ABW Ambassador
    If I were to host a flier on my site where users could enter their information into the ad and then print it, would you prefer to enter the info via an html form, or would you rather open a pdf file & type in the info? which would look more professional? which is most cost effective? are there any restrictions to either? anything I may be missing? Thanks [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

FreeCallz.com - Free and cheap phone services.

ABW Ambassador
    Go with HTML. First, not everyone has a PDF reader, and it crashes slower computers. If you really like PDF, then you could generate an optional page at the end of the session that shows the form filled in with the information you entered on the HTML.

As for looking professional. Well, that depends on the individual's perception, the only time PDF has an edge over HTML is when people go to print the document. If you keep the data separate from the form, you should give end users the option of printing out straight text, or a formatted PDF document.

I generally avoid PDF files. My computer is only a 500MhZ Pentium and barely has the horse power to display PDF. People with slower computers simply freeze.

Missoula - Short Stories

ABW Ambassador
    If the end product is a print piece that will be seen by someone who counts (i.e., customers), offer both PDF and HTML. With the PDF, you can rest-assured that they will end up with a professional-looking document (assuming it starts that way). With the HTML, you can rest assured that the people who can't figure out PDFs or who have computer issues will still have a viable option.

If the end product is not going to be seen by anyone that matters, go with HTML and rest assured that 99% of surfers will be able to figure it out and use it.

-------
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

ABW Ambassador
    well, the whole point is to have the document printed..that's why I started thinking about using pdf files. If the document were to be 10 pages long, which would you prefer?
    I'm also worried about the header & footer that will be printed by the browser (showing url, date, etc)...any ideas how to avoid that?

I'm a little worried about using both html form & pdf files...I wouldn't even begin to know how to program that or change a script to enable that function. There are going to be hundreds of documents & I'd like to take the site live sometime w/in the next decade [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by Celicaphile on September 17, 2002 at 01:37 PM.]

>>I'm also worried about the header & footer that will be printed by the browser <<

You won't get that if you're using PDF. If you can pull it off, PDF definitely makes for a nicer-looking print document as it was designed with that in mind. Printed html documents also end up with a lot of unsightly whitespace, which is something to keep in mind if you are printing long documents.

{

"Laziness, Impatience, Hubris. Pick any three" ~ YAPC 19100

ABW Ambassador
    another question on pdf files...is there any way to prevent people from saving these files? They will be in a password protected area, but I'd hate for another site to subscribe for a month, download all my files, end their subscription & have content to add to their site or set up a new one to compete w/ me...
    is there anyway to do this using .htaccess?

Personally I'm a pdf person. When I'm given a choice, I always choose to fill out a form in pdf. Not everyone has the software for pdf and far fewer people know how to enter text into a pdf document, so you can't exclusively have pdf on your site. However, I always appreciate being given the choice. Dave

(Similar to my post elsewhere...)

If someone can show me an easy way to generate PDF on the fly, I'll buy them a pint.

Sure, you can make a PDF file on your PC (lotsa tools for that) and put it on the web, but take in some user data and generate a new PDF that includes it? On the server? Not at all easily from what I've seen.

If you want to print their name in the middle of a blank page, fine(ish) - but if you want to insert it in the middle of a paragraph (say), then I haven't found tools that will do this.

Please prove me wrong - especially on *nix with PHP. I have a customer waiting [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Stewart Hutton | Are you Crazy?

ABW Ambassador

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pete:
    http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.pdf.php
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep - that's the stuff I've seen. Usually, I expect stuff to be difficult-impossible, then you find a "tool" that makes it do-able.

Creating PDFs on the fly seems to be an area where using the tools is in my difficult-hahahaha range.

It does look like there's a need for a higher level tool though - especially for something that uses a PDF template with placeholders for dynamic content. Maybe it exists but only in a much costlier world than the one I inhabit.

Stewart Hutton | Are you Crazy?

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread