Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Post What Digital Camera are you using?
    What Digital Camera are you using?

I have a Canon A60 but I think it's too bulky to bring around. Works fine but in 4-5 years, I think I am lightyears behind. Kind of embarassing to zip out a brick when taking pics.

I am looking to buy a new one which is slimmer and with good features. Optical zoom x3-4, 6-8m-pixel, slim, video capability and decent size screen. budget of <$250
    I have considered the Casio EXILIM, Sony DSC, Canon SD

Went to lots of review site and the jury is still deliberating on a good camera.

I had a different set of requirements when I chose mine. I was looking for an excellent optical zoom with image stabilization and the ability to capture video. I chose the Canon PowerShot S3IS. It has 12x optical zoom, 5 megapixel, a myriad of great options, and can take 640x320 30fps video. It uses 4 AA batteries, and can take hundreds of pictures on a set. It's a little bulky and the price was near $300, but it's perfect for what I wanted.

I do want something smaller that I can always carry with me, but that's going to be in the form of a camera phone. I'll be getting a Motorola KRZR with Cingular, which was a 2 megapixel digital camera built in. That way, I can capture fairly decent pictures (2MP looks okay as an 8x10) those times when I don't have my camera with me.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    I've got an old Canon Powershot that I've had for awhile. It's only 2 megapixels but it works great for what I need it for. In the future when I upgrade I'll get another Canon, only brand for me as far as digital cameras.

I currently use a Panasonic Lumix FZ5 and I love it. This model is a couple of years old. If I were to buy a new camera today I would buy a Leica D-Lux 3 (basically an updated and re-named Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2). It's a bit more expensive than your budget, but I believe you can get the D-Lux 2 a bit cheaper. I'm a big fan of the Panasonic Lumix series and Leica lenses, I've had a great experience with my FZ5.

I am an Olympus man.

I've got the Canon 510. Think they had it on the market for a few minutes. lol They were supposed to be the best for their size at the time, sold out real quickly, got probably the last one lol after looking all over for it and waiting. Immediately after almost they came out with their newer models that had more megapixels. Rrrggghhhh. lol Was going by Consumer Reports. I know nothing about cameras.

We have a canon powershot S2 at our place. Its quality and features are great, but if I were to buy a new camera, I'd want one without the shutterlag that so many digital cameras suffer from. Off hand, i don't know which camera that would be, but I expect I'd be paying a bit more than what I paid for our powershot.

We seem to get good snaps of landscapes and general portraits, but I've also missed some great photos due to shutterlag. Just something to be aware of, if you're not already.

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    Love Olympus with Film, but went to Canon for Dig. Have had a Canon Ixus 4 (Powershot 4) for some time, 3x's optical, 4mg, a little larger than a matchbox, perfect for covering trade shows and the likes and more than adequate for web work. There are more betterer models available now of course.

Got a Canon EOS350D last year with a gaggle of lenses for more creative stuff, very happy, although hanging out for a 1D.
    [url=http://www.dWoz.com/][b]dWoz[/b][/url] - serious webmaster tools & resources.

I've got the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1. 98% of my pictures are taken either at a race or Disney World, so zoom was my biggest concern and it's got 12x optical. It's 5.1 megapixels with image stabilization.

In auto mode the camera doesn't like low-light situations, but I shoot most all of my pictures during the day. It will take good night shots, you just have to forget about auto mode. Over all I've been happy with it.

Here area couple of pictures I took at Disney World back in '05, just to give an idea. I barely had the camera at the time.

http://wdwflorida.com/temp/dis1.jpg

http://wdwflorida.com/temp/dis2.jpg (this one was actually in auto mode)

http://wdwflorida.com/temp/dis3.jpg

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Quote Originally Posted by Kruder
    We have a canon powershot S2 at our place. Its quality and features are great, but if I were to buy a new camera, I'd want one without the shutterlag that so many digital cameras suffer from. Off hand, i don't know which camera that would be, but I expect I'd be paying a bit more than what I paid for our powershot.

We seem to get good snaps of landscapes and general portraits, but I've also missed some great photos due to shutterlag. Just something to be aware of, if you're not already.
    I had an S2 before I bought the S3, and it seems quite a bit better on shutter lag. Also, if you press the button halfway (with most cameras, not just these) it will focus on that spot. Then when you press the button the rest of the way, it takes the picture almost instantaneously.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Canon D20, and I absolutely love it. I'm still trying to perfect time values and apertures, but from what I've seen, any Canon is so true to actual color that I'm never disappointed in results. That said, when I'm capturing spontaneous life moments, then I love my Moto SLVR.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm happy with my se k800i cell phone which has a 3.2 mp camera in it and takes very nice photos but i would like a canon digital slr like the EOS 20D or one of the new models.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Affiliate Manager
    I got a cheap $70 Fujifilm digital camera... but it is good for catching Orbs.

http and a telephoto
    I love my Sony, but they don't make it any more and I dislike the upgrade so will be going to ebay to grab one or two more of the same thing I have. It is definitely not small and definitely not less than $250. But it takes great pics and ok movies.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I have a Fuji F810 which I love. 6.3Mp, tough build, auto is great for almost everything, but there's a load of manual settings to override when you want to -shutter speed, aperture, metering, focus.I got it because it's the closest to an old manual 35mm I could find, i.e. there aren't just 5 buttons and endless menus to change even the simplest setting. It starts up fast too, has a big bright screen and takes great pictures - and I got an undewater housing for a fair price too!

Downside is that they don't make it any more but you may find one if you look.

Otherwise, the F10 or E900 are good replacements.

Thanks guys. I do not thin SLR is for me cos of the size and I have the A80 (3x optical, 4mp) and that is already big. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec.../canon_a80.asp

Looking for something I can easily fit in my coat pocket. Will hit BestBuy later today

-DSC-H1 - not sold anymore. I think it's a SLR though.

Thanks everybody and MC, cos I think I need to look for a image stabilization camera too

Image stabilization is really only useful for mega zoom cameras. Anything in the normal range (3-4x or less) really doesn't benefit much.

You might want to look into a Canon Digital ELPH or something like that, if size is what matters most to you. For instance, the SD700. It's 3.6 x 2.2 x 1 inches.

Also, you might want to try dpreview.com's Feature Search. Use Format: Ultra Compact. I searched for Ultra Compact, Under $200, 100mm (3x) or more, built in flash, and 2" or larger LCD and found ten. It looks like 3x zoom and a 2.5" LCD is as much as you can get in an Ultra Compact in that price range.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Image stabilization is really only useful for mega zoom cameras. Anything in the normal range (3-4x or less) really doesn't benefit much.

You might want to look into a Canon Digital ELPH or something like that, if size is what matters most to you. For instance, the SD700. It's 3.6 x 2.2 x 1 inches.

Also, you might want to try dpreview.com's Feature Search. Use Format: Ultra Compact. I searched for Ultra Compact, Under $200, 100mm (3x) or more, built in flash, and 2" or larger LCD and found ten. It looks like 3x zoom and a 2.5" LCD is as much as you can get in an Ultra Compact in that price range.
    Thanks. I thought stabilization was for the more advance digi cam cos I think panasonic had an Ad on TV.

I will check out the DP review query

I love my Olympus Camedia C-60 with 3x optical zoom. It fits in a pocket and takes great pics - everything from capturing high speed in bright lighting conditions to taking time exposure pics at night. I spent around $500 but I saw it for around $300 at Overstock. I spent the extra bucks and got the entire package with the manual. At Overstock you only get the camera with no accessories and you have to figure out how it works on your own.
    ~Ernie

http and a telephoto
    I stayed away from Olympus initially because of lag between hitting the shutter button and when it actually grabbed the shot. Not useful for what I needed a camera for I need it to "Go" when I hit the button! That may have changed with newer models.

Eric, let us know what you get and how well it works, I should get a small camera for indoor and family type shots that don't require the 8mp mega camera
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

using a canon digi rebel (d350) auto focus went out after 15,000 images but happy with it all in all ability to change lenses was what i needed, but have been impressed with some of the Fuji models for capability and Kodak for simplicity.

I think Sony only uses a memory stick so your locked there, but they have great quaility and color, Casios have seen mixed reviews especialy in the color consideration and Canon always shows well.

things to consider might be media used (cf faster than sd and xd etc), digital focus is not nearly as good as optical, you want video ...do you want sound with that too? Power source...AA rechargables are great, if you run outa juice you can always just buy some AA bats

Carolyn.... D20 what are you shooting up?

I had an S2 before I bought the S3, and it seems quite a bit better on shutter lag. Also, if you press the button halfway (with most cameras, not just these) it will focus on that spot. Then when you press the button the rest of the way, it takes the picture almost instantaneously.
    Nice, Michael! Thats sounds like a good improvement. Though it might not be quite enough for my telephoto bird & wildlife shots which seem to be where I feel shutterlag the most. I'm expecting that I'll have to buy a Canon D-something for that (maybe next Christmas

ABW Ambassador
    I had a different set of requirements when I chose mine. I was looking for an excellent optical zoom with image stabilization and the ability to capture video. I chose the Canon PowerShot S3IS. It has 12x optical zoom, 5 megapixel, a myriad of great options, and can take 640x320 30fps video. It uses 4 AA batteries, and can take hundreds of pictures on a set. It's a little bulky and the price was near $300, but it's perfect for what I wanted.

I do want something smaller that I can always carry with me, but that's going to be in the form of a camera phone. I'll be getting a Motorola KRZR with Cingular, which was a 2 megapixel digital camera built in. That way, I can capture fairly decent pictures (2MP looks okay as an 8x10) those times when I don't have my camera with me.
    I also have the S3 IS, and absoultely love it. However, I was wishing at Summit that I had a smaller one to take snapshots with. The S3 IS is great for pictures with the family, though.

Michael

My photography lecturer once told us that all this 'image stabilization' feature is just a marketing hoax. He explained how it worked and all but i don't remember in detail.. I might just google it up and post again later.

I have a semi-SLR Olympus and a Canon Powershot (don't remember the models). I'm pretty happy with the Canon.. fairly great quality for basic use. My semi SLR olympus is bulking as hell (but hey, all SLRs are like that) but it packs a ton of features and the photo quality is great! I USED to have a Nikon Coolpix and I think it sucked! Pics were extremely blurry etc... Nikon's just great for professional cameras.

Btw, is it just me or were MANUAL cameras (not digital) not as blurry / sensitive to camera shake as digital ones? I don't recall developing blurry photos from manual cameras so I'm just wondering

(Optical) Image Stabilization is definitely not a hoax. There is a very noticeable difference when it's turned on (on higher zoom pictures). I've taken several myself to compare, and I've seen examples of the difference on dpreview.com. I did a quick search and here are some other examples of how image stabilization helps:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/page6.asp (near the bottom)

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...on-Tested-.htm
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast