Post How To Avoid The Three Most Common Affiliate Mistakes
    Affiliate marketing is one of the most effective and powerful ways of earning some money online. This program gives everybody a chance to make a profit through the Internet. Since these affiliate marketing programs are easy to join, implement and pays a commission on a regular basis, more an more people are now willing in this business.

However, like all businesses, there are lots of pitfalls in the affiliate marketing business. Committing some of the most common mistakes will cost the marketers a large portion taken from the profit they are making everyday. That is why it is better to avoid them than be regretful in the end.

Mistake number 1: Choosing the wrong affiliate.

Instead of jumping on the bandwagon, try top choose a product in which you are truly interested in. For any endeavor to succeed, you should take some time to plan and figure out your actions.

Pick a product that appeals to you. Then do some research about that product to see if they are in demand. Promoting a product you are more passionate about is easier than promoting one for the sake of the earnings only.

Mistake number 2: Joining too many affiliate programs.

Since affiliate programs are very easy to join, you might be tempted to join multiples of affiliate programs to try and maximize the earnings you will be getting. Besides you may think that there is nothing wrong and nothing to lose by being part of many affiliate programs.

True, that is a great way to have multiple sources of income. However, joining multiple programs and attempting to promote them all at the same time will prevent you from concentrating on each one of them. The result? The maximum potential of your affiliate program is not realized and the income generated will not exactly be as huge as you were thinking initially it would.

The best way to get excellent result is by joining just one program that pays a 40% commission at least. Then give it your best effort by promoting your products enthusiastically. As soon as you see that it is already making a reasonable profit, then maybe you can now join another affiliate program.

The technique is to do it slowly but surely. There is really no need to rush into things, especially with affiliate marketing. With the way things are going, the future is looking real bright and it seems affiliate marketing will be staying for a long time too.

Mistake number 3: Not buying the product or using the service.

As an affiliate, you main purpose is to effectively and convincingly promote a product or service and to find customers. For you to achieve this purpose, you must be able to relay to the customers that certain product and service. It is therefore difficult for you to do this when you yourself have not tried these things out. Thus, you will fail to promote and recommend them convincingly. You will also fail to create a desire in your customers to avail any of what you are offering.

Try the product or service personally first before you sign up as an affiliate to see if it is really delivering what it promises. If you have done so, then you are one of the credible and living testaments aware of its advantages and disadvantages. Your customers will then feel the sincerity and truthfulness in you and this will trigger them to try them out for themselves.

Many affiliate marketers makes these mistakes and are paying dearly for their actions. To not fall into the same situation they have been in, try to do everything to avoid making the same mistakes.

Time is the key. Take the time to analyze your marketing strategy and check if youa re in the right track. If done properly, you will be able to maximize your affiliate marketing program and earn higher profits.

Interesting take, Sage. I have a feeling that many affiliates (both around ABW, and beyond) will not agree that these are the "three most common affiliate mistakes" [italics mine]...

Quote Originally Posted by sage58
    Mistake number 1: Choosing the wrong affiliate.
    You might want to change that to "the wrong merchant".

...and, of course, welcome to ABestWeb!

Geno

ABW Ambassador
    Copy and paste article marketers, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Copy and paste article marketers, lol.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    "Since affiliate programs are very easy to join, you might be tempted to join multiples of affiliate programs to try and maximize the earnings you will be getting. Besides you may think that there is nothing wrong and nothing to lose by being part of many affiliate programs."

Really depends on your business plan. If someone's running an online mall, this would not apply, but thanks for trying.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

and...

4) Concentrate on one site at a time. One up to date, complete site, will earn more than many small out-dated ones.

This seems to be very common with affiliates.

web dev with whiskers tn-morgen's Avatar
    My model uses several merchants and products, but they all tie into my niche. Maybe they all don't make sales every month, but overall, the site is profitable. It's content, not fluff, that sells items.

And yes, I agree, try the item yourself. It's really important to give your "review" honestly and if you believe in the product to promote it.

Nice article! When I first got into this, I was doing a lot of the "mistakes" but learned over time. I never got into the "aggregate" stuff, so I didn't have to go through that learning curve. I always went for a site and stuff it with products. I've learned to reduce the number of products and only promote a few really, top quality items. However, sticking with only 40% commissions or above would remove a lot of items or directions from my site. I don't mind lower commissions if the product is easy to promote, has lots of applications or is widely indicated.

My site is one where I give advice, so if the product works, I promote it. If it doesn't or isn't applicable in a particular situation, I don't. I want my readers/customers to return when they have a question later, not just drop in, see a lot of ads and run for cover. I'm building relationships.

This was just a canned article that the poster found somewhere. For an even better discussion, see this thread:

Most Common / Deadly Affiliate Mistakes
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Nothing but illadvised spam for his homepage link of crap.

Measuring ROI
    When measuring ROI, I find EPC to be the most important metric out there. What good is a high payout/commission when the conversion sucks balls?

EPC = Earnings Per Click (usually 100 clicks)

Ex. If someone clicks on my text link or banner ad 100 times, how much would I earn in revenue?

For beginners (and everyone else included), at the end of the day, you have to focus on a metric that compares apples to apples. EPC is that Metric, and you'll see it used everywhere. Make sure you look at a recent EPC like 7-day and something longer term like 3 MONTH EPC. These are the standard timelines on CJ for example. EPC allows you to look at all affiliate programs equally.

Note: Make sure your EPC is always higher than what it cost you to generate those 100 clicks.

Geoff Marcy
    [B]geofferson marcy[/B]
    [I]affiliate manager[/I]
    [URL=http://www.advaliant.com]www.advaliant.com[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.dna11.com]www.dna11.com[/URL]

Thanks so much geoff for this very informative and educational thread you shared us all.

I am certain that this have shed a glare of light to those having difficulty measuring their ROI.

Briefly explained. Concised and Crystal...clear.

Thanks mucho!!!

As for me it's better to join a lot of affiliate programs of the same theme and promote them on a one site. I don't recommend to concentrate on one or two programs, because sometime there are difficulties with payments or delays in some affiliate programs. So if you promote one or two affiliate programs these delays or problems will reflect on you.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread