Twice today I got this XUPITER crap installed on one of my computers!! I think it auto installs itself and its a pain to get rid of! It is some kind of toolbar..I believe its a valueclick merchant doing it! Anyone else see this? Know about this? Know what it is?

A smile is the best anti-depressant

I got it by a drive-by download from another ABW member's website [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]. I don't know much about it - Haiko is looking into it- but it was a PITA to get rid of. What I ended up having to do was a)run AdAware b)run msconfig and uncheck the box for Xupiter in the startup tab and c) deleted the Xupiter directory from my hard drive.

{

"Laziness, Impatience, Hubris. Pick any three" ~ YAPC 19100

You might want to check your browser settings to make sure they're set to ask first before downloading anything.

I get download attempts all the time it seems, but I can always stop them (AND LEAVE THE SITE!) before anything is downloaded.

It is a major pain to get rid of some of them, seems they have a lot of fingers that get into EVERYTHING! I also have E-mailed the Webmaster letting them know I don't appreciate what they've done, and that I will make sure to tell everyone to AVOID their site.

Andy

Xupiter consists of an Internet Explorer toolbar containing link buttons to the search engine at xupiter.com and a task run at Windows startup which downloads updates to the software and may launch pop-ups. It also contains functionality to periodically hijack your home page and search settings to point to xupiter.com, and add links pointing to xupiter.com to your bookmarks.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

[This message was edited by Haiko on September 13, 2002 at 09:08 PM.]

Anyone with this crap on their computer go to www.parasiteware.com and tell me what it detects.

</font></p>

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Is Wurld Media/Morpheus/Buyersport rearing their ugly heads again Haiko. Thought Looksmart catered to the parasites but seems that wasn't enough..they want their own search database. Next comes the spam to offer cheap PPC listings as they devise alliances with shady web site owners for driveby installs.

BeFree -LS and hopefully CJ will cut the rug out from under all of them.

WebMaster Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eaglefire:
    I got it by a drive-by download from another ABW member's website [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Well you should let that person know by pm, they may or may not know it's happening, and I would be curious since I run some valueclick ads myself, I can turn those off if I knew which ones were doing it.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    qball:

eaglefire did let the other ABW know about here Apparently it was coming from a hosting ad from a free server, so they didn't know which ad either.

I wonder if xupiter is in adaware's ref file yet. Somewhere on the lavasoft site is an email contact where you can send them info about new programs which are suspicous for them to check out and add to the ref file. I see they have forums now too. It's been a bit since I actually went to the site.

Mike,

I made an error posting the tie into Wurldmedia / Morpheus, it is not confirmed. However, the connection between Morpheus and Lop.com is!

</font></p>

It hit me as well ... deleting the 'xupiter' directory from the 'Program Files' directory, and removing all references to 'xupiter' in the registry seems to have killed it .. I hope.

Sal @ PHATBargains.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Abstract

This standard specifies a set of practices and protocols meant to protect the relationship between affiliate partners and the merchants with which they work. This will require cooperation among affiliates and the producers of shopping plug-ins and will result in the predictable and equitable assignment of commissions and credit.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This will require cooperation among affiliates and the producers of shopping plug-ins...

Yah, Right

"I spent most of my money on
    Gambling, Whiskey and Women.
    The rest I just wasted."

Dr-Fix-It!

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread