CJ Not Paying on Time - Is This Kosher?
    I thought CJ was supposed to hold the money in "escrow"... How is it exactly that some CJ merchants can pay me months late?

Is CJ actually allowed to do this (per our affiliate agreements).

How come some merchants (apparently the ones that don't pay enough) get shut down if they don't pay, and then some big ones are allowed to screw affiliates for months on end?

Why doesn't CJ make this clear? They seem to spend a lot of effort telling folks they're "safer" because they collect up front. But that seems to be... well, a lie....

CJ, why won't you disclose merchants who AREN'T PAYING AFFILIATES???
    Linkshare does it. There is a clear report on that.

Why does CJ not tell you, then just sweep it under the rug???

[There was a response from Trust on this one, to which I replied. But its missing now. It was about the CJ agreement saying they pay each month]

I get paid each month. But, is it not a violation if, say, half the amount I'm supposed to get is missing?

CJ has to pay commissions each month. But does it have to pay ALL commissions each month?

CJ has to be paid by the merchants (not all the amounts are held in escrow). Transactions can be extended, or they can be locked until the merchant pays CJ, and then CJ pays you the next pay period.

Yes, some merchants get away with months. The majority pay on time or within 60 days in my experience. A few get away with paying nothing at all.

I have asked CJ about this before (search posts) and they have responded they have to get paid first before they can pay you. So they place the blame squarely on the merchant. Perhaps you should contact the merchants in question?

CJ has always paid what they have been paid within a reasonable time around the 20th of every month.

I'm just glad CJ pays. I remember there were some merchants at linkshare that I wasted a ton of traffic on back in the day! CJ had always been good to me. They have some bad merchants just like any other network.

I'm with Core on this. At least they do eventually pay... well, most of the CJ stores.

I think the real question is, why doesn't CJ actually require all of its merchants to post their money up-front, so that the money is "there" for affiliates who have earned it?

This system is in place at ShareASale, where affiliates can check to see if a merchant has "low funds" status or "temporarily offline" -- and when a merchant is offline, the links stop working, so the merchant doesn't profit from unpaid clicks. It's not a perfect system, but it's far preferable.

Note that I have never had any CJ merchants default on their payment obligations to me, and CJ has always paid me on time. (Nor have LinkShare or BeFree merchants defaulted on me, to my knowledge, though there have been few opportunities to do so. Certainly, a number of merchants who ran independent programs did default, which is the main reason affiliates prefer to work with a network when dealing with new merchants.)

I've moved on and no longer do business with CJ or LinkShare. (CJ just processed my final payment, and once I verify that the payment has cleared my account, I will close the CJ account.)

I think the scam here is that CJ claims that they make merchants pay up front, but then you find out that there are a ton of "exceptions." Affiliates get left holding the bag, and this happens only because they were duped into thinking they are protected.

At least Linkshare is up front about how it works. They even tell you who has paid and exactly when. CJ pretends they have you covered, and then you find out its all a crock. You get no information, no updates, just a BS "trust us" that turns out to be worthless. I think that is a thousand times worse.

Scam? Well first off how much should a merchant put into escrow exactly? Who knows exactly how successful a program will be and on which months (some months being busier than others)? I can see the difficulty in determining what amounts for what merchants.

So they put $2000 in escrow and quickly eat that up in a week let's say. Then sure CJ COULD ask them for more immediately to continue or give them time to pay their bill by a certain date (which is basically what they do from what I understand). Some merchant fail to meet that timeline and thus we see us not getting paid.

So that part I understand, and then we should get paid the following pay period from those merchants. However, it's the ones that go 3+ months of not paying that make no sense to me.

> Scam? Well first off how much should a merchant put into escrow exactly?

Yes, scam.

Amazingly, CJ has worked out all the details. They hold some merchants to it. There is simply a declining balance, and you are notified when your balance starts running out. It isn't rocket science.

The scam is claiming that all programs work this way, but then forgetting to tell you that most don't actually do this.

And you might, in fact, be paid 6 months later.

Or, never, for that matter.

So, scam, absolutely.

I didn't like the title using Kosher word

Do you know if Pork is Kosher perhaps?

from webster's... Kosher - noun, proper; legitimate

Pork is never Kosher.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread