Ever lost a domain name after typing it in just a few minutes ago?
    I've heard it a couple of times here (I think Rexanne was one) that had their domains stolen from under them from some conniving company/person, after searching for the domain availability.

I don't know much about the issue (and havne't really had it happen to me yet), but I found an interesting article that may shed some light on the subject:

http://www.dailyblogtips.com/domain-tasting/

My apologies if this has already been posted or talked about.

Cool
    worth repeating.

15 years and counting
    Yep, I lost a few after checking too many with some crooked domain registrars.
    I'm very careful, now. I've to read this article.

I never check domains availability for that reason.

I jut make a list of domains and if its available i take it if its not i move on to the next one on thelist.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    I never check domains availability for that reason.

I jut make a list of domains and if its available i take it if its not i move on to the next one on thelist.
    When I first started out, I never knew such a thing existed. Even lately, I ignored all possibilities that this could happen (thankfully it hasn't yet - likely b/c my domain names were all piss poor..)

But I bet every single newbie out there has no clue about it, and are losing a lot of good domain names...

Back in 2000 when I started buying domains, I never heard of this happening, But I always feared that if I entered my name into the domain search that the registar might like the name and register it before me.

I'm curious as to whether there are certain sites where this happens more often than others. For instance, when I search for domain names at Godaddy, I don't have problems (does anyone else?). Maybe we can come up with a list of trusted sites where anyone can search for domain names without worrying about having it sweapt from under them....just an idea.

ABW Ambassador
    Haven't had problems searching at godaddy or buydomains.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Maybe we can come up with a list of trusted sites where anyone can search for domain names without worrying about having it sweapt from under them....just an idea.
    I would think that ABestWeb's domain registry would be at the top of this list.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, theres no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Affiliate Manager
    Network Solutions has never let me down.

I had it happen to me once on Godaddy, but 5 days later when the kiter got their refund, I was able to register the domain. I was pretty annoyed at the time because the first thing I did after losing the domain was do some research on domain kiting where I stumbled upon Godaddy Bob's anti-kiting blog...

Anyway, try registering it 5 days from the original registration date. You might get lucky.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    I would think that ABestWeb's domain registry would be at the top of this list.
    Duh didn't know ABestWeb had a domain registry. Why isn't this blasted about regularly. I'd much rather buy domains from ABW than anyone else.

And yeah, I have an issue with GoDaddy registering domain names. Seems any variation on a name I buy is never available after the initial purchase. Drives me crazy. The last domain I registered was the name of my novel. The word, without the "The" was taken after I bought the title with the "The" domain. Considering this is a word I made up, no one else *should* have registered it or even thought about registering it. It was bought my someone in the West Indies 2 weeks prior to me buying my book title domain. Go figure. Still makes me nervous thinking about it.

Someone post a link to ABW domain registry so we can all use it. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Someone post a link to ABW domain registry so we can all use it. :-)
    Here it is, Rexanne:

http://www.abestweb.com/domains/
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Ah good boy!

Thanks!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

It happened to me not long ago. I was at one site and typed several different names in their search. I decided not to register it at that site, and headed over to GoDaddy. The name was still showing available at GoDaddy, but at the last minute I decided to register it thru my hosting acct at dreamhost. By the time I got into my dreamhost account, the name was unavailable. All of this occurred within about 10-15 minutes.

I believe that ABW is using Godaddy's reseller system are they not? Looks a lot like it.

Outsourced Program Manager paladin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nakedgamer
    I believe that ABW is using Godaddy's reseller system are they not? Looks a lot like it.
    Yes, is does, especially after you trace the domains and whois info in the frames.

That said, if you like GoDaddy and ABW, why not let ABW make the profit instead. However, if you had/have issues with GoDaddy I'd suggest staying away from ABW as well (just because of the back end, nothing to do with trust level of ABW).

ABW Ambassador
    it has happened to me in the past but I thought little of it then but now I'm aware it is a current trend for some domain registers to set up traps so they can steal our names. I have been following a very interesting discussion on this here lately. There is some reliable who-is sites named there too. I often use online name suggestion tools when searching names, I guess I will have to be more careful in the future. The domain industry is a pretty free-for-all mess right now, companies getting away with anything they like and no one is there to govern the industry (sort of reminds me of another industry) , just look at how little ICANN do in any situation like the recent Registerfly scandle.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread