Google Sitemaps
    Hello,

I have finally created a sitemap for one of my websites. Could anyone tell me how long after submitting your sitemap to google does it take to start indexing pages? Is it a matter of days or months????

Thanks for your help.

Talking
    If you have submitted a properly formatted xml sitemap to Google Webmaster Tools and verified it using meta or blank file (I would suggest uploading the blank file) in the root directory, the sitemap could be "processed" in a matter of hours. Your pages are not all going to get indexed at once, so expect that to come over the course of days for your higher importance pages (0.5-1.0) and the course of weeks for your lower importance pages (0.1-0.4).

Of course, the benefits of having a validated sitemap with Google go way beyond getting your pages indexed. You can find out which of your pages have the most incoming links, who is linking to those pages, what URLs are producing 404 errors (so you can redirects them ), where the people are coming from to produce the errors (so you can request they change the link), which terms you are ranking well for, which terms you should be optimizing for based on what Google sees on your site, whether you are being penalized, etcetera, etcetera.

Google Sitemaps is the best thing to happen to SEO since the 301 Redirect - conspiracy theories aside.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrock
    Hello,

I have finally created a sitemap for one of my websites. Could anyone tell me how long after submitting your sitemap to google does it take to start indexing pages? Is it a matter of days or months????

Thanks for your help.
    In my personal experience after submitting sitemaps to google
    my index page got indexed in google within 3-5 days and then with time number of pages indexed gradually increases

Arrow
    of course, your mileage may vary. take a look at their site after a day and see if any problems with pages were reported.

and yes, it is a good thing.

I've moved to the META format. Google Sitemaps apparently has trouble finding the same file it found before, frequently. So then I'm no longer verified, until it decides it can actually find the same file it's found many times before.

Since switching to meta I've not had any more problems. It may just be me, but the problem was just annoying.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread