Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Do you register multiple domain extensions?
    All of the domains that I have registered until now have been .com. I never really thought anbout using any other extensions.

I was just about to register some new domains, when I saw an offer to get additional extensions registered, at a really cheap price.

For another $8/yr. total, I can add .biz, .net, and .info. to any .com registration.

Questions: Do some of you regularly do this and is there any real benefit in this? (other than keeping someone else from registrating something similar to your million-dollar name) If so, how do you use these multiple names?

Thanks for the info.

If you get them, just redirect them to your primary name.

They're $8 total now, but they'll be $8 each when you renew them.

If you have the .com, I don't see any real benefit of having the others. People don't mistakenly enter the others. They mistakenly enter .com.

If anything, having them available for others to register might be beneficial. If someone registers the .net, for instance, and builds an incredibly successful site, some percentage of their visitors will mistakenly type .com instead of .net.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks,

Pretty much what I thought, but I figured I might get some other opinions as well. I guess not.

If anything, having them available for others to register might be beneficial. If someone registers the .net, for instance, and builds an incredibly successful site, some percentage of their visitors will mistakenly type .com instead of .net.
    Added benefit of NOT doing it.

I went ahead and registered domains today with just .com, as usual.

I wouldn't see the need unless your someone like Google. And then you should look into registering commonly misspelled variations as well. I know Yahoo has registered Yaho for those who get typing a little too fast. But if your not concerned with proprietary rights to promoting a name to that extent, I echo Michael's sentiments.
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Depending on the niche and the uniqueness of the domain name, I don't do the dot biz etc stuff, but I will do closely similar domains such as if you had a coffee site named Mountain Bean.Com, doing also "The" MountainBean.com. That way I can better protect the monetization of my site, especially ppc driven revenue.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I also do not see many benefots of this, don`t be afraid that someone can register it, for this there is uniform domain name dispute resolution policy approved by ICANN in 2004 year, if I am not mistaked, than handles such issue of unauthorized registration of the domain-trademarks, if certainly you have your company registered and so on and so forth

To put it another way, if your registrar is marketing the other TLDs to you at such a low price...consider that they have likely concluded that there isn't much of a market for those names.

ABW Ambassador
    if you go for extensions go for the countrywise ones not the .net .biz etc and always try to get the typo ones, with the hyphen or similar ones etc

i too believe that if you get a .com domain thats it people very rarely go for a non .com domain except if there is a countrywise one (in case you target other countries as well)

I've noticed that major foreign companies whose main sites are on their country TLDs buy the .com and redirect. If KGP's advice is relevant to you - that is, you get non-US traffic - then you could do the reverse and redirect to your *.com

If you plan to spend money promoting a 'brand' then you would be wise to consider other extensions as well as the .com.

The primary reason for registering additional extensions is to avoid 'brand' dilution. If your site is joescoffee.com and someone else registers joescoffee.us and builds a site that is unprofessional or offers lousy service then "joescoffee"s reputation could be damaged.

Many people looking for joescoffee will type joescoffee into their search engine and joescoffee.us could be better optimized for search and therefor show up first. Then you lose business.

If you plan to market to other countries then consider ccTLDs as well. In an attempt to make search results more relevant some search engines (Google for one) attribute more importance to a local site. for example Google.ca provides different results than Google.de
    While com is the #1 choice some countries assume their own country code first or just may prefer to deal with a merchant that is local (or appears to be)

At only $7.00 or $8.00 a year it is a lot cheaper to get an additional extension now than to spend $2000 in legal fees in an attempt to wrestle it away from somebody else a couple years from now.

ABW Ambassador
    I have been doing this for something around 10 years, own about 300 domains. I have never run into the issue cera described. Alt-extensions are a bad investment with little or no return on your money while proecting you from an almost non-existent problem.

A cheaper alternative if you were that paranoid would be to trademark your domain name. Because unless you are going to grab every single extension, the problem cera describes can still happen, and every single extension is going to cost you plenty more than $2000.

Chet

Thanks, Chet.

Interesting how everyone who responded to this right away said what you are saying, and that it took 6 weeks for other opinions to be posted.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    And it might hurt your brand if somebody registers one and creates a terrible website or one with the purpose of ruining your brand.

Quote Originally Posted by cera
    If you plan to spend money promoting a 'brand' then you would be wise to consider other extensions as well as the .com.

The primary reason for registering additional extensions is to avoid 'brand' dilution. If your site is joescoffee.com and someone else registers joescoffee.us and builds a site that is unprofessional or offers lousy service then "joescoffee"s reputation could be damaged.
    Exactly!

I think it just comes down to how important your brand is to you.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    I have been doing this for something around 10 years, own about 300 domains. I have never run into the issue cera described. Alt-extensions are a bad investment with little or no return on your money while proecting you from an almost non-existent problem.
    I know somebody registered my .info variation a while back and did some things I wasn't too happy about. The only reason they registered it was to poke fun at my site. Fortunately they didn't bother to renew it and it disappeared.

- Scott

A cheaper alternative if you were that paranoid would be to trademark your domain name. Because unless you are going to grab every single extension, the problem cera describes can still happen, and every single extension is going to cost you plenty more than $2000.Chet
    Trademarking your domain doesn't guarantee that dispute resolution would be in your favor. In my example domain "joescoffee" there are probably a dozen joes' coffee businesses in the US that could claim rights to that one, and many more in other countries.

I would never recommend that anyone register every possible extension. Unless you are likely to be doing a considerable amount of business with the island of Tokelau or the Seychelles then you probably don't need to worry about .tk or .sc

ABW Ambassador
    and trademarking in us doesnt mean you can win a case in another country because you just happen to have a trademark in us

The only time I do all the extensions I can is when I have a feeling (or thought) that the domain might be pretty popular in a couple of years. I made the mistake of not doing this early on with a domain that I just knew would do pretty well, and sure enough when it reached the Top 10 results in google (for it's niche) the other extensions were soon gone and scrapers threw up their sites on them.

It's just too darn expensive to do it for every domain, but those that you have a good feeling about go for it and just redirect the extension to the .com.

IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by nakedgamer
    It's just too darn expensive to do it for every domain
    Not if you don't use a lot of domains.

- Scott

Another reason to register more than just the .com

Get the .net and put up a site for your affiliates.
    Get the .info and point it to the section of your site that provides info about your company, uses for your product or related content.
    Get the .biz and use it for the wholesale end of your business, B2B

Add a link or 2 on each of these sites to your primary domain.
    There now you have 3 more sites that can be SE optimized for different keywords that all work to increase your main site's profitability.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    Not if you don't use a lot of domains.

- Scott
    Some of us use more than one.

ABW Ambassador
    So buy extra extensions, to avoid someone abusing you on one of them. But you don't need to buy all of them? Because...

Its like betting someone $50 you will outlive them. Its bet you lose either way.

And I am not sure why someone would want to create duplicate content sites these days, but... sure.

Chet

So buy extra extensions, to avoid someone abusing you on one of them. But you don't need to buy all of them? Because...

Its like betting someone $50 you will outlive them. Its bet you lose either way.Chet
    You buy the .com and maybe some of the other TLD's that might actually become handy some day and might make sense for your business. If someone wants to 'abuse' you, they'll find a way - you can't cover all the bases.
    And I am not sure why someone would want to create duplicate content sites these days, but... sure.Chet
    No-one suggested duplicate content sites, that would be dumb.

Hope you're just playing devil's advocate chetf. It's really not that difficult a concept to grasp.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread