Inbound Links - Best strategy for 2007?
    Now I know a lot of folks will say that all you need is good content and they will come. Also there is the minimum content crowd that seems to prosper. Anybody that would want to throw some good references at me would be appreciated.

I did some searches here at ABW and am believing that things have changed to make some out of date. For example could SSanf's strategy from April 2004 still work?
    Don't know why but three sites now up to PR6 and the others almost universally up to PR5. Not much has changed.
    I don't swap links generally speaking. All incoming links, other than self generated, are volunteers. I have no content on the sales sites other than the names of the products for sale, just affiliate links.
    But, Google likes the way I design pages. Actually, they may not be pretty, but they aren't bad and they have what people want in my area of expertise. Maybe, that is the clue. They have what people want.
    Don't know that it really matters. What is important is how the search terms come up and they were generally OK before.
    I just keep building sites on different domains and linking the whole mess together. Must be that.
    Post Link

Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    Now I know a lot of folks will say that all you need is good content and they will come. Also there is the minimum content crowd that seems to prosper. Anybody that would want to throw some good references at me would be appreciated.

I did some searches here at ABW and am believing that things have changed to make some out of date. For example could SSanf's strategy from April 2004 still work?
    Post Link
    It may all depends on how you get visitors to your site.

But it would also depends on what you do with what you read, or think about what is the best way, and if you decide to go by what some people may say its the right way, and the only way to do it.

Btw, where is SSanf? (Last Activity: February 9th, 2007) (I want to see my favorite back, and posting on ABW)

ABW Ambassador
    "Inbound Links - Best strategy for 2007?"

Always have been good, always one of the major factors SE's look at. One way incoming links are the best.

This is the part I had doubts on:
    I just keep building sites on different domains and linking the whole mess together.
    I have read enough here and there to make me think G sees this as a negative now if it's detected. Am I wrong?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    if it's detected (and it likely will be), it's a big negative. besides that, this strategy has another problem. think of pagerank like water (page rank) in a bucket (website) - you get your site filled up more and more by getting links from sites that can pour a little of their water into your site. roping together a bunch of empty buckets leaves you high and DRY, surrounded by a tangled trip hazard. if seo traffic is your goal, NOTHING is more important that quality backlinks.

search g for "seo excessive cross linking" to learn more:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=seo+e...+cross+linking

If you are specifically talking about 2007, I think the social sites will continue to drive a lot of traffic. Digg, technorati, wikipedia, slashdot, stumbledupon, etc... can all provide nice one way links.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Social sites will make a lot of the "headlines" in 2007, but to be honest, a lot of the old ways work - good content will continue to produce decent links naturally, and so will cranking out the "please link to me" emails, quality directory submissions etc.

Linking OUT is often a good way of getting good links IN to, as well as having it's own inherent value

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by TallTroll
    Linking OUT is often a good way of getting good links IN to, as well as having it's own inherent value
    Good point especially with blogs.

TallTroll wrote: > "Linking OUT is often a good way of getting good links IN too, as well as having its own inherent value." <

I'm curious what others think about this? Does "linking out" still trigger "linking in"?

I know that in the 1990s, if I added links to a site, I'd often find that those sites would (without any request from me) learn about the link and link back to my site. I assume they were "finding" my site in their log files or reports as a source of traffic.

My experience over the past few years has been different: nearly zero "unrequested" links, even when I send out lots of traffic to other highly-relevant sites.

In 2006-2007, I generally send out a "notification" email to sites that I link to, advising them that I have posted a link, and asking them to let me know if they want it removed or if they'd like me to change it somehow. I also mention that if they think my site would be useful to their visitors, I'd appreciate a link from their site, too. I rarely get any replies these emails, and almost zero return links. (I think most "link request" emails are "tuned out" because of the huge volume of scammy "link exchange" and "reciprocal link" emails.)

Affiliate Manager
    Mark,

With blogging I notice a lot of traffic coming from sites that I link to. Mostly because the majority of blogs have track back functionality. I also see websites link back when we link website to website. Does it happen always, NO, but sometimes it does.

I agree. Linking out is a good strategy. However, make sure you are linking out to relevant sites, sites with value to your visitors. Random linking out could actually hurt you SERP's, or cause you to rank for some odd keywords.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

I agree. Linking out is a good strategy. However, make sure you are linking out to relevant sites, sites with value to your visitors. Random linking out could actually hurt you SERP's, or cause you to rank for some odd keywords.
    My best site has a good bit of content, and I link out whenever I think the link will actually help the visitor understand my topic. I have never worried about a link back in return. This site is PR 5 with good search rankings, and I have never done more than the Open Directory for linkage. It is also my best affiliate money maker. It has plenty of naturally acquired inbound links.

I need some faster action though. I don't mean quick fixes. It's just that I don't have time to do gobs more content and wait for sites to mature. I am developing strategies that are going to require me to be more methodical and involve a lot more effort.
    If you are specifically talking about 2007, I think the social sites will continue to drive a lot of traffic. Digg, technorati, wikipedia, slashdot, stumbledupon, etc... can all provide nice one way links.
    This is my step one.

Thanks for all the help.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by MINDsprinter
    agreed

Well speaking specifically about Google. All sites are the same niche

SIte A - Purchased and traded links with similiar sites and got many incomming links.(Not to many about 10 incoming links per month for 2 years) No traffice from google.

Site b - Have not purchased any links and have not made any effort to build links. (As of 2 months ago ranks very well in google)

Is this a new algorthym?

You can really never tell. Links are important, but they are not everything.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread