Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    TRUSTe and Zango
    Interesting snipit today on TRUSTe "white listing" WhenU (don't get me started) but giving Zango the boot (thankfully).

http://publications.mediapost.com/in...27528&p=396293
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Don't get me going about that whole TRUSTe certification program. Read the last 4 paragraphs the MediaPost article. And there ya go. TRUSTe said the same in their own press release minus the quotes from WhenU.

Also from looking at the agreement forms on the TRUSTe site last night, it appears that during this "beta" period in the certification, part of the costs for certification process (normally paid in full by the one requesting certification) has been paid by the Sponors. That would be AOL, Verizon, Microsoft, Yahoo, CA (you know the antispyware stuff from eTrust), and CNet.

And I really laughed when I went the Vomba web site (a pop-up app bundled with freeware) and there's prominent message on the front page saying how their stuff is Ad Supported and a More Details button. Only the whole thing is just a graphic without any linking. Click to the cows come home, but there's no More Details to be had, at least from there.

And this isn't me getting going. This is me seriously biting my tongue.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    The links / info you need are all on Kellie's blog here:
    http://affiliatefairplay.com/newsblo...list/#comments

TRUSTe is too slow (see links to posts at revenews by wayne porter) and to accomodating to download (see partial list of their certified download partners) bho types, consumers will grow to disTRUST them.

Somebody else needs to displace them by doing better - they aren't doing consumers justice with their choices, implementation speed, and approach that only looks at certain piecemeal aspects of these download ad players while ignoring other aspects (like saying the unabomber / theodore kaczynski could cook a good omelet).

Snaps for downloads.com. Way to stick to your guns!

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    And so it starts, with them being legitimate.

With more and more adware companies finding themselves, and the brands that they represent in the middle of lawsuits this service will prove more valuable in months to come in legitimizing their businesses.
    So what does Partner Centric mean by this? Do they feel WhenU is now legitimate because of the TRUSTe whitelist? Is the TRUSTe certification enough to say a company is ok within the affiliate marketing channel? Is any consideration given to how the adware is actually delivering ads and generating revenue?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    If you read Mike O's post there at Partner Centric link you provided (minus the spaces), he also makes the point that companies involved in lawsuits are likely to use this certification to defend themselves in court when caught using adware.

Who knows where he stands, he doesn't seem to say directly. I guess he thinks he's just an objective reporter detached from the actual involvement of it?

(that's not really a question, it's rhetorical commentary given the lineup of BHO's within PC's programs.)

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread