Canadienne extraordinaire Susan's Avatar
    Cool Deep Sea Fishing advice
    Well, let me expand on the title a bit and give you some context, considering I'm way up there in the Great White North (hoser territory) and you're probably wondering where the heck our 'seas' are to do some fishing in!

I've been saving up for quite some time to actually go some place 'hot' during Spring Break. My son and I are heading to St. Lucia (my daughter decided that Cocoa Beach is a far better destination and is participating in that school trip instead!).

One of the things we both wanted to do was partake in some deep sea fishing with a local operator. Elliot and I are big fishers here at home and the thought of doing something like this, well, is pretty darned exciting!!!

Has anyone every done this and is there anything I need to be wary of? Elliot is 11 and about 70 lbs (I have visions of him getting yanked out of his seat with a big catch). Is there anything to be wary of when deciding on the right fishing operator?

Am open to all types of suggestions and if we catch anything (even if we don't), I'll be sure to post pics and share it all with you ;-)
    Susan Arts
    Senior Vice President, Marketing
    Moxy Media

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Not to worry my friend from the north. If you look into the guided fishing charters available, you will find many qualified / licensed guides in the St. Lucia area. Here's one for you to check out and there are many many others.

http://www.charternet.com/fishers/windwards.html

As for getting yanked out of th boat, not a problem. The guides know what they are doing so no worries eh!!

Enjoy your St. Lucia adventure. You and your son will love the fishing down there. Be sure to post pics when you get back. Love to see that 11 year old with a big smile as he hoists a trophy with mom. Of course, after the picture, it's always nice to return the trophy to the water to be enjoyed another time by another angler. Have a ball!!
    Last edited by ALH - AmeritrustRx; February 16th, 2007 at 10:40 AM.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

ABW Ambassador

Don't forget your sea sick remedies. I spent a whole summer on the Gulf chasing snapper and got pretty darn queasy at times.

Back in the early days of deep sea fishing, we used to take dramamine (for sea sickness) just to be on the safe side. It works great. However, after just a few trips, we quickly realized we really didn't need it. Be warned though, it'll put you to sleep (especially on the ride out).

However you do it, just make sure you don't get sick. I felt so sorry for some of the fellas (and ladies) who could do nothing but hurl over the handrails the entire trip. Talk about fun!

If you're planning on keeping your catch, better bring a big cooler. Most of our trips here on the east coast of North Carolina, there was rarely a day where we didn't fill up a couple monster coolers, with everything from: red snapper, triggerfish, grouper, king mackerel, and plenty more.

Either way, good luck! Reel a monster in..

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ward
    omigod! Did you look at the videos of some of the fish they've reeled in? It actually is dragging the boat around!!!!

Wow, that would be so cool if we could experience that . And Elliot and I always are 'catch and release' type of fishers...I wouldn't want to think about the 'extra' weight charges if we were to bring back anything THAT size ;-)

Thanks for the links guys, we'll be sure to post pics...I'm getting soooo excited about this now :-)
    Susan Arts
    Moxy Media

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    UUhhhhhhh OOHhhhhhhh, Almost forgot the most, I say MOST important thing to have when fishing St. Lucia..............

Sun Screen

Being as you are Canadian, a 2,000 SPF would be about right!!

Alan Hamilton - BTW, did I mention that I am running for Best New ABW Member 2006?
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I just picked up a whack of sunscreen, along with gravol and immodium...ooops too much info there I guess!
    Susan Arts
    Moxy Media

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread