More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Hosting A php-mysql database driven site
    I am looking into what will be needed to host a php-mysql data-base driven affiliate site. I would feature products (perhaps 1000's) loaded, sorted, etc from a mysql database on the server. I get the feeling that a low-priced shared hosting package will not handle this type of server traffic.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I wouldn't know why a low-priced shared hosting package wouldn't handle something that simple.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Exactly. This is something that is very easy and very inexpensive to host. Most Linux or Windows hosting plans handle this nowadays (yes folks - there is plenty of PHP on windows). This should not run you over $10 - $20 a month. Try NOT to go with the absolute cheapest plan you find (*cough* Godaddy ). And... if you eventually plan on doing more than one of these get yourself a reseller account right away. It will save you the heartache of moving later. I recommend HTTPme ($35/month) or FluidHosting. The cost may be a little high, but at the same time you can usually host 25+ sites on a reseller account with plenty of MySQL databases. And 25 sites for $35 a month is a steal.

You cannot beat the support at HTTPme. I recently needed ASP.NET hosting also so I had to move to FluidHosting - they do both. Stick to shared hosting for now and don't even look at a VPS or a dedicated machine. If your PHP work grows you can move that direction.

Good luck and ask away.
    Patrick
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

While I generally agree with what others are saying, do try to forecast your actual needs carefully, and be prepared for some surprises.

(1) Beware of response times on "oversold" servers. This includes the possibility that the MySQL server is over-capacity (actually not very likely), as well as the possibility that your server may not have adequate bandwidth for peak hours. (In some rare cases, the server may even be so old and slow that the CPU is overtaxed just by http: page requests.)

(2) Be aware of database file-size limits, especially if you are likely to go beyond "thousands" to "hundreds of thousands" of records. If you're not experienced at designing databases, you may waste a lot of space; the most obvious example would be to design a table with text fields that are all fixed at 255 characters, even though your actual data in that field averages 20 characters.

(3) Even if your storage space seems quite adequate, keep track of your "log files" (especially if your SQL scripts create their own log tiles).

For the web-page component of my current datafeed project, I've decided NOT to use dynamic pages drawn from the database, but instead to generate static web pages. That way, database response times won't be a factor (except during page-generation).

Personally, I use a dedicated server for most of my personal web sites, because I like having "complete" control. For 99% of webmasters, this is overkill -- I am probably not even using 1% of my server's capacity at peak usage times.

I've also had a recent bad experience with a cheapie web-hosting company (digidotz) -- when their server was hacked, it took about 3 days before it was back up. I had set up a site on that account which I'd expected to have trivial traffic, but somehow it became my number-one revenue-generator during this holiday season, so when it went offline, it was painful.

For my sites so far I have used Ipowerweb, Startlogic, dot5hosting, and more recently hostgator. All have worked fine since my bandwidth use is fairly low.

I see that httpme offers some pretty good tech support on scripts. The ones I have used offer virtually none - you are on your own. When you get add-on domains with httpme, are they actually their own directory, or a subdirectory? I am assuming the server is better able to handle scripts on httpme as well, right?
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Signing up a plan as an affiliate of a cheap web host (as long as such is in accordance with the affiliate agreement) could allow you to go online for just a couple of bucks for the next year. In general, they provide sufficient resources to do what you need, especially as you look to grow your site. If you find yourself outgrowing your server, it's not a terribly painful process to transfer that domain to another server (like a dedicated server suggested by Mark).

The important thing to look at is how much traffic will be generated, the amount of information that would be transferred on each page call, and from that you should be able to determine if the page is best driven by a database like MySQL or from static code. Regardless, it is still my opinion that getting started with a cheap company while you grow is an ideal way to get into the market.
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by cbsturg
    Regardless, it is still my opinion that getting started with a cheap company while you grow is an ideal way to get into the market.
    Cheap as in $7.95 a month? Or even part of a multiple hosting account at pennies a month?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    Cheap as in $7.95 a month? Or even part of a multiple hosting account at pennies a month?
    Personally, I don't know that I would go any lower than $6-7 / month. I mean, for a $150-200 investment, you can get hosting for up to two years. That provides you more than enough time to get your program up and running. If it grows out of the hosting company before then, move it and start developing a new idea on the cheap company's space.

That's my two cents...
    Chris Sturgill

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Oscar, an abw member, has set up this page to test two important parts of permissioning that most people building php-mysql sites want to run on a host to know they can parse php on .html pages and that they can have permissions to control the rewrite engine. Before you signup with anyone long term,, if you plan to parse on pages other than .php extension AND plan to mow-rewrite urls, might want to ask around if the particular host allows both.

See here for more:
    http://mydatafeedscripts.com/phpparse/

When it comes to database and PHP work I find ssh very important. This is going to be readily available on a dedicated host, but most shared hosts don't offer it. I know Bluehost does if you send them a copy of your driver's license. There are others that offer it as well. Maybe you don't know how to use it, but it's very handy if you want to hire a developer to work on your site.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I recommend you check out HostMonster. They encourage affiliates to sign up using their own links, and they only charge $4.95 a month for a 2-year contract, or $6.95 for a one-year contract. They pay $90 in comission, so you get the site for free on the one year deal... and end up pocketing a few bucks along the way.

The really nice thing about HostMonster is that you can host an unlimited number of domains on one single account. I have about 10 active sites hosted on one account... all for $4.95 a month (erm, almost free that is because I used my own link to sign up for two years).

They have all the other goodies too, like Fantastico script support (automated installation of Wordpress, Drupal, phpBB, etc, etc), unlimited email addresses, FTP, and statistics tracking.

Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    I recommend you check out HostMonster.
    HostMonster is actually where I'm currently located. I have found their support to be really responsive and generally knowledgeable. I used to go through BlueHost, but HostMonster is owned by the same group of people and offer more resources at a lower price. After my $90 commission, I think I paid something like $40 for two years of hosting.

That's pretty hard to beat, especially when you consider the resources they offer and the 24-hour support. I would recommend HostMonster to just about anyone looking to get started. Like their sister company BlueHost, SSH is supported once you fax them a copy of your driver's license.
    Chris Sturgill

Affiliate Manager
    try hostgator. We have been very happy with them and they have low cost shared packages.

You can try vds plan of jumpline hosting free for one year
    I just wrote a blog about them few days back here - http://ommblog.instruite.com/2007/02/14/jumpline/

or even I resell hosting just let me know your budget and exact requirement and I will let you know what kind of package I can provide

Quote Originally Posted by sthbodyjewelry
    try hostgator. We have been very happy with them and they have low cost shared packages.
    I currently have a hostgator account and have been using this one account to add new domains. So any new site I start lately has been only costing me the price of domain registration. Also have moved a few low-producers to this host - this is a nice alternative to simply scrapping the site and domain. I have a few other more productive sites that I have kept on their own hosts as well.

I guess what I am afraid could happen is a high usage site added on this way could shut down all my hostgator sites from the account.

As cheap as shared hosting is you could mirror your site in two places and switch if this load factor thing bites you.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    As cheap as shared hosting is you could mirror your site in two places and switch if this load factor thing bites you.
    Thats actually a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    I guess what I am afraid could happen is a high usage site added on this way could shut down all my hostgator sites from the account.
    I can't imagine a datafeed site with only about 1k products creating any kind of usage issues. It's when you've got tens of thousands of products and you aren't indexing your databases properly that you'll run into usage issues.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread