ABW Ambassador
    Quality Score Updates Are Live
    "Today, we began rolling out improvements to the Quality Score algorithm, which will update the Quality Score for keywords in your account over the next 3 to 4 days."

http://adwords.blogspot.com/

So good luck everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    "Today, we began rolling out improvements to the Quality Score algorithm, which will update the Quality Score for keywords in your account over the next 3 to 4 days."

http://adwords.blogspot.com/

So good luck everybody.
    thanks for the link.... very interesting.
    Victor Hanna, The BettyMills Company
    Home of Snack Rewards and the Double Markdown!
    Affiliate Login: http://www.GetBetty.com
    Signup Page: https://getbetty.com/affiliate_signup.aspx
    Home Page BettyMills.com

<click> campaign paused
    <click> campaign paused
    <click> campaign paused
    <click> campaign paused
    rinse, repeat,
    <click> campaign paused

Thanks for the warning Trust.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I wonder if this "Quality Score" is another way to throw people off with phony data, kind of like toolbar PR has been for those trying to get into the free SERPs...

God, it better not be incredibly drastic. I'm ready for a little bit of smooth sailing while I continue building my other sites - instead of always having to come back and fix, improve, fix, improve, etc.

I hope that they add the QS to the reporting options so that I can try to sort out what the scoring might be based on, but it does seems to do with keyword density..ie

single kw socred ok (heavy density)
    kw with 2nd kw scored great (2nd word unsupported on landing page)
    kw with other 2nd kw scored ok (2nd keyword IS supported on landing page)

seems it still needs some tweaks, but most of my poors have been removed from the current status.

do we have any idea how often this will be updated once in full release or how to trigger a rescore?

ABW Ambassador
    This is starting to remind me a little of the old Google Dance days where they would update the index once a month.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I wasn't familiar with the old Google dance, but I've been taking Google Shuffle lessons the past couple years.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

ABW Ambassador
    They tweak it every 2-3 months. I think this is the 4th update to it. This one is actually good since advertisers get more help with their displayed quality score.

Quality score generally affects those doing arbitrage or those who really s*ck at writing ads or landing pages.

[attribution to jen]

given this is a paid service there has to be a way to trigger review of the landing pages if you find you suck at writing an ad (as i do). Just waiting around for them to update you is not an option as your ads placement and CPC depends on it.

To think that I would have to wait months to have this updated can't be right, as i could have the landing page updated within minutes of finding out i have a poor QS. The is no way in hell i'm going to sit around waiting for them to update this so i can lower my CPC...much simpler to just start a new campaign / ad group

there has to be some trigger ...somewhere

Just reduced my two current active campaigns to $10 per day--and turned on the "Quality Score" column on the report page--to see what is going on--and what effect it will have for me.

Interesting (and somewhat pleased) that I got a few "OK" scores and the rest were "Great" scores. (Don'tcha just love those descriptors-makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, eh?)

Well, anyway on one campaign the plural version of the main keyword is listed as "Great" and the singular version of the same word is only "OK." And the difference in minimum bid goes from $.04 to $.15, nearly a four-fold increase. That example doesn't really seem to make sense. (...a polite way to say WTF?...) I suppose I'll just have to concentrate on selling several, rather than just one widget at a time. :-D
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

ABW Ambassador
    Understanding adwords is an ART
    On one client account my daily spend is set at about $2800.00
    The true spend is only $200.00 or so a day.
    There has been NO CHANGE over the last few days.

Mr. Mackin
    Last edited by Merchant Consultant Team; February 22nd, 2007 at 10:13 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    Is your client a merchant? I don't really expect these type of impacts to be hitting merchants anywhere near as an affiliate. Merchants are who actually sell products and services so their landing pages are pretty much on point if they go to the right page. And they're also the ones who can put Google Checkout on their sites, so Google wouldn't want to piss off potential customers. I think the last Google Slap primarily hit non-merchants. I'm wondering if any merchants got hit last time or this time so far? I just can't picture it.
    Last edited by Trust; February 22nd, 2007 at 10:45 PM.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The key for merchants is to never raise the keyword bids to trigger the MFA click trappers, or your daily limits get burned through in a few hours. Arbitridge playas are just middlemen poluting the internet with junk MFA clicktraps doorway pages laughing as they drive up PPCSE bids before jumping onto another ship.

Any real merchant management should spot the template keyword stuffed MFA cookied click traps run by their affiliates and demand the pages be removed or the MFAer be terminated from their programs. After all those automated MFA pages (using content scrapers) also contain their competition ads with absolutely no pre-sell or affiliate value-add involved in setting commission cookies.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    >>Is your client a merchant?

YES

No cart & no form.
    $10,000 sale

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Is your client a merchant? I don't really expect these type of impacts to be hitting merchants anywhere near as an affiliate. Merchants are who actually sell products and services so their landing pages are pretty much on point if they go to the right page. And they're also the ones who can put Google Checkout on their sites, so Google wouldn't want to piss off potential customers. I think the last Google Slap primarily hit non-merchants. I'm wondering if any merchants got hit last time or this time so far? I just can't picture it.
    My merchants Adwords all show GREAT except for a few general shopping terms where bids are well above 0.50. Those just show OK.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Oh, goodie. A whole lot more pointless changes based on inaccurate information on Google's part.

This is the stuff that makes my life as a search marketer so joyful.

Rant over.

I assume the update hit me.

50% of keywords min bids doubled.
    20% of them tripled.

I think I figured out the new formula.

[if] {advertiser} (credit_limit=available) [then] [min-bid=*2]
    [if] {advertiser} (not spending enough $$) [then] [min-bid=*3]

ABW Ambassador
    I guess it should be over by now. And it looks like I made it thru just fine and am even getting more traffic. So this one overall looks to be better for me. Slowing turning the faucet back on

Affiliate Manager
    definetly looks like things are better.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread