Other "Must Read" Threads for Merchants
    I know that there are other threads here on ABestWeb.com that "must read" threads for merchants. Some of the topics will surely be covered in more detail here in the future, but in the meantime, drop a link and a short synopsis here to any threads elsewhere on ABW that aren't covered here in the Merchant Best Practices forum.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

As Affiliate I Hate...
    Hundreds of posts from affiliates about things they hate. Read through this carefully, and make sure you're not making any of these mistakes.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Two threads for merchants who want to work with coupon sites:

Couponing Tips for Merchants
    A collection of tips about how to work best with coupon sites.

Merchants: Why Your Coupon/Promotion Didn't Get Added
    This covers the flip side, explaining some of the most common reasons that coupons or promotions don't get promoted by coupon affiliates.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Not just a thread, but a whole book...

A Practical Guide to Affiliate Marketing
    Everything you need to know about launching and running an affiliate program, with hundreds of questions answered and dozens of promotion tips.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Define a leak :)
    Leaks have a negative impact on your affiliate program. Make sure to read through this thread so you understand what leaks are and how they affect your affiliates.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

What incentives do affiliates most want to see?
    Lots of different ideas for activation campaigns! Learn how to get your affiliates active.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Merchants Allowing, Restricting, or Barring PPC Bidding
    Great new thread discussing PPC options for merchants. Different policies will make sense for different merchants. For some, it's best to let affiliates have open reign with PPC. For many, it's best to have a small number of restrictions for PPC affiliates. For some, it might make sense to completely prohibit PPC.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

In reply to "Define a leak" post...
    Hi- sorry to post this here but the "Define a Leak" thread is closed...

I realize that the posts on that thread were specific to CafePress but many of them seemed to contain general guidelines for avoiding affiliate program mistakes. Reading the posts there made me wonder- what if, as part of his or her affiliate program, a merchant offered a percentage of any affiliate commissions they make to their own affiliate program...?

For example, though I do not run an affiliate website, I do have Google AdSense bars on a few pages and I do have a few outside products that I promote that I feel are relevant to my own business. The "Define a Leak" forum states that potential affiliates would find a merchant site with such items unattractive because it represents commissions that they are not earning; that in fact they would be helping the merchant to earn by driving customers to the merchant site.

But what if, as part of my affiliate program, I offered a percentage of those commissions to my affiliates as well as the standard commission they'd earn for promoting my products?

Has this ever been done before? Is it even feasible? It seems like a good idea to me but I have just started learning about affiliate marketing so I could be way off base.

What do you all think...?

Mara Yoresh
    Founder, MD Corp

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread