogs obviously, but some cat stuff would be nice) and want us to feature you quickly, pm or email ME (not Joe ) your direct links, template pages to doggy stuff. CafePress and ImageKind folks, I know where your stuff is, but you can email me links or tags to search for anyways
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    We are setting up an affiliate section on thebloggydoggy this where the commissions will go to the SPCA, so if you are on SAS and have animal products (Joe wants to feature dogs obviously, but some cat stuff would be nice) and want us to feature you quickly, pm or email ME (not Joe ) your direct links, template pages to doggy stuff. CafePress and ImageKind folks, I know where your stuff is, but you can email me links or tags to search for anyways
    There are a lot of rabbits being compromised by this situation, as well as guinea pigs. (I'm OMW to drop off rabbit food at lunch).

So I'd love to see anything pet related. I'm just partial to dogs because of the big E.

-Joe
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea

Ernies dogster site is up Rhea. He's dogster number 480672
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

I just adopted my dog (will show pictures later) a couple of months ago. Poor thing had giardia, and was leaning against the cage with the most pitiful blue eyes (husky shepherd mix). Needless to say, she is now my child!

Anyway, just donated a few bucks. Hope it helps our furry friends..

edit:

By the way, I've passed the story along to a very well known blog, for a small post possibly (would get a lot of good attention). We'll see how it turns out.
    Last edited by MoneyBusiness; February 16th, 2007 at 02:43 PM.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    OMG this is horrible.

I know some animal resue people online who will for sure get involved. Gonna email them the link now and certainly make a donation.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

http and a telephoto
    A few folks from some other lists I am on are posting to blogs too, that is an awesome way to help

Thanks also to the merchants that are already working with us
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast