Cool Cookie problem for merchant on multiple networks
    [Speaking with Affiliate Management hat] We have a program on several networks and it is sometimes leading to a few affiliates being paid for only one lead. So, for example, an affiliate on CJ, TradeDoubler and another network is being paid even though only one lead was generated, because there was a cookie for all three networks.

I have discussed technical solutions with a couple of people and obviously the merchant needs to make sure only the last referring affiliate gets paid. How can that be done?

Would the merchant need to see if there are different cookies and, if so, read them all and then only report back to the network whose affiliate led to the sale?

Thank you.

Technically, you basically just need to set a cookie on the merchant's end that determines which network the traffic came from. Then, during checkout, display the appropriate tracking code based on the cookie. I would also suggest that the default action (if you don't have a cookie set to tell which network it came from) would be to display all three tracking pixels. That way if something goes wrong on your end, it still tracks.

I should also point out that educated affiliates absolutely hate this. Basically, it causes parasites or cookie stuffers on one network to affect affiliates on ALL networks. Also, some networks do not allow you to conditionally show their tracking pixel. Check with each of yours to see if they have such a restriction.

Another way to accomplish this is to download all the data from all of your networks, consolidate it, and review it. Don't just assume that the latest click is the best. Research the ones that frequently "win". If a significant portion of their sales are overwriting other affiliate's cookies, there's a good chance that they're a parasite or a cookie stuffer. If I were an affiliate manager, I would typically let most multi-posted transactions remain. But I would be very quick to research the affiliates who benefit the most to make sure they were playing fair and terminate them if they weren't.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Exactly what Coley said!

(thanks MC!)

And change your mission to:
    I have discussed technical solutions with a couple of people and obviously the merchant needs to make sure only the last referring legitimate affiliate gets paid.

Really appreciate it. Thank you very much for your help guys.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    We have 4 affiliate programs on http://www.littlegiantladder.com/, CJ, AvantLink, Groundbreak (inhouse), MoolaMoola (inhouse development). We read the inbound referring url, record the click through and set a cookie which records which network the link came from. When a sale is made only one pixel is generated dynamically.

We tried the multiple pixels and had the same problem you described above. Feel free to contact me with more questions.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread