Capturing AffiliateIDs and Phone Orders
    A large proportion of our customer base are older. Many are retired and many are leary of buying online. Early on we had a ton of requests to accept phone orders and so set up a new number and implemented the script Shareasale has for displaying the AffiliateID next to the phone number.

At first we displayed the number at the bottom of our nav menu, but the script call to Shareasale bogged our site down so bad that our page views per visitor were more than cut in half, so we pulled the phone number and now only display it on our contact page.

Unfortunately, I believe we're losing sales and affiliates are losing commissions by not being able to prominently display our phone number, so I'm wondering if there is any other way to capture the affiliateID on our end and pass it through the session, as well as potentially read the ID from returning visitors' cookies.

Anyone have any luck with something like this, or other alternate methods of tracking phone orders back to affiliates? I know a lot of merchants don't bother, but I was an affiliate long before I was a merchant, so that just won't fly with me.

Thanks!
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    ... but the script call to Shareasale bogged our site down so bad that our page views per visitor were more than cut in half
    Are you serious? I find that almost impossible to believe.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    A few of the accounts I work on display the code on every page with no problem...however, if you are having slow load time issues, then perhaps put the phone number on every page, keep the script on your Customer Service page, and train the phone reps to always ask for the priority code. Phone reps should be able to direct the consumer to the proper page to get the priority code.

Priority code is useless unless phone reps are asking for it anyway, right?
    best,
    Carolyn
    ShareASale Client Services
    Y!: SAS_CTang
    e: ctang(at)shareasale.com

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Are you serious? I find that almost impossible to believe.
    Yep, I'm serious. I don't have the exact stats, but from the usage patterns I was seeing in the log files (average pages accessed per unique IP) and the size of the files themselves compared to average, there was a pretty dramatic drop in page views per visitor. I was also seeing much longer load times myself. As soon as I pulled the number and script call, everything went back to normal.

I think the main problem is the delay happens at the beginning of the page load and it was happenning on every single page. Customers who normally surf all over the site were visiting a few pages and bailing.

Brian posted about it somewhere in here in the last few weeks, but I'm not finding it now. Essentially he said they recommend using the script only on the contact page to avoid the delay.

Carolyn, thank you for the suggestion. I may go that route eventually, but I was really hoping to somehow grab the affiliateID on my end and pass it throughout the site. That way I could still display the code on every page, but avoid the slow load times.

One of the other big reasons I'd like to capture the affiliateID is so we can credit affiliates on incomplete order recoveries. We convert pretty well on calling customers who entered their details, but did not complete the order for whatever reason. Without capturing an affiliateID, there's no way for me to track those back to a referring affiliate.

One way to handle this would be to create an option that, if enabled on the merchant's account, would append a variable (the affiliateID) to the merchant's destination URLs.
    Eathan Mertz

We have used unique 800 numbers by affiliate. That 800 number is tied to their affiliate ID in our system. That way the rep doesnt need to ask anything....
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

Eathan,

There is a area in the settings portion of your SAS interface that says "Send SSAID Information (Advanced)". If you turn that on it will attached the SAS ID onto the end of your url which you can grab and cookie yourself (needs to be persistant not session) and store in your database or write a script or whatever you would like.

That way you host your own scripts.

Hope that helps.
    KK

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lilly
    We have used unique 800 numbers by affiliate. That 800 number is tied to their affiliate ID in our system. That way the rep doesnt need to ask anything....
    Thanks, Joe. I've had personalized toll-free numbers as an affiliate and given them out as a program manager and I love the seemless tracking they offer, but we're not doing the volume to justify it quite yet. I wish we were...
    Eathan Mertz

Quote Originally Posted by Kristin Collier
    Eathan,

There is a area in the settings portion of your SAS interface that says "Send SSAID Information (Advanced)". If you turn that on it will attached the SAS ID onto the end of your url which you can grab and cookie yourself (needs to be persistant not session) and store in your database or write a script or whatever you would like.

That way you host your own scripts.

Hope that helps.
    Kristin, thanks! I believe that is exactly what I'm looking for!

Woo hoo! Off to check it out...
    Eathan Mertz

No problem. Glad I could help.
    KK

The silly part is, I had selected "yes" when I first set everything up back in December and totally forgot all about the setting and what it was for.

This new parent stuff isn't so good for short-term memory...
    Eathan Mertz

Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    This new parent stuff isn't so good for short-term memory...
    Lol, I totally understand what you mean!!
    KK

He's an amazing little guy, but he doesn't always let me get my beauty sleep...
    Eathan Mertz

My little boy, Braedon is 18 months now, and has been sleeping through the night for the last 9 months. It has been great!! Now he is getting into everything and talk talk talk talk. In the morning it's "moooooooooooooooooooooom mooooooooooooooooooooooooom! Daaaaadaaaa! MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM!!" when he is ready to get up. haha. It's cute!
    KK

Have you thought about your server? Looks like an IIS running Cold Fusion. Is it up to the load? It is dedicated, right? Just some thoughts...

As mentioned above, I also like the idea of dedicated toll-free numbers (I currently have four companies providing them to me - so, as an affiliate, guess who I am most loyal to...). You might consider a few for your top performers - to see if it improves their numbers/your numbers.

Not meaning to butt in, but just thought I'd toss some ideas out there...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Trying to help, here's something I use when I'm having slow pages.

http://getfirebug.com, read this page: http://getfirebug.com/net.html

It's made for Firefox. It works like a dream. One of the neat little features it has will tell you exactly how long each item on your page takes to load [in milliseconds] in an easy to read format. If something is slowing down your site this will tell you exactly what it is.

btw it's free.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristin Collier
    My little boy, Braedon is 18 months now, and has been sleeping through the night for the last 9 months. It has been great!! Now he is getting into everything and talk talk talk talk. In the morning it's "moooooooooooooooooooooom mooooooooooooooooooooooooom! Daaaaadaaaa! MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM!!" when he is ready to get up. haha. It's cute!
    Oliver is 5 1/2 months now. He's actually been sleeping through the night since 6-8 weeks, but he still likes to get up a bit earlier than I do. He's got his first tooth now, and another on the way, so the last few weeks have been a little tougher than usual. All in all though, he's not been a fussy baby.

[QOUTE=Beachy] Have you thought about your server? Looks like an IIS running Cold Fusion. Is it up to the load? It is dedicated, right? Just some thoughts...

As mentioned above, I also like the idea of dedicated toll-free numbers (I currently have four companies providing them to me - so, as an affiliate, guess who I am most loyal to...). You might consider a few for your top performers - to see if it improves their numbers/your numbers.

Not meaning to butt in, but just thought I'd toss some ideas out there...[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, it should be up to the load. I have a few other sites on the box, but it's running well below capacity. It was just when we added the script that things took the dip. Otherwise, all is well, and thanks to Kristin, we'll be able to set it up to achieve the same goals without the script.

As for the toll-free numbers, I'd love to, but we only launched the program in December, so future top performers haven't had much of a chance to rise to the top. We really won't know much until our peak season hits in Spring and Summer, though sales have already started picking up.

As far as butting in goes, you're not. Even if you were, I do my fair share as well and would never fault anyone for doing the same to share ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    Trying to help, here's something I use when I'm having slow pages.

http://getfirebug.com, read this page: http://getfirebug.com/net.html

It's made for Firefox. It works like a dream. One of the neat little features it has will tell you exactly how long each item on your page takes to load [in milliseconds] in an easy to read format. If something is slowing down your site this will tell you exactly what it is.

btw it's free.
    Thanks, I'll check it out!

CF debugging works pretty well for timing of each template call on a page, but something that did the same with remote script calls and such would be pretty handy.

Thanks again, all!
    Eathan Mertz

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread