Hi all,

I've got a question about links. If I'm building a mall-type site, I won't necessarily need deep/product links, and can build many pages for a variety of categories with different merchants, with each merchant generally appearing on one page (e.g., a sporting goods merchant appears on the sporting goods page). However, I'm working on a more focused site and have selected two merchants that fit a particular niche.

Now, one of the merchants has no product links, and the other lacks product links for the products I'm focusing on. That means I'm stuck with generic links, and I'm not sure how to stretch those across the many keyword-targeted pages I intend to create. How many different ways can you link to the root of two sites? If the site lacks content, and is only intended to sell, yet can't focus on specific products, what should I write about? This is for Google, and all of the pages will be linked, so of course just duplicating the pages isn't an option, and even slightly-modified pages are likely to cause problems at some point.

How is this generally handled? I can't say "Hurray for Merchant A" on every single page!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Just giving this one a little nudge up.

If anyone has any advice they can share on this, I'd really appreciate it. I've got some major over-analysis paralysis happening here. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

On mall-type sites, it's generally a link to the root of the site with some "hey, these guys offer x, y, and z" text, right? But on niche-type sites promoting basically one merchant, isn't it handled a bit more surreptitiously? That bridging the gap between your site and theirs, your message and the exit link to their site, that occurs? If I had a specific product I could link to, I'd outline the benefits and link to the product page on the merchant site--it seems so easy that way. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I guess it's the gray area somewhere in-between a generic link to the root of the site (clearly defined) and a specific product link (also straightforward).

And the other conflict this creates is between my sales goal and my SEO goal. I've got about 8 keyword-phrase pages I want to inter-link and use, but if they all have to link to the same merchant home page, it's a sloppy sales path for the customer. In that case, just get 'em on the home page, and get 'em the heck off and onto the merchant site, right? But from an SEO standpoint, I don't want a one-page wonder . . . .

ABW Ambassador
    You're probably not going to like my recommendation. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

JUST START BUILDING. And see what works for you.

You'll find as many different theories, strategies, and linking plans as you will successful affiliates. There is no ONE WAY that works for everyone.

And the great things about the web is, if it doesn't work, you can change it -- with very little monetary investment.

My best suggestion is to think about what you would want it to look like if YOU were the shopper and go from there.

-------
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

niche merchants rule!
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

umm, my URL below is not for affilitates. we're working on another url for affils.

http://www.drycarpet.com
    Thousands of happy users

Hi Cedric!

Thanks. I'm still a little unsure about how to approach this one--it seems like it's either going to be a one-pager (bad for Google) or basically the same spiel again and again across multiple pages all linking to the same page (bad from the customer's POV?).

If you or anyone else has any other tips that can be shared, please enlighten me!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    It's hard to offer tips when we have no clue what you're selling (though, I'm not asking). [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Different products sometimes require different strategies.

IMO, I'd go with what's best for the customer, but that's a shot in the dark without seeing what you're doing.

I have one website that get's 99% of my "one-pagers" -- most people never see the front page of the site, they come from the SEs to those specific pages.

-------
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread