Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Anyone else getting this stuff lately?
    For the past few months I've noticed that I'm getting regular identity theft emails targeting me with notices of problems, security breach, update requests, security confirmations etc etc. PayPal, eBay and several others. Then today I got the one (excerpts) below.

We recently noticed one or more attempts to log in your Chase account from a foreign IP address and we have reasons to believe that your account was hijacked by a third party without your authorization. If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the log in attempts may have initiated by you.

However if you are the rightful holder of the account, click on the link below and submit, as we try to verify your account.

The log in attempt was made from: naga naga naga.

For anyone who may not already know, NEVER respond to these online requests through the internet.

It is easy enough to identify the URLs they always try to send you too. If you are in doubt, or have ANY hesitation at all, CALL the referenced business.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I get them all the time for pay pal. I sent them to their spoof dept at first (WITHOUT CLICKING ON THE LINK) to see if they were from them. They are not! So now I just ignore them.

never ever click on the link they provide to try and login.....this is how they get your information.
    Sandra Martin
    sandeebottom at hotmail.com

Internet Cowboy
    I get those for paypal and for every bank and credit card under the sun. I get no less than 40 of these a day. Fortunately they all go straight to my SPAM box.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I used to have Earthlink for my ISP and a few years ago the first one of these I ever saw was from "Earthlink" saying I had to click on the link to resolve a problem with my payment status (my monthly payment had been processed a week earlier). When I saw this, I telephoned Earthlink and they didn't know what I was talking about. But, a few days later I received the first of many email warnings from Earthlink not to respond to these messages that were not from Earthlink.

Now I also receive 30-40 per day, mostly from "Paypal", "Chase", and something called "Fifth Third Bank" (is that a real bank?)

Internet Cowboy
    Yes, Fifth Third is a real bank. They are all over Florida. I get those too.

Yes, Fifth Third is a real bank. They are all over Florida.
    Ok, good to know.

The last time I was in Florida was 1989.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I don't get too many of those, but one eBay phisher found a mostly spam-free email address of mine, and decided it'd be a good idea to hit it daily with spoofs claiming that a customer had left a question. Since I was getting one a day, like clockwork, I realized that it must all be coming from the same idiot.

The other day I finally got irritated enough that I sent it to eBay's spoof address in the hopes that they would shut him/her down. It worked...no phishing emails to that address today!

On another note-- Fifth Third is in MI, too.

The other day I finally got irritated enough that I sent it to eBay's spoof address in the hopes that they would shut him/her down. It worked...no phishing emails to that address today!
    Leader,

What is this address? I get these too, and I have searched unsuccessfully for some way to refer them back to eBay.

Getting a lot of those too, from banks I never did business with and the eBay ones too. Some of the eBay ones come as a "confirmation" of something I supposedly bought with, of course, a handy link to login and dispute the purchase. I'm getting about 10-15 a day of these.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rice
    Getting a lot of those too, from banks I never did business with and the eBay ones too. Some of the eBay ones come as a "confirmation" of something I supposedly bought with, of course, a handy link to login and dispute the purchase. I'm getting about 10-15 a day of these.
    My eBay spoofs are either "confirm a charge" or update information security. PayPal is he same, plus reports of suspicious activity.

I am so shut off and gun shy on these that recently when a shopping site sent me a legitimate request to update and fax to them, I refused for two weeks. Suddenly my store was down on their site. I called them only to learn that indeed it was from them!!

Sheesh!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Man...I've been sending those messages to y'all for months now and NOONE has bought it yet.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

Arrow
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Leader,

What is this address? I get these too, and I have searched unsuccessfully for some way to refer them back to eBay.
    spoof@ebay.com
    spoof@paypal.com
    stop-spoofing@amazon.com

I left the addys whole because those domains will probably be interested in the spam they get. [mods: If you disagree, please feel free to edit]

some ISPs allow abuse@_____.com in case of a Nigerian Scam email, but I think the world's ISPs have seen everything now.

Thanks for the info, Herb.

I now have a lot of emails to send out

Lightbulb
    forward the stuff, with the complete mail header at the beginning of the text area

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    i get a couple a day.

kind to think of it, they often use bank names in FL / East. Like Suntrust, Fairwind..

also get those palpay emails...can i say phising?

I got a new one today that was spoofing TurboTax. They were offering a free year of credit protection as a thank you for using TurboTax.

I checked. It wasn't from TurboTax.

It would be great to see some of the phishers get caught and spend some quality time with Bubba.
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Leader,

Sorry I missed that request. I see Herb gave you the addresses.

"spoof@ebay.com" has a requirement that you do not send the offending email as an attachment--just forward it. They also repeatedly state not to alter it in ANY way, so don't add any commentary. You just fwd it over to 'em, and they write back fairly quickly telling you that it wasn't really from them.

On the other hand, IIRC PayPal DOES want to get the forwarded emails sent as an attachment (they may have changed that, judging by eBay's statements...check their site to make sure).

I've never had any Amazon ones to send in, so I don't know how they like to get their reports.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

My first post as a Member

Thanks for the additional info, Leader

(Welcome to Membership)

YW. Happy forwarding!

It looks like I counted "my" spammer out too soon. I just got another one (after a day's break). He probably set up another account somewhere else. So I have another email to forward...and hopefully the spammer has to spend yet another day setting up a new account (and eventually, gets "free room and board" courtesy of the feds!).

I wish someone would steal my identity. Then I could go get a better one with the insurance money.

Trust me, Mack, you do NOT want anyone to steal your identity. No insurance will ever compensate you for the incredible hassle it can cause for years to come.

My wife manages an apartment complex, and about once a month she has to reject an applicant who has been unable to clean up damage from identity theft.

These people end up moving to lower-quality, less safe, higher-priced apartments. They can't use regular cell phones, but have to use prepaid. When they move, it takes many days or weeks to get their utilities turned on. They often have no choice but to give up using credit cards. If they want to buy a house or a car, it may take dozens of hours of extra work to clear up the "identity theft" issues -- and the same hassle re-occurs with each and every situation. Homeowners may find it impossible to refinance their homes, or they may need to pay higher interest rates.

It's interesting how easy it is to "tune out" the phishing emails when they name a bank we don't use, and yet when we get the same email with OUR bank listed as the sender, it somehow feels "different" and "worse." I probaby get a dozen of these per day, and maybe twice a month my bank is listed as the sender.

Some good points Mark, and certainly the reality. When it comes to these phishing matters, I use the Murphy's Law philosophy, so my wife, sons and I are ALWAYS reminding each other that no matter HOW legitimate one of these things may "look" ALWAYS consider it fraudulent and NEVER offer information they request. If indeed, it really IS your bank and really IS a request from them, ALWAYS verify this by calling YOUR bank at the number YOU have on file (not some number or support link provided in such mails).

Safety and common sense are the best discretion on all of these things even when it is not "convenient" to pick up the phone and call. Please, please gang, protect your credit rating, credit cards, bank or stock accounts, drivers license, SSN etc information at all times lest you become one of the people Mark mentions here.

Alan

ALH - AmeritrustRx wrote:

ALWAYS consider it fraudulent and NEVER offer information they request. If indeed, it really IS your bank and really IS a request from them, ALWAYS verify this by calling YOUR bank at the number YOU have on file (not some number or support link provided in such mails).

Safety and common sense are the best discretion on all of these things even when it is not "convenient" to pick up the phone and call. Please, please gang, protect your credit rating, credit cards, bank or stock accounts, drivers license, SSN etc information at all times lest you become one of the people Mark mentions here.
    Words to Live By

OMG!! Dumb AND Crooked!
    I took Ellen over to the wharf to a coffee shop we like to have a latte and enjoy the water. Picked up the Charlotte County newspaper and like a sore thumb, here was this article about a County Treasurer in (I believe it was) Alcona County Michigan who is behind bars pending charges of embezzling 1.2 or 1.6 million in county funds.

ON top of being a crook who stole from his community, this DUMB and Dumber runner up LOST the money by investing it in some Nigerian investment scams!! Can you believe that?

Just thought in light of the subject matter of identity theft that this was ironic to see today....

I think paypal phishing email received by almost everybody by now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast