Starting an Affiliate Program - What would you do?!?
    Over the past 10 years I have sent traffic to various affiliate programs made good money.

Now I have a product that I would like to sell. I would like to keep it in house if possible.

It would have a good $$$ per sale to the webmaster so I don't think that is a problem. We have in house sales people that sell it.

I would like to increase sales without hiring more sales people so I thought of starting an affiliate program...

I know that there are 1000's of programs out there. And getting webmasters to promote it is one of the tougher parts...

but what really concerns me is .....

Choosing a network to advertise the affiliate program ... Places like cj shareasale would handle the backend...

I guess the question I need answered is there a good reliable and inexpensive software package we can buy? To handle everything we need to run a program from start to finish? We do have a tech staff here...

Or would you just join an affiliate network to advertise & track everything?

If you run an affiliate program and you could do things different what would you do?

thanks in advance
    Bill

Groundbreak.com is reliable software, but I'd just go with ShareaSale, they are the affiliate's choice of favorite network 3 years in a row.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

http and a telephoto
    2savvy, if you do a search at ABW you will see your question answered many times over, with mostly the same advice, affiliates trust networks and are more willing to work with a new program if it is on a trusted network, like ShareaSale. There are hundreds of reasons why
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    There are hundreds of reasons why
    Mostly because we want to make sure we're getting paid while developing a working relationship with your company... Start with a network, move it in-house when it grows.
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

---- Soild Reasons ----

"affiliates trust networks" Ok That sounds reasonable because I do to....

Let me search around this board a bit to see if I can find answers to questions I have ...

Thank you for answering my question I am always looking for feedback .....

Although a network can give you visibility, don't confuse that with "just join an affiliate network to advertise & track everything". A successful affiliate program takes a lot of work by a good affiliate manager. Without one your program will have an intial honeymoon period on the network, a sudden spike in sales and they you watch things drop off.

Many times merchants confuse joining the bigger networks (and more expensive) like CJ and LS with being successful. I'd recommend you join a network like SAS where they are practical about what they charge, yet provide you with a full line of services and support. Spend that extra money on a good affiliate manager or if you try going in-house (hard to find someone qualified), you pass on a higher commission to your affiliates.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

"just join an affiliate network to advertise & track everything". A successful affiliate program takes a lot of work by a good affiliate manager. Without one your program will have an intial honeymoon period on the network, a sudden spike in sales and they you watch things drop off.

================================
    Yea I get this...

My problem is this I have made millions through the Internet advertising. Ranging in getting paid pennies per click to xx,xxx.00 for sales. FYI My work Title is Director of SEO. I get the internet advertising part ....

Now I want to be on the other side of the coin.... But I also need to be successful. I will be running the affiliate program for the most part ...

My whole reason for doing this is to show a company that they can increase revenue by using an affiliate program... plus I will make a little $$ myself.

Right now I am trying to give myself the best opportunity for success and this message board seems like a good source of info...

Thanks

What sort of products do you plan to sell with your new affiliate program?

GrainFarmer

Quote Originally Posted by 2savvy
    "just join an affiliate network to advertise & track everything". A successful affiliate program takes a lot of work by a good affiliate manager. Without one your program will have an intial honeymoon period on the network, a sudden spike in sales and they you watch things drop off.

================================
    Yea I get this...

My problem is this I have made millions through the Internet advertising. Ranging in getting paid pennies per click to xx,xxx.00 for sales. FYI My work Title is Director of SEO. I get the internet advertising part ....

Now I want to be on the other side of the coin.... But I also need to be successful. I will be running the affiliate program for the most part ...

My whole reason for doing this is to show a company that they can increase revenue by using an affiliate program... plus I will make a little $$ myself.

Right now I am trying to give myself the best opportunity for success and this message board seems like a good source of info...

Thanks
    If your problem is that you have made millions through the Internet advertising, then what do you want from us?

What other side of the coin do you want to be at?

If you already have made millions, are any part of those millions were made by parasitic activities?

Since you're 2savvy (too savvy), my WordWeb says that you're someone who have the cognitive condition of someone who understands what I am getting at.

Don't be hating...

I am including real estate commissions in my Millions.. The real estate market hasn't been booming like it was in the past.

I think this is clear enough. I am looking for advice..

Also I took over homebasedbusiness.com It would appear to be a good domain name for something affiliate related yes/no??

are any part of those millions were made by parasitic activities? Nada I am big lavasoft if that is what you mean.

What other side of the coin do you want to be at? Having an affiliate program instead of promoting someone elses...

I hope this helps ...

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread