Shareasale Datafeeds
    Hi. Can someone point me to where the layout and field descriptions are for the datafeeds from Shareasale. I can't seem to find it on their site if it's there. I can guess by the data but for some merchants certain fields are empty. Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by DHolland
    Hi. Can someone point me to where the layout and field descriptions are for the datafeeds from Shareasale. I can't seem to find it on their site if it's there. I can guess by the data but for some merchants certain fields are empty. Thanks for your help!
    They use to have this:

ProductID|Name|MerchantID|Merchant|Link|Thumbnail|BigImage|Price|RetailPrice|Category|SubCategory|Description|Custom1|Custom2|Custom3|Custom4|Custom5|LastUpdated|Stock

SaS-recommended specs for merchant datafeed files are:

"SKU","Name","URL to product","Price","Retail Price","URL to image","URL to thumbnail image","Commission","Category","SubCategory","Description","SearchTerms","Status","Your MerchantID", "Custom 1", "Custom 2", "Custom 3", "Custom 4", "Custom 5"

Some of the above are compulsory, while others aren't. Some merchants try to make their feeds as full and as helpful as possible, while others don't...

Geno

Thanks guys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    SaS-recommended specs for merchant datafeed files are:

"SKU","Name","URL to product","Price","Retail Price","URL to image","URL to thumbnail image","Commission","Category","SubCategory","Description","SearchTerms","Status","Your MerchantID", "Custom 1", "Custom 2", "Custom 3", "Custom 4", "Custom 5"

Some of the above are compulsory, while others aren't. Some merchants try to make their feeds as full and as helpful as possible, while others don't...

Geno
    Geno, the SaS datafeed comes with a Pipe delimeter ( | ) not comma ( , )

Not - "SKU","Name"

But - ProductID|Name|MerchantID|

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Geno, the SaS datafeed comes with a Pipe delimeter ( | ) not comma ( , )
    Sal, in this case, these are just two different ways to say the same thing [I upload it in one format, you see it in a slightly different one]. What've pasted above was copied from the ShareASale requirements listed as datafeed guidelines in every merchant account with SaS.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

It's important to know "which SAS datafeed format" is involved.

The datafeed that merchants submit to ShareASale is comma-delimited; it contains a different sequence of fields than the datafeed that SAS serves to affiliates. The datafeed served to affiliates is pipe-delimited.

Merchants must submit their datafeed in this quote-and-comma-delimited format:

(see http://www.shareasale.com/m-productmassupload.cfm - merchant login required)

Affiliates receive a datafeed in this pipe-delimited sequence:

ProductID|Name|MerchantID|Merchant|Link|Thumbnail|BigImage|Price|RetailPrice|Category|SubCategory|Description|Custom1|Custom2|Custom3|Custom4|Custom5|LastUpdated|status

(see http://help.shareasale.com/index.php...kbarticleid=39)

I believe that any text field can be up to 255 characters, except for the "Description" field which has no fixed limit and may exceed 255 characters.

Note that the "SKU," "Commission," and "SearchTerms" fields submitted by the merchant are NOT included in the datafeed delivered to the affiliate unless the merchant chooses to also place some of this data in the "custom" fields. The category and subcategory fields are submitted in numeric form by the merchant, but are served in the affiliate datafeed as text. I believe that the merchant's "SKU" field is what maps to the SAS "ProductID" field in the affiliate datafeed (thus the ProductID for a product doesn't change unless the merchant's SKU changes). Also, note that the field sequence is very different: for example, the sequence of the thumbnail and "big" image URLs is reversed.

As others note, many merchants leave the "custom" fields blank, and sometimes other columns as well.

Extensive error-checking is required when importing datafeeds. Some merchants include non-standard characters (like Æ å ë Ǿ and such) and HTML in their text fields (especially product name and description, but sometimes the custom fields also), and often the HTML is truncated or corrupted. One SAS datafeed I loaded today ended many product descriptions with "<BR" -- with no closing ">" -- and I've also found headline (H1/H2/H3) and list (UL/OL/LI) tags embedded in descriptions, as well the more common <b> and <i> and <u> tags. Sometimes a description will include an href tag and a link URL (a non-affiliate link, of course). Another datafeed had "transliterated" trademark symbols, so I'd find things like "Niker" (for Nike ® ) and BladeT (for Blade ^TM). Of course, the real fun comes when table tags are embedded.
    Last edited by markwelch; February 18th, 2007 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Clarification

Not to mention that some of the graphic images may not always exists for some merchants using the URL in their datadfeed.

I suggest that you spot check a few before adding a zillion products to your database.

--Brian

Given how important UPC, Manufacturer, and Manufacturer Part Number are to cross referencing products, I'm astounded to see that ShareASale doesn't have these columns built into their datafeed format.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread